JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
hibarirei (Offline)
New to JF

Japan College help? - 12-24-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm currently a high school senior and I'm thinking seriously about attending college in Japan.
I've narrowed my choices down to four colleges, two in Japan, two in the US.
As for my Japan colleges, I've chosen ICU (International Christian University) and APU (Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University).

Both are very different from each other, to be honest.
APU is far more international, with an emphasis on learning languages and other cultures. Academically, it has a lot of what I'm looking for and would probably be the easiest to study at. It's also located in "country", more specifically, Beppu.

ICU on the other hand is in Mitaka, Tokyo. It doesn't quite have the majors I would like, but nonetheless, I'd become fluent in Japanese studying there and I could always pursue an education major.

Anyways, I was mostly wondering about the application process (because that's what I'm in the middle of now).
For APU, it's relatively straightforward, but for ICU, it's a lot more complex because the school itself is a bit more focused upon Japanese students.
Do you guys have any suggestions as for living options? Since ICU is in Tokyo, would you suggest studying there any more than Beppu? I think I'd make it work no matter which I choose, but hearing from people who live in Japan would probably help me choose one over the other.

If you guys just have other things to mention about either college, please share! I'll take it all into account.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-24-2010, 07:12 AM

I don't recommend Japanese universities tom anyone who is serious about their education. Japanese "universities" are mainly training facilities for future salary workers, and as such, you aren't likely to learn much by attending one.

There is painfully little real class work to do, and lectures are not interactive. University students in Japan come to class more or less when they feel like it; university years are actually considered a holiday of sorts, and these years are usually spent traveling or hanging out with friends rather than being spent in class.

You are better off studying at an American university.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I don't recommend Japanese universities tom anyone who is serious about their education. Japanese "universities" are mainly training facilities for future salary workers, and as such, you aren't likely to learn much by attending one.

There is painfully little real class work to do, and lectures are not interactive. University students in Japan come to class more or less when they feel like it; university years are actually considered a holiday of sorts, and these years are usually spent traveling or hanging out with friends rather than being spent in class.

You are better off studying at an American university.
Go ahead. Keep insulting the country you live in, the very country that gave just another ex-military man a chance to become a teacher and make something of his life. You are one of the reasons I try not to read too many threads here and stay in the language threads, where people like you and GoNative won't even think about coming near.

The narrow-minded and biased way you continually appear to be actually makes me relieved that I received all my education in Japan. Try saying what you have been saying here to your GF's family for once, such as how everything in Japan sucks and how you're in complete support of the A-bombings. I'll even volunteer to be your interpreter.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Interstingly enough, my GF went to an ivy-league university in America. Her father is on the board of trustees for one of Japan's top universities, and a couple of my friends are professors in Japanese universities. I am quite familiar with Japan's university system, and the fact that at the moment not a single Japanese university is rated in the world's top 25.

Many who work in Japan's educational system are lamenting the poor quality of Japanese university programs, even more so since NHK began broadcasting lectures from Harvard University on the weekend mornings. These televised lectures have started a shake-up of sorts, and some professors have begun attending lectures in America and the UK in order to improve their own classes.

I like Japan enough that I chose to live here, which should say enough.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-25-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
at the moment not a single Japanese university is rated in the world's top 25.
Actually there are two, depending on whose list you look at. Tokyu Univ. and Kyoto Univ. There are five in the top 100 in the world.

QS World University Rankings Results 2010 | Top Universities
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kkkyyyxoxo (Offline)
New to JF

05-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Whatever country you are studying in, your success or outcome or whatever all depends on what kind of student you are, I believe.

Last edited by kkkyyyxoxo : 05-04-2011 at 03:10 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
YMO (Offline)
New to JF

05-19-2011, 12:48 AM

Hibarairei,

Why those two universities specifically?

I teach at Tsukuba University, on its new Global 30 Internationalization program. Basically, foreign students can come do a full degree (biology, geoscience, economics, sociology, etc etc etc) here taught entirely in English (of course we will also teach you Japanese). As a public university, Tsukuba would be very much cheaper than either of those two you mentioned, and we are ranked higher globally. Of course, if those things are less important to you (you may have some odd onsen-fettish which drives you toward Beppu, for example) that's all good. However, you may want to consider one of the public universities' G30 programs. At Tsukuba, we have no entrance fees and first year tuition fees are waived for undergrads, saving you a million yen or more. If you are bright and willing to work hard, you might even get a scholarship.

Ours website can be found at Degree programs in English in Japan - University of Tsukuba

Feel free to post up any questions, and I'll try to answer.