LinkBack Thread Tools
(#271 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-24-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlll View Post
Sou desu ne. Well, I'm still in high school and barely becoming a senior this upcoming semester, so I'm not sure where to start. How did you go about studying abroad, and if you don't mind me asking, how old are you by the way? I'm still fixated in attending college so I can get my bachelor's degree in business administration, which hopefully will take three years or less, so I'll be 21 by then. Afterwards, I plan on getting a job in Japan in a business environment, mind me, I say "business environment" since I'm not sure what I'm majoring in yet. Also, what's a CIR, is it better than a ALT (Jason is a ALT I believe) or any advantages over the other? By the way, when you say studying abroad", do you mean taking college courses over there?
Well, once you graduate and move on to college, you would want to talk to a study abroad adviser at that college. They're the ones who explain the different programs (locations), how much they cost, the length of the stay, etc. That's pretty much how it worked for me. My major (Global Studies - which is a mix between international business and foreign language + cultural classes) basically required me to study abroad in order to earn my degree. I'm 21 years old now, finishing my senior year of college as I apply for the JET Programme.

The CIR is a Coordinator of International Relations. They make up only a small amount of the JET participants. However, the CIR program is sometimes regarded as a bit more prestigious, and the work experience is better. Back in the day, teaching English in Japan was the thing to do. However, it's starting to get a bit stale now. I know a few JET ALTs, and they all say they enjoy their job, but they also say that they barely get to use their Japanese in the workplace, and they also say they don't find the job real challenging. That said, 'Teaching English' doesn't look as good on a resume when applying to a Japanese company as it once used to.

So, I'm trying for the CIR position. It requires a lot higher Japanese skill (in fact, the JET Program advertises that you don't need ANY Japanese skill to be an ALT!). A big chunk of the interview for the CIR position is conducted in Japanese as well, and they test your Japanese right then and there. That said, I've been told a Level 2 JLPT score is recommended, although some have squeaked by with a Level 3 score. The CIR position typically has you working in a much more professional environment (oftentimes a prefectural government office or a town hall).

More on the CIR -> Coordinator for International Relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#272 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-24-2007, 08:52 PM

What's your bachelor's degree going to be? The CIR looks a lot more upscale in terms of work and so on, but I assume the pay shouldn't be half bad considering there's very few of them. I wonder why they don't have any in Tokyo considering it's a major city. What made you want to become one?
(#273 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-24-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Sou desu ne. Well, I'm still in high school and barely becoming a senior this upcoming semester, so I'm not sure where to start. How did you go about studying abroad, and if you don't mind me asking, how old are you by the way? I'm still fixated in attending college so I can get my bachelor's degree in business administration, which hopefully will take three years or less, so I'll be 21 by then. Afterwards, I plan on getting a job in Japan in a business environment, mind me, I say "business environment" since I'm not sure what I'm majoring in yet. Also, what's a CIR, is it better than a ALT (Jason is a ALT I believe) or any advantages over the other? By the way, when you say studying abroad", do you mean taking college courses over there?
In college you must take general education classes that have nothing to do with your major so that takes up a lot of time. Thus, I think it will take you longer than three years to get your degree unless you work your ass off to get 12-15 units in the summer and in the regular semester. I'm almost 21 and I'll probably graduate when I'm 23. Then again, I'm only taking 12 units during the semester and no summer classes. I may get 15 units next semester and keep doing so for the next few semesters and before I know it I will be at 12 extra units which is the equivalent of an entire semester if I take 15 units as opposed to only 12 units in the semester.
(#274 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-25-2007, 12:17 AM

Trust me, you can earn a bachelor's degree in three years or less, depending on the college you go to.
(#275 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-25-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
What's your bachelor's degree going to be? The CIR looks a lot more upscale in terms of work and so on, but I assume the pay shouldn't be half bad considering there's very few of them. I wonder why they don't have any in Tokyo considering it's a major city. What made you want to become one?
CIR's are paid the exact same as JET programme ALT's even though they certainly do more work compared to the majority of ALT's. Tokyo doesn't need any CIR's because it is an international city. And lastly, being hired as a CIR is difficult because not only are they few in numbers but also many JET ALT veterans apply for the positions each year from within Japan. Did you notice as well though that the number of CIR's is higher in the most isolated prefectures?

Last edited by jasonbvr : 05-25-2007 at 12:43 AM.
(#276 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Hey Jason, what degree do you have, and what do you major in? Just curious.
(#277 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-25-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Trust me, you can earn a bachelor's degree in three years or less, depending on the college you go to.
trust me, its a lot of work. Bachelors degree by default is 4 years. So if you want to make it shorter, then you can take or overload you subject for the semester, but it cannot be done just because you want to. You need to have your adviser's permission and the grade of your previous semester is also checked.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#278 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-25-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Hey Jason, what degree do you have, and what do you major in? Just curious.
Bachelors of Arts, International Studies with a concentration in East Asia. Minored in Japanese and Chinese.
(#279 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-25-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan
trust me, its a lot of work. Bachelors degree by default is 4 years. So if you want to make it shorter, then you can take or overload you subject for the semester, but it cannot be done just because you want to. You need to have your adviser's permission and the grade of your previous semester is also checked.
Now now, I never implied that there isn't any work involved, but yes, you need to work hard if you are doing something of the sort. For those of you who have a hard time believing me about obtaining a bachelor's degree in just three years or less, I would like to say first-hand it's highly possible. Like I said before, depending on the college you attend varies, both in criteria and educational background. Not all colleges follow the same guidelines and agenda. For example, you can obtain a bachelor's degree in three years or less at DeVry's University. If you still don't believe, check out the website personally.
(#280 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

05-25-2007, 03:49 AM

yeah it's certainly doable. a friend of mine graduated from UNLV and then just finished law school at St. Thomas and he just turned 25 this past weekend. and here i am just now talking about starting college at the age of 25 LOL