LinkBack Thread Tools
(#761 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Nara Park and Miyajima Island are the only 2 places I know of with deer freely roaming in public. (Miyajima also has monkeys). I made sure not to take out any food (or anything they might think vaguely resembles food) unless I meant to feed the deer there. They are happy to be fed, but they don't like it (or believe it) when the food runs out! They are sure you must still be hiding more of it somewhere, and will check you out to be sure. The best way to get out of that is to be near other people who still have food, as the deer will then go for the easy score. If not, they might nip at you a little bit, grab your jacket, etc, till they realize you aren't holding out on them.
Haha, sounds totally awesome. I will definately go there on a photo excursion

なんでやねん!
(#762 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 01:29 AM

Here are some of those Miyajima deer. These pictures were taken at the end of January. My fiancee and I were going to walk up the trail to the top because the tram was out. We didn't know the tram was out of service when we decided to visit and a little over halfway up the path was covered in snow. We didn't make it though because hiking in heels isn't a good idea. Miyajima Picture
(#763 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
Here are some of those Miyajima deer. These pictures were taken at the end of January. My fiancee and I were going to walk up the trail to the top because the tram was out. We didn't know the tram was out of service when we decided to visit and a little over halfway up the path was covered in snow. We didn't make it though because hiking in heels isn't a good idea. Miyajima Picture
Here are some of my pictures of Japanese deer, at both Miyajima and Nara park.

Also, I actually did hike all the way up that steep trail on Miyajima Island! It sure was a lot tougher than the picture at the beginning of the trail let on! I did it in winter as well, but there was no snow, only rain. (It wasn't raining when I started, but after about 45 minutes / half way up the trail it started a light rain.) Between the cold, damp weather and my sweating from climbing the trail, I caught a cold that I suffered with all through the rest of my trip to Kyushu. Only soaking in the healing hot waters of Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama on my way back finally cured me!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#764 (permalink))
Old
taintus (Offline)
New to JF

Life in Rural Japan - 08-16-2008, 01:44 AM

Hi all. Interesting to read stories of how life carries people to Japan. I'm currently doing doctoral research in Japan (just another path). I live in a small mountain village in Nagano called Otaki. Quite a different experience from the big cities. You can read about my research and the village at my blog.

For all interested in coming to Japan I would suggest getting as much education as possible. Having a college education is a valuable asset in Japan--plus there are great funding opportunities in Japan (see, for example, the Japan Foundation website).
(#765 (permalink))
Old
taintus (Offline)
New to JF

08-16-2008, 01:46 AM

Hi all. Interesting to read stories of how life carries people to Japan. I'm currently doing doctoral research in Japan (just another path). I live in a small mountain village in Nagano called Otaki. Quite a different experience from the big cities. You can read about my research and the village at my blog.

For all interested in coming to Japan I would suggest getting as much education as possible. Having a college education is a valuable asset in Japan--plus there are great funding opportunities in Japan (see, for example, the Japan Foundation website).
(#766 (permalink))
Old
imiss (Offline)
Metrosexual Narcissist

08-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Been looking at my options to stay in Tokyo for 3 month for the last 2-3 days and so far I have nothing... I mean there are plenty of things but most of its well... crap...

I mean I'm looking for something where I could stay w/ a Japanese family for example. Everything I've found so far, you either live alone, or in some guesthouse - and that'll obviously be full of foreigners too so learning Japanese by living w/ them is outta the question obviously.

Anyone here has any more suggestions for where I can look?

Maybe someone who lives in/near Tokyo and has a room that they would be willing to rent out for approximately 3 month? (early october to late december)
(#767 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-17-2008, 10:10 AM

There are many guesthouses that house japanese people as well as foreigners. Try asking them!

なんでやねん!
(#768 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 10:22 AM

I doubt you'll find someone on here to rent you a room. If I was to rent a room out to someone I met on the internet I would have to know them very well, not just a casual "can I stay?" "sure!" kind of thing. Especially if it's for 3 months.
(#769 (permalink))
Old
nhonho88 (Offline)
New to JF

08-17-2008, 12:01 PM

You are so kind. I love Japan so I took part in a Japanese class. I intend to go to Japan If I have any chances. However, many people said going to Japan is the most expensive in the world. Is this true?
(#770 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhonho88 View Post
You are so kind. I love Japan so I took part in a Japanese class. I intend to go to Japan If I have any chances. However, many people said going to Japan is the most expensive in the world. Is this true?
Depends on what part of Japan you're talking about. Tokyo is currently ranked at 2nd most expensive in the world (Moscow being 1st) but go to a smaller city or the country side and you'll be able to live at a cheaper cost.

My personal opinion is that it might be more expensive compared to other countries, but in itself it's not that hard to live in. You can easily live comfortably.