JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
girigiri (Offline)
JF Regular

06-20-2009, 10:47 AM

I have just returned from a 5 week stay in Japan, where I encountered many gaijin every day - almost all of them fellow students at the Japanese Language School I was attending.
Other than that, I saw a few in Kyoto Station, and Tokyo and Akihabara Stations. None in Shizuoka, Mishima or Shinfuji or Fuji or Nara or ... . Gaijin seem to be very thin on the ground indeed.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
i rarely see any foreigners except for me when i walk the streets. i saw a young australian couple yelling at eachother outside of a bar when i was walking around town (they must have thought i didn't understand english), but that was about it. japan is not overran by foreigners, even in tokyo i did not see but a hand full.
Your lucky day!

Are you sure they weren't French?

Cheers - Oz
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-20-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girigiri View Post
I have just returned from a 5 week stay in Japan, I encountered many gaijin every day - fellow students at the Japanese Language School I was attending.
Other than that, I saw a few in Kyoto Station, and Tokyo and Akihabara Stations. None in Shizuoka, Mishima or Shinfuji or Fuji. Gaijin seem to be very thin on the ground indeed.
Haha.. Kyoto station was my home turf

Non japanese everywhere.. A stroll into Starbuck's will prove that most of the time

Cheers - Oz
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM

This honestly seems to be a huge question. I cannot even count how many times I have been asked.

I encounter so very few foreigners that I can honestly say I probably notice and take note of every I do spot. I`d say an average of one spotting a week or two in warm weather. In cooler (cold) weather, almost never. Most of the time it`s in the direct vicinity of an English school. I drive quite a bit in my car, so this is over a huge area. If I were to stay in my direct area, only traveling by foot and bicycle - maybe I`d spot one foreigner every 6 months?

In other words, hardly ever.

Even when we visited some major tourist areas, I`d say maybe 2 or 3 obvious foreigners? I do think we saw one group of 9 or 10 students when we visited Nara.

There simply aren`t tons of foreigners in Japan. I can`t recall exactly where I read this so can`t pull up a link or be 100% sure of the figure - but if I recall correctly 80% of the non-Asian foreigners living in Japan are split between Tokyo, Saitama, and Osaka. The remaining 20% are spread over the rest of Japan. And even in Tokyo, depending upon where you hang out, you could go weeks without seeing another foreigner. Certainly no hordes wandering around where ever you go.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
zangachi (Offline)
New to JF

06-20-2009, 12:39 PM

my view is being changed completely

what i thought before:
the gaijin are everywhere, there are anime cosplay places everywhere, you can't walk cause of the amount of people, the streets are unbearable, the bathrooms are over-occupied, the shops are crowded with people especially anime ones with gaijin, the electronics and other items only found in the country like the mobile phones are hardly in stock, the cultural restaurants' seats are all taken during the morning, evening and the night and the population keeps increasing and increasing and it is becoming a disaster

what i think after:
the country is normal like any other country, with some foreigners here and there, the condition is fine, the places like streets/shops/places are neutral, it's crowded in some places like tokyo or osaka and quiet in others, most people are very interested in the country but 99.9% of them aren't going to live there(MMM's theory ) and it's just fine
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
06-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zangachi View Post
my view is being changed completely

what i thought before:
the gaijin are everywhere, there are anime cosplay places everywhere, you can't walk cause of the amount of people, the streets are unbearable, the bathrooms are over-occupied, the shops are crowded with people especially anime ones with gaijin, the electronics and other items only found in the country like the mobile phones are hardly in stock, the cultural restaurants' seats are all taken during the morning, evening and the night and the population keeps increasing and increasing and it is becoming a disaster

what i think after:
the country is normal like any other country, with some foreigners here and there, the condition is fine, the places like streets/shops/places are neutral, it's crowded in some places like tokyo or osaka and quiet in others, most people are very interested in the country but 99.9% of them aren't going to live there(MMM's theory ) and it's just fine
well, im happy that we changed your view to the good! Streets and places can be crowded as are the trains in the major citys if you are at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Oh besides the 1 % living foreigners i think Japan has about 2 Million Tourists a year wich is not so much considered this includes all countrys and Japans population is over 120 Million.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-20-2009, 03:21 PM

Japan is a very homogeneous society, perhaps 1% of the population is made up of foreigners, and of this 1%, 90% are Asian. The number of Western/European foreigners is very small, most of the foreigners you actually see are tourists and not residents.

The numbers of foreigners have been decreasing as of late due to layoffs in Japanese industry. Brazilian factory workers are being paid by the government to go home, and many of the expats who work in the financial industry have returned home as well.

The only places you'll find the sidewalks crowded with foreigners is Akihabara (where busloads of Chinese are dropped off to shop), and Roppongi, where the western foreigners tend to gravitate to. As mentioned, most of these are tourists.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-20-2009, 05:40 PM

There are very, very few gaijin in Japan compared to the number of Japanese people. Almost all of those otaku fanboys never make it to Japan, and if they do, it's for a visit, not to live there.

And the ones that do make it will find it bittersweet. Yes, it's JAPAN! But it's not like how it is in the manga and anime, it's real life, with all the difficulties, worries, and frustrations that involves. And yes, there is a ton of manga and anime to be found, a great majority of which is unheard of in the west! But it's all in Japanese, no English anywhere, so unless you know Japanese rather fluently, all you can do is enjoy the art, you can't really grasp the intricacies of the dialogue or story. Are you fluent in Japanese? Most of the otakus that dream of Japan are not, which means they may find all kinds of new treasures... and can't understand any of it, some times not even the title or the names of the main characters.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#19 (permalink))
Old
zangachi (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2009, 06:08 AM

i really appreciate everyone's replies and i am very grateful to you all
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-21-2009, 11:33 AM

As Nyorin said, It also depends on where you actually look.

Osaka city, Kyoto city, you can see many.

On the other hand, go to a country area in Nara, and you would be pushed to hunt one down!

Cheers - Oz