(#851 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-30-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremost View Post
I have a question that may already have been asked, but I hope you don't mind me bringing it up (potentially again) on page.. 81?
Similar questions have been brought up multiple times, but I`ll look past that because you`re polite.

Quote:
I've never even been there before, so I don't know what to expect. I've read a few accounts about the life of foreigners in Japan ('Metaphysique des tubes' and 'Stupeur et tremblements' by Amelie Nothomb, which are touching, hilarious, and frightful all at once, and another by an Englishman who worked as a salaryman for a long time),
I think that there is something very important that needs to be remembered when dealing with novels, etc, about foreigners in Japan.

1) They wouldn`t sell if they weren`t "shocking". And...
2) Those most vocal usually do not represent the majority.

In other words, take their "truth" with a huge bucketful of salt. Your experience in Japan is likely to be nothing like any book, for real life is much more mundane than fiction (both in negative and positive ways). Plus - I personally really dislike Amelie Nothomb`s book as it seems to be used EVERYWHERE as a set-in-stone, 100% factual, etc etc, account of Japan. When in reality, it`s a loosely based in reality, embellished to no end, fictional account coming from someone who had a really bad experience...
As fiction, it`s not bad... The thing that drives me CRAZY is that it`s never treated as anything like fiction. If you look around, there are countless examples of books / movies about someone surviving a really awful company / job... But no one looks at one of them and says "All companies in (insert country) are just like that! How disgusting!". Everyone knows that is true and accepts that it is not reflecting every company out there, but somehow this knowledge is tossed out the window at an amazing speed when Japan is involved. Everyone seems to be searching for proof that Japan is an awful place to work, incredibly sexist, incredibly xenophobic - so books that support this view fly off the shelves.

Quote:
and am wondering what your personal experience was like? Do you feel integrated in Japanese society, do you feel that people treat you as an 'outsider' in any way?
Not any more than in the US.
I`m not an incredibly social person. I`m not anti-social, but I accept that I`m quite cold and not all that friendly. I`ve never been particularly popular - or rather, feel quite stressed with a lot of people around, so avoid the situation. In general, people in Japan share those feelings with me much more than anyone in the US did. So there is no stepping on people`s toes, etc. No one treats me obviously different, and if someone does it disappears the moment it is clear that I speak and understand Japanese fluently (as it always seems to be worry about language issues than general "foreignness".)
A common pattern I`ve been encountering the past couple of years is this; Meet someone, and either a) Have them express surprise about my level of fluency, or b) Have them say nothing at all, react no differently, etc. --> Few months later, be asked "I hate to be rude, but I was curious - where are you originally from?".

Is there something else that you`d like to know specifically about life?

Quote:
Any recommendations on how to earn money and live in Japan for a couple of months? I've been learning Japanese on and off for a while, and am working more intensively now. I already have a degree (I'll have my 1st Masters by the time I'm there as well).
Other than teaching English, no, there is really no easy and quick way in. If you`re in a country offering a working holiday visa then you can use that for a longer stay - but even then your job opportunities are going to be pretty limited ... to English teaching. You`re very much right about the English teaching being a pretty strong block to actually getting to know the locals and language... But there really aren`t many other options. Another field willing to hire you isn`t going to want to do anything short term.

Quote:
Oh... and I know tattoos have been mentioned before... I'm female and have a couple, will that affect my chances of... anything? Like getting a job, a love life (haha! the threat of the female yakuza)... ? @
This depends on their size and location. Somewhere that can be covered by clothing - I wouldn`t really worry about it. Hopefully your employers won`t be taking your clothes off in the interview room (and if they are, *cough cough*, I doubt it would be the type of job to care.) Same deal with love - if you`re stripping down for them chances are things are going to be past the point where it would make a difference.
Visible tattoos, on the other hand, can make a bad impression. It`s not really a yakuza thing, but more just generally bringing character into question. Tattoos aren`t something that normal people usually get here, so it makes you look like you`re a bit on the "wild" side. Not something that`s going to look good at a company interview, etc. If it`s visible, find a way to cover it...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#852 (permalink))
Old
kremost (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks a lot for answering my questions! I know that those accounts of life in Japan should be taken, as you said, with a grain (if not buckets-full ) of salt, but at the same time I am aware that I have been somewhat idealizing Japan, and feel that it'd be best to be prepared for the worst when I go there.

I asked the question about you feeling integrated because it's something I've been struggling with for a while. I'm of mixed origin (Singaporean - Norwegian), and despite being 'officially' Norwegian and speaking the language, I feel quite the outsider here (here being Denmark), and people seem to confer upon me that outsider status because I'm not 'white'. Do you feel that you are in any way excluded in Japanese society, or that people make unfair judgements about you, based, perhaps, on your physical appearance?
(#853 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
11-12-2008, 02:30 PM

I have a bad family life, kinda crappy in social situationn (I feel like we can relate on this lol) my apsoluet dream is to Live in Japan. After my trip there I just fell in love with the place! But I have a few questions XD

1. I'm studying the Japanese atm through books alone since I can't afford a teacher, would you reccomend I save up for a tutor?

2. Will my careers be limited to Teaching english? I don't do well infront of a group of people speaking...especially teenagers or kids D:.

3. I hear alotta people say "holiday visa" or "monthly visa" what IS a visa? XD I've managed to gather that it's like...a working permit but does it cost to renew it every month? or is there a more...perminant version of it?

4. My Japanese skills..arent so great XD I figure by the time I'm ready I will be alot better but does living there help enhance language (spelling? =/) skills?

5. One of my biggest worrys/fears is that because I'm american I'll be turned down alot of jobs and such. Do employers discriminate or as long as I can work efficently I'll have no problem?

6. Last one I promise x.x. What is "company housing"? is it hard to get?

thanks in advance and if any of my questions were asked before I sincerly apologize t.t *bows head*

PSN: Nemhy
(#854 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
1. I'm studying the Japanese atm through books alone since I can't afford a teacher, would you reccomend I save up for a tutor?
That depends on the learner. Some people can get a lot from self-learning, whereas others (like myself for instance) need traditional instruction. I do know someone who self-studied for years and didn't have any formal Japanese learning until his first year of college. Maybe you can do the same.
Quote:
2. Will my careers be limited to Teaching english? I don't do well infront of a group of people speaking...especially teenagers or kids D:.
Depends on your expertise and Japanese proficiency. If you have a really high level of Japanese, there's always that possibility that you could get a job outside of the typical "English teacher", even though that's the quickest and easiest way to go, but any other job would be more difficult.

You could always work as a translator or something along the lines of that. It might help if you explain what type of profession you are interested in.
Quote:
3. I hear alotta people say "holiday visa" or "monthly visa" what IS a visa? XD I've managed to gather that it's like...a working permit but does it cost to renew it every month? or is there a more...perminant version of it?
A visa is "a document whereby a government agency gives a citizen of another country permission to enter or leave the country."

There are different types of visas. A working visa is the type you need if you actually want to work within the country.
Quote:
4. My Japanese skills..arent so great XD I figure by the time I'm ready I will be alot better but does living there help enhance language (spelling? =/) skills?
Logically, it should since you have lots of opportunity to practice it.
Quote:
5. One of my biggest worrys/fears is that because I'm american I'll be turned down alot of jobs and such. Do employers discriminate or as long as I can work efficently I'll have no problem?
Can't really say for this, everyone's different, but for English teaching, I doubt they'd discriminate since you'd be a native speaker and all.

That aside, you will need to find a company who is willing to go through the hassle of sponsoring your work visa.
Quote:
To my knowledge, housing provided by the company you work for, like say teacher housing.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 11-12-2008 at 06:41 PM.
(#855 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-13-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
A tutor? I don`t know - but I do recommend you find some way to actually make use of what you have learned in an interactive situation. Listening will do absolutely nothing for your speaking skills, and won`t help to correct whatever bad pronunciation and habits you`ve picked up from book study.

Quote:
This depends upon what skills you have and your language proficiency. But either way, you`ll still have to be offering something that is tempting enough for a company to go through the mess of securing a visa for you. No visa = no work, and without a skill hard to secure in the local population no one is going to want to mess with the paperwork.
If you already have a visa permitting work then it is a different story.

Quote:
There is a permanent residency visa, which is permanent. However, you`ll still have to work your way up to it as it requires quite a few years of living in Japan.

Quote:
Unless you decide to live in an English bubble (like more than half of the foreigners in Japan) - yes.

Quote:
This all comes back to the visa issue. What can you offer that would make up for the cost and pain of getting a visa for you?

Quote:
Company housing generally refers to a building owned by the company, which you can lived in at a highly discounted rate. Sort of like a company dorm.
If the company has housing, then it shouldn`t be all that hard to get into it. The thing is, most companies do not offer housing.

Something you didn`t ask about, but is necessary information; You will need a full 4 year university degree to even consider working in Japan...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#856 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

11-13-2008, 04:42 AM

I plan to get my degrees before I even try to move there XD I'm not that dumb lol.

Well...my strenghs are computers so I might try to pursue something in that field. would that be hard to find?

(#857 (permalink))
Old
SerApHimJhazz (Offline)
Arisa's Guardian Seraphim

Send a message via Yahoo to SerApHimJhazz
Talking Hmmnn... - 11-13-2008, 05:08 AM

Dude nice to meet you...

Im new here and It would be much pleasure to hear your story...

Dude by the way can I ask is it true there are lots of anime stores in Akihabara district?

Can I also Ask is Ariza Mizuhara a famous cosplayer in JApan?

Hope you can answer my question...

Thanks..

<font color=Red>Cused With Your Love</font>
A Seraphim That Fell inlove with a Human
(#858 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-13-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerApHimJhazz View Post
Dude nice to meet you...

Im new here and It would be much pleasure to hear your story...

Dude by the way can I ask is it true there are lots of anime stores in Akihabara district?

Can I also Ask is Ariza Mizuhara a famous cosplayer in JApan?

Hope you can answer my question...

Thanks..
Yes there are lots of anime stores in Akihabara.

It depends on what you mean by "famous". Most Japanese know Shokotan, as she is on mainstream TV a lot. Most probably don't know Ariza Mizuhara.
(#859 (permalink))
Old
DomesticatedWolf (Offline)
New to JF

11-13-2008, 05:26 AM

your story inspired me and i thank you. I need to get out of here myself let's just say it's shitty here as well. I register for a japanese language lesson but i didnt have the money to pay for the fee my budget is tight just to fly over there. You think i'll live with no knowledge of japanese there?.
(#860 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

11-13-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticatedWolf View Post
your story inspired me and i thank you. I need to get out of here myself let's just say it's shitty here as well. I register for a japanese language lesson but i didnt have the money to pay for the fee my budget is tight just to fly over there. You think i'll live with no knowledge of japanese there?.
Do you think youd live in america with no knowledge of english? lol Going to a foreign country without any Language skills especially when the society is so homogenious seems like a REAL bad idea :x Sorry if I sound like a dick, dude XD