Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaru View Post
Hi can i ask you these qusetions :
1. Are there any Black people in Japan and If yes how would they be treated
2. How did you get work in Japan and how did you get started
3.Is being an English Teacher a good way to start and to get money
4. I am black how will i be treated in Japan Normal or differently
Thank You
Answer to 1 and 4, you will be treated normally, you may get a few stares but thats about it.

2. Check the thread that said "Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan

3. Yup, a good start, but not well paid
(#722 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-11-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
3. Yup, a good start, but not well paid
But it is enough to live off of, right?
(#723 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
But it is enough to live off of, right?
I would think so, there are enough people that teach in Japan and teaching is their only income, so I am sure its enough to live off of
(#724 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-11-2008, 05:29 PM

As a JET, you get about $36,000 per year, tax free in both the US and Japan. I was able to save and bring home $25,000 in 2 years.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#725 (permalink))
Old
ishck09 (Offline)
New to JF

08-12-2008, 05:48 AM

I didnt mean to judge kyoto as depressing.
Im just saying, it looked depressing in this one picture, im not saying it is so pls dont get so defensive.

anyways, is it easy to get a job as a JET? cause i wouldnt mind xD

日本語わかりますか?!!!! はは~ みんあ、よろ しくおねがいしま~
(#726 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishck09 View Post
I didnt mean to judge kyoto as depressing.
Im just saying, it looked depressing in this one picture, im not saying it is so pls dont get so defensive.

anyways, is it easy to get a job as a JET? cause i wouldnt mind xD
About 25% of applicants are selected each year from around the world. There are over 5000 JETs each year teaching in Japan.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#727 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
08-12-2008, 08:44 AM

Does the JET program open any doors? After graduation, if I don't find a job in japan I think I'll apply to it (or go to China =_=)
(#728 (permalink))
Old
imiss (Offline)
Metrosexual Narcissist

08-12-2008, 09:35 AM

Wow... that took a while...

Took me 4 days of reading, few hours a day, but I finally managed to read through this whole thread - all 2 years of it. First of all thank you everyone who replied and posted here (Nyororin especially) - all your posts answered any and all questions I had concerning visas, working, education, getting citizenship etc... Thanks a lot.

But now just one single question I have... When in United States you can apply for a green (permanent resident) card and with it, live permanently in US while being allowed to do anything you want etc... Does something like that exist in Japan or is becoming a citizen the only way to stay permanently?

Thanks,
imiss
(#729 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiss View Post
Wow... that took a while...

Took me 4 days of reading, few hours a day, but I finally managed to read through this whole thread - all 2 years of it. First of all thank you everyone who replied and posted here (Nyororin especially) - all your posts answered any and all questions I had concerning visas, working, education, getting citizenship etc... Thanks a lot.

But now just one single question I have... When in United States you can apply for a green (permanent resident) card and with it, live permanently in US while being allowed to do anything you want etc... Does something like that exist in Japan or is becoming a citizen the only way to stay permanently?

Thanks,
imiss
After 5-10 years of staying with a proper visa, you can apply for permanent residency. Or you could just stay permanently with a proper visa every year.
(#730 (permalink))
Old
imiss (Offline)
Metrosexual Narcissist

08-13-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
After 5-10 years of staying with a proper visa, you can apply for permanent residency. Or you could just stay permanently with a proper visa every year.
Wonderful, thanks alot for answering my question -- btw, does that mean x number of years total or all at once?

But yeah, anyways, I'm completely ready to go to Japan. I want to go to Tokyo this year from mid-September to mid-December. I have money in hand etc, now all I'm looking for is a place to stay. I would prefer it if I could do something like homestay but w/o having to go through a school that organizes it - I mean even if I end up paying the same for it, why not let the host have the money rather then the school.

Is there a place that I could look? Maybe some people on these forums which have empty rooms which they're willing to rent out for a few month?

Also, from what I read in this thread there are plenty of free, or near free classes all around Tokyo where you can learn some (atleast basic) Japanese... So if I'm staying with someone, would be extremely helpful if they could point me in the right direction to find such classes, I would attend them every day if I could...

...I've been trying to learn Japanese for years now from books different programs etc, all useless, other then some basic words and phrases, without having native speakers to talk to, next to impossible learning something like that. Same applies when I was learning english for 2 year before moving to US when I was 8 (19 now). In those 2 years didn't learn anything whereas I was able to start speaking pretty well within 6 month of just living here...

Anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction concerning finding a place to stay for 3 month, please let me know...

Last edited by imiss : 08-13-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo