JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#261 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-23-2007, 02:32 AM

a degree is a requirement, but where you get it will depend on your employer.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#262 (permalink))
Old
DarthKira (Offline)
New to JF

05-23-2007, 12:53 PM

I've recently been thinking about studying in Japan, is Todai a very good university? I want to get into Computer Science which is the minimum score that I would need?
(#263 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

05-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlade View Post
I don't think community colleges have a bachelor degree program. I spent two years at a community college to complete my general education classes and transferred to a university in order to work towards my bachelor's degree. You'll have to go into a 4-year college or university to get a bachelor's degree.
Your exactly right. Community colleges are only 2 years long. And the best degree you can get from one of those colleges is an Associates degree I believe.

If you want a Bachelor's degree, it is best to go to a university or 4 years college as GhostBlade has just said. (lol I pretty much repeated what he said)

Anways, I find it a waste of time to attend a communtiy college. Because if I go to college I want my Bachelor's degree. If you go to a community college, for 2 years, can you then go to a different school for 2 more and get the Bachelor's or do you have to do all 4??
(#264 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

05-23-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Anways, I find it a waste of time to attend a communtiy college. Because if I go to college I want my Bachelor's degree. If you go to a community college, for 2 years, can you then go to a different school for 2 more and get the Bachelor's or do you have to do all 4??
a lot of people go to community college to get their basic requirements (english, math etc) done with before moving to a (more expensive) university.
(#265 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Just curious is all. I love the place where I'm at, I live at the heart of California, I say that because I'm at the center of everything like Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and so on. About the degree, I recently (last night) looked up colleges in my area to see what suits me best and my potential needs to work in Japan, and luckily like I said above -- "I live in the center of everything", and I found a college where I can get my bachelors degree in 3 years or less. Now, the only obstacle thats in my way is basically learning, well speaking, Nihongo fluently. But since I'm so immersive in my studies I'll get there in no time, and luckily I'm just turning 17 which means I still have plenty of opportunites.

Also Jason, or anyone, can you pass me that link where they list jobs in Japan and whatnot?
(#266 (permalink))
Old
cello77 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to cello77 Send a message via MSN to cello77 Send a message via Yahoo to cello77 Send a message via Skype™ to cello77
05-23-2007, 07:06 PM

I am starting to question living in Japan. I love it so much, but I love my job and life here. If there were only 2 of me.

Last edited by cello77 : 05-23-2007 at 07:11 PM.
(#267 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello77 View Post
I am starting to question living in Japan. I love it so much, but I love my job and life here. If there were only 2 of me.
There's a fine line between love and life, if you feel you need to force yourself to live in Japan and force yourself to believe Japan is the place for you, then you can't necessarily say its love. I mean, if you love your life now and the people around it, then live that life to the fullest since you are probably hurting those people around you more than you are hurting yourself. Hopefully, you'll find what's best for you, and someday you won't regret that decision. All the luck, jaa ne.
(#268 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-24-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello77 View Post
Japan is not going anywhere. If you are satisfied with what you have know then go with it. Moving out and living in a place all knew to you is a risky business . You can always visit the country, if you have the time. That way you get to experience another culture before deciding to move and live everything behind. Good luck

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#269 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-24-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlll View Post
But since I'm so immersive in my studies I'll get there in no time, and luckily I'm just turning 17 which means I still have plenty of opportunites.
If you have the funds, study abroad. Almost any university that offers classes in Japanese will also offer study abroad opportunities. If you don't have the funds, many scholarships are geared specifically for students who go abroad.

Believe me, you'll learn more Japanese in a semester (or two) studying in Japan than you can in years. I just got back from studying abroad in Nagoya for a year. Prior to that, I had taken three years of Japanese. I thought I was pretty darn good at Japanese by that point (minus being completely literate with Kanji), but man did I end up learning a lot more once I had lived in Japan for awhile. The university I studied at offered intensive Japanese courses along with many Japanese-related courses all taught in English (cultural courses, economics, history, all sorts of topics).

There's absolutely no better way of ensuring your success in both Japan and the Japanese language than by studying abroad there. Not only that, but you get a real taste of what living in Japan is like and you can decide if it's really something you want to do in the future.

After studying abroad there myself, I've decided I want to return for a [much] longer period of time. I'm currently getting ready to apply for the JET Program (as a CIR, not an ALT )
(#270 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-24-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter
If you have the funds, study abroad. Almost any university that offers classes in Japanese will also offer study abroad opportunities. If you don't have the funds, many scholarships are geared specifically for students who go abroad.

Believe me, you'll learn more Japanese in a semester (or two) studying in Japan than you can in years. I just got back from studying abroad in Nagoya for a year. Prior to that, I had taken three years of Japanese. I thought I was pretty darn good at Japanese by that point (minus being completely literate with Kanji), but man did I end up learning a lot more once I had lived in Japan for awhile. The university I studied at offered intensive Japanese courses along with many Japanese-related courses all taught in English (cultural courses, economics, history, all sorts of topics).

There's absolutely no better way of ensuring your success in both Japan and the Japanese language than by studying abroad there. Not only that, but you get a real taste of what living in Japan is like and you can decide if it's really something you want to do in the future.

After studying abroad there myself, I've decided I want to return for a [much] longer period of time. I'm currently getting ready to apply for the JET Program (as a CIR, not an ALT )

Sou desu ne. Well, I'm still in high school and barely becoming a senior this upcoming semester, so I'm not sure where to start. How did you go about studying abroad, and if you don't mind me asking, how old are you by the way? I'm still fixated in attending college so I can get my bachelor's degree in business administration, which hopefully will take three years or less, so I'll be 21 by then. Afterwards, I plan on getting a job in Japan in a business environment, mind me, I say "business environment" since I'm not sure what I'm majoring in yet. Also, what's a CIR, is it better than a ALT (Jason is a ALT I believe) or any advantages over the other? By the way, when you say studying abroad", do you mean taking college courses over there?