JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
rickschmauss (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to rickschmauss Send a message via Skype™ to rickschmauss
Cool Discrimination?? - 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM

If you've been in Japan awhile, you'll figure it out.

I don't think it's a topic of discussion here. Many folks don't stay in Japan long enough to know how the social system works and how the average foriegner stands. Don't give it a lot of thought. Just enjoy your stay here.

Marrying into a traditional Japanese family is plenty to think about. Not to boast about it, but my family has camped on the same turf for 1200 years. As a newcomer to the clan, well........... sometimes it's tough to be accepted, even after 10 years of marriage, 3 kids and fluent Japanese. This doesn't necessarily apply to foreigners. A Japanese takes a bashing too.

Stay here awhile, and I'll be happy to compare notes and share insight. You new folks........... Just enjoy. I still do.

Rick
(#12 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

07-24-2007, 03:51 PM

In every nationality exists a nationalist.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
In every nationality exists a nationalist.
Exactly.Very well said.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickschmauss View Post
If you've been in Japan awhile, you'll figure it out.

I don't think it's a topic of discussion here. Many folks don't stay in Japan long enough to know how the social system works and how the average foriegner stands. Don't give it a lot of thought. Just enjoy your stay here.

Marrying into a traditional Japanese family is plenty to think about. Not to boast about it, but my family has camped on the same turf for 1200 years. As a newcomer to the clan, well........... sometimes it's tough to be accepted, even after 10 years of marriage, 3 kids and fluent Japanese. This doesn't necessarily apply to foreigners. A Japanese takes a bashing too.

Stay here awhile, and I'll be happy to compare notes and share insight. You new folks........... Just enjoy. I still do.

Rick
I agree. For some reason this topic keeps getting new threads. It's way too complex an issue to answer in a forum format like this.

Imagine "Who do Americans discriminate against?" and try and answer that fairly in three sentences or less.

The tone of the questions implies that the Japanese are racist, and I don't think THAT is a fair foundation for the question.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
sabrina (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2007, 03:23 AM

Nah, lol I didn't mean to point fingers. you guys should just chill. Insulting the topic & topic started is not constructive at all...if you don't like the topic, don't reply. So far so good with this thread...you're the ones being disruptive!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
invader1 (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2007, 03:25 AM

in my experience, they discriminate against americans, possibly because they are mad about ww2
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-25-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader1 View Post
in my experience, they discriminate against americans, possibly because they are mad about ww2
Are you sure that you live in Japan? Because Americans seem to be the *least* discriminated against in all of my experiences...

Unless, of course, you live right by a base. And then the reasons for discrimination have a lot less to do with any WWII issues than they do with drunken brawls and general misbehavior.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

07-25-2007, 05:33 AM

After looking at that guy's useless and childish posts, I doubt it. He could be a military guy, but otherwise he didn't move there on his own accord.

Probably just wants attention.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
sindri59 (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2007, 06:50 AM

Where I live , which is pretty up north, kids always look up at me and give me funny looks and say "gaijin da" and stuff like that but real "discrimination" is very rare at least from what I've seen and heard.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Jsleazoid (Offline)
J Loves You!

Send a message via AIM to Jsleazoid Send a message via MSN to Jsleazoid Send a message via Yahoo to Jsleazoid
07-25-2007, 08:09 AM

Ah. It seems I've seen this topic many times lol.
People in Japan have flaws and qualities just like everyone else.
I'm sure some of them have racist view points,
but that doesn't mean the whole country has them.
You'll be fine.
It's just like anywhere else.
>.<;;;

And to the topic starter, no one is being disruptive you're just being really defensive for no reason.

^.^

-J

M.Y.V=L.O.V.E
FAMILY
lpdirufangirl09-Daughter ^.^