JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#701 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyo_9 View Post
scooter? the cheap one you can get is 10000 yen.. you can convert it to your own money rate.. but the price differs on some places..
Sure you don't mean 100,000 yen? 10,000 seems a bit too cheap.
(#702 (permalink))
Old
achilles9 (Offline)
New to JF

living in japan - 08-01-2008, 06:10 AM

Hello Nyororin,

I was reading your posts and I was wondering if you can offer some advice. I'm my Fiancee is Japanese and I will be moving to Japan hopefully by Nov. I have been there 7 times and love Japan. However moving there is a big step for me, and I will need first of all to get a job.

We are planning to get married soon and I was told the best way to get a job there is a spouse visa. Is that true? I will be living in Fukuyama and trying to find a job nearby maybe Okayama or Hiroshima I understand Tokyo or Osaka is better since they are bigger cities. I work in IT now for a large US corp. and was hoping to stay in that field. Do you have any suggestions on how to get a good job in Japan...since my Japanese skill is pretty basic right now? It would be nice if I can work for a US or European company since I still need a year of practice to be fluent in Japanese.

Any advice you give would be much appreciated thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)
(#703 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to ACN
08-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Hello Nyororin,

If you talk well japanese, and move to Japan, is it "easy" to find a second rate job? like in a store or something?

(No offence to ppl that works in a store. But most in of the it is very low payed)
(#704 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-06-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACN View Post
Hello Nyororin,

If you talk well japanese, and move to Japan, is it "easy" to find a second rate job? like in a store or something?

(No offence to ppl that works in a store. But most in of the it is very low payed)
Not if you are a foreigner, read the thread on "Go to college if you want to live in Japan".

Store manager or store clerk roles are easily filled by local Japanese, there is no reason for the store owner to sponsor your stay, of course, unless the store owner is only serving customer of a certain ethnicity and no one in the country speak that language, then maybe he can ask to hire a foreigner
(#705 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Not if you are a foreigner, read the thread on "Go to college if you want to live in Japan".

Store manager or store clerk roles are easily filled by local Japanese, there is no reason for the store owner to sponsor your stay, of course, unless the store owner is only serving customer of a certain ethnicity and no one in the country speak that language, then maybe he can ask to hire a foreigner
Okey, thanks.
But why should not a owner higher a foreigner? It happends all over the world.
In norway foreigner takes jobs all over the country without problem.
And it is not hard to find a job even without a degree and knowing norwegian.
I work together one now.
(#706 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Okey, thanks.
But why should not a owner higher a foreigner? It happends all over the world.
In norway foreigner takes jobs all over the country without problem.
And it is not hard to find a job even without a degree and knowing norwegian.
I work together one now.
Maybe because places like Norway isn't homo genus and has more diversity compared to Japan.
(#707 (permalink))
Old
ACN (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2008, 07:17 PM

I agree, it is different.
HERE is some jobs I think. Google did the job.
Anyway I just asked.
I wanted to ask Nyororin, since I guess she found a job. Since she still is in japan today. Is is not from japan.
(#708 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I agree, it is different.
HERE is some jobs I think. Google did the job.
Anyway I just asked.
I wanted to ask Nyororin, since I guess she found a job. Since she still is in japan today. Is is not from japan.
Yes but she had a spousal visa (and I assume she has her permanent residency by now) which means less paperwork. If they were to hire you they would have to go through a lot more paperwork for visas and such. Might as well hire a local and not deal with the hassle especially if it's just a second rate job. You don't have a special skill, anyone could do your job.
(#709 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
Yes but she had a spousal visa (and I assume she has her permanent residency by now) which means less paperwork. If they were to hire you they would have to go through a lot more paperwork for visas and such. Might as well hire a local and not deal with the hassle especially if it's just a second rate job. You don't have a special skill, anyone could do your job.
I will rephrase your posting a bit, i think he may take it as an offense as is

IF you don't have any special skill, anyone could do your job.

And as for the gaijinpot posting, well, if you look at it, these are not store clerk job that you found.

Its a big responsibility to sponsor someone to work in Japan, a responsibilities most employer won't want to take or risk, so your normal store clerk type job or gas station attendant type job will not go through that kind of trouble.

You just have to be realistic, if you are an employer, and it will cost you more to hire someone from oversea, why would you do it when the job can be easily filled by anyone locally?
(#710 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I will rephrase your posting a bit, i think he may take it as an offense as is

IF you don't have any special skill, anyone could do your job.

And as for the gaijinpot posting, well, if you look at it, these are not store clerk job that you found.

Its a big responsibility to sponsor someone to work in Japan, a responsibilities most employer won't want to take or risk, so your normal store clerk type job or gas station attendant type job will not go through that kind of trouble.

You just have to be realistic, if you are an employer, and it will cost you more to hire someone from oversea, why would you do it when the job can be easily filled by anyone locally?
Lol thank you. I tend to be a bit too blunt sometimes.