JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
mzamike (Offline)
New to JF

10-01-2009, 04:56 AM

No idea about the shift in appearance. I guess they want the foreign teachers to look more foreign? haha. that's what i was a little stumped on because i don't want to stick out more than i already would wearing some brown suit among a sea of blue, black and grey. haha...selling dreams...almost sounds like a comfort room advert.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2009, 12:48 PM

My own interview and hiring process was nothing to sneeze at. It was quite competitive, and I wasn't sure what to expect. The 2 places I had applied at previously said "thanks, but no thanks".

The third time was the charm, and though the process was very much like a marathon, I made it through with relative ease. As it turned out, the school I went to work for offered better pay and benefits than the other places I applied to.

If you want to teach, be persistent, but don't be too much in a hurry. If you don't do well in an interview, be sure to get some feedback, you want to know what you did wrong so you won't do it again in the future.

As for appearance, I wore a blue suit with a blue shirt and blue tie to my interview. But during my lessons I wore a brown suit with a brown tie. I was told after my demo lessons that I "looked like a teacher", and this might have been what tipped the scale in my favor.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
hippykiller1 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-06-2009, 05:27 PM

I interviewed with Aeon twice...

The first time (08), I didn't feel like I was ready so I backed out after the second; one on one in person interview.

I tried with them again a year later and after much contemplation. This time, I must have screwed up somewhere in the second interview. I don't know where and really wish I did.

So now, I'm going for a TEFL certification and I'll take about anything (so long as its not a scam school).
(#24 (permalink))
Old
utsu (Offline)
JF Regular

10-11-2009, 03:45 AM

wow! I'm new to this forum but not to Japan, and reading your stories has made me realize for the umpteenth time how hard those not on spouse visas have it here.

We used to live in Japan back in the 90s, then left and came back in June this year. I'm not a professional teacher. In fact, I'm not much of professional anything (used to work in advertising, LOL!) But getting a teaching job was ridiculously easy. Granted, I don't live in a big city and there's a lot less competition here, but still...

And this is what I heard repeated over and over at language schools that I got in touch with: we want female teachers. Blonde, skinny, cheerful females.

A couple of eikaiwas even said, "If you have any friends just like you who want to teach in Japan, please let us know. We can even sponsor them."

So maybe that's why guys have a harder time getting a job right now?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

10-11-2009, 04:03 AM

Wow GTJ;

Sounds like things have changed.

I knew nothing about English teaching when I first arrived in Japan and I definitelyw wasn't qualified coming from a retail background.

My first full time job in Nara was teaching. My first day with ten child students was an absolute nightmare!

They were swinging on the light shade, on the table, jumpig all over me, I did not have a cracker of an idea what to do.

My colleague Dave from California was also no help as he was in the same boat as me.

I would ask him what to do, and he would reply, "F*** MAN! I have no idea"

Luckily his guitar along with his skills came in handy for the classes. I think he ended up getting locked away for stalking the end of work hosties around the small town!

We had a great Japanese boss who became good friends, and indeed most of his friends were non Japanese.. he took us on many Osaka and Nara nightly tours

I ,always loved kids, so I strived to learn what I could eventually quietly studying ex Nova coleagues who were tteacher trainers, other foreigners who were good at what they did, and eventually I became good and all the kids, mums, and schools wanted me.

Once I was at this goodness level, I had no problems at all and could pick my own jobs. At this time In Japan, 5-6-7-8-9 years back, the English Teacher position jobs were many..

their were of course many teachers employed wo were bascically shie, and you wondered who was controlling the teaching market..

Sounds like things have definitely changed, degrees or not..

Cheers - Oz
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dustybunter (Offline)
New to JF

10-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post

I assume you have made the general preparations for job searching, but if you haven't, here's what I recommend. First, a navy-colored suit with a conservative tie, a black leather belt, and black dress shoes with leather soles. You should have your hair cut short, and very neatly.

Get an ESL or other kind of certification.

Be confident at your interview. Smile, be direct, and make them think that you are the right person for the job. If they ask you to rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being best), don't hesitate to immediately say 5. If they ask why they should hire you instead of someone else, simply tell them that you think you are the best person. Don't mention your personal life, whether you have a girlfriend, boyfriend, or whatever is not relevant, and will hurt your chances more than help.
You see, this is my first post, and my findings are totally different to those above.
I work PT for two companies , which I won't name, and have done for the last 3-years or so. This makes a FT salary for me.

I'd lived in Japan for about 2-years before this, getting by on a few jobs on a working holiday visa, then a 1-year working visa.
I'd had a lot of interviews. Guess I was younger and didn't take the work seriously...it happens when you're enjoying yourself...but bills have to to be paid, so I got myself sorted out.

Anyway, on with the show.
About the appearance issues. My hair is something like Mick Jaggers in the 60's. Coming from England, a lot of people say I'm "like The Beatles". Which one, I don't care. It's a funny remark.
Sometimes something recognisable about you can work in your favour like that.
At one of the places I work, there are also guys with longer, shaggier hair than mine. I've yet to see the fuss about a so-called "sensible" haircut.
Agree with the conservative suit. Black, white shirt. Black shoes and the belt is always the same colour as the shoes.

ESL certification? Don't waste your money, imo.
Look at the jobs that require it. Not so many.
A bit of experience, if you have, should go a long way.
Which, if you don't, then that will leave your personality in the interview to land you the job.
In the interview, any job interview, never say "think".
"I think I'm the best". Rubbish.
You should say:
I'm certain I'm, or I'm positive that I'm, or I believe that I'm...and so on...

The wife or GF thing can work both ways.
If it's brought up, don't elaborate on it too much.
The wife can be a sense of stability.
The GF can be seen as a possible distraction.

Just my little input for my first post.
Take it for what it's worth.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-11-2009, 09:52 PM

I feel that getting an ESL certification might help someone in the long run. It might put them up higher than those who don't have when applying to a job. It'll show that the candidate is definitely interested in teaching ESL as opposed to just taking the job for the sake of taking it. I'm working on my CELTA now. I'm sure this will help me out a lot. I already have a bit of experience...the teaching hours involved in the CELTA should help me as well.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
hunterofpeace (Offline)
New to JF

AEON interview attire for women? - 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM

I realize that this is a really old thread that I'm resurrecting, but I am quite curious about the attire for a woman applying to AEON. Most of these posts seem to apply to men (the tie gives it away). Are open toed heels a no-no? Should I wear a skirt suit instead of a pants suit? Are there any females that have applied in the past that would know? Also, is it altogether necessary to be ESL certified before the interview?