JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

09-30-2007, 02:21 AM

live on a farm.. for the most part, if you stay away from the larger cities, i think that life is generally cheaper. when i went to okinawa, the general cost of living wasn't that much more expensive than the US. also like mmm said the JET program ultimately chooses your final destination. i live in hawaii and from what i've heard about the jet program, fukuoka is very simliar to hawaii as far as climate and scenery.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-30-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacmon View Post
Great thanks,

What I meant by "favourable" was more like "generous." I heard from someone that one person that participated in the program got a far higher salary (he was apparently placed in a private school) which surprised me because I thought that the 3.6 million Yen salary was standardized for all JET participants.

The reason I'm wondering about preferences is because I'm not sure how many people would actually choose Hokkaido. I can't imagine that as many people are interested in going somewhere there as Tokyo, Kyoto, etc. so if I select it, I may be much more likely to be placed there than others.

By the way, did you have any TEFL/formal ESL training before you went?

And lastly, in your experience, how likely is it for someone's contract to be renewed if they want it to be and did a decent job.

Thanks for the great and valuable insights so far !
More people select Hokkaido than you would think. It's the people that choose Aomori, Saga, Ehime, Gifu and places like that who get thier first choices.

I had no formal training (or interest, for that sake) in English teaching when I applied.

Once you get there, the boss is the Ministry of Education of your prefecture. I have heard of RARE cases of salary bonuses. In fact, two weeks ago the mayor of a certain small town in Hokkaido came to its sister-city near where I live. They brought along a local JET as an assistant. This would probably be unheard of in most places, but, like I said, every situation is different. The salary SHOULD be the same across the board, so those cases are the rare exception.

In my situation I taught at a high school 4 days a week, at a local factory one hour a week, and at a night school one night a week. I probably was in the classroom 2-3 hours a day. Some people I knew did 5 classes a day. Some did as little as 8 classes a week. It just depends.

As long as you don't do anything indecent, you will get rehired for subsequent years (up to three total). I actually didn't get along with the vice-pricipal very well (no one did), but it was easier to keep me on then deal with the training and hassle of getting someone new. I have never heard of a JET who didn't date another teacher (or students!) not get rehired, though I am sure it has happened somewhere. What you can't do easily is transfer.

I majored in Japanese in college, but a lot of people didn't who go. Most don't speak any Japanese. I would learn as much as I could before you plan on going. There were no organized Japanese language classes offered to me, but I didn't need it, so I didn't look for them.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

09-30-2007, 04:07 AM

Once again, thanks for the detailed and insightful response.

You've given me a few things to consider and I'm very excited about the prospect.

Your comments about the ease of extending your work term are especially welcome, as I have considered (assuming I like it enough there) staying for longer than a single year to give me a better opportunity to develop my knowledge of the Japanese language during my stay. I will likely come with some modest personal study (about 2 months worth, as that will be the time between my graduation and possible move to Japan) and I fortunately have an affinity for languages, as well as the drive to learn them.

Anyone else's comments are also quite welcome. Thanks a lot to everyone!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-30-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Once again, thanks for the detailed and insightful response.

You've given me a few things to consider and I'm very excited about the prospect.

Your comments about the ease of extending your work term are especially welcome, as I have considered (assuming I like it enough there) staying for longer than a single year to give me a better opportunity to develop my knowledge of the Japanese language during my stay. I will likely come with some modest personal study (about 2 months worth, as that will be the time between my graduation and possible move to Japan) and I fortunately have an affinity for languages, as well as the drive to learn them.

Anyone else's comments are also quite welcome. Thanks a lot to everyone!
You are very welcome.

Also, I would recommend staying more than one year as employers know the JET program, and know it's a 1,2 or 3 year deal. Staying for 2 or 3 years says "I am a dedicated go-getter." Staying for only one might say "I jump ship as soon as I feel challenged or something better comes along."
(#15 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-30-2007, 08:36 PM

As mmm has said, I wouldn't worry about not being able to save. I live in the middle of Osaka, on faaar less than a JET, paying more in rent, and after bills and stuff (a hefty cell phone bill for one) I still have about $1000 for play money or saving.

However I'm from London, and Osaka seems CHEAP to me.

Cheapest places to be will be the countryside. Not only the cost of living, but also there won't be so much to do than if you were in Tokyo or Osaka.

However Jets placement choices...well be flexible. You say you want snow so Hokkaido, you could end up in Nagano.

So don't worry about it, just apply and hope for the best.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

09-30-2007, 08:46 PM

Yeah, I think I'll list some of the larger cities/more populated prefectures as my preferences in case I'm actually one of the few that "win the lottery" and wind up in Tokyo/Osaka/etc. (it would after all be a very interesting experience!) Of course, if I end up in a smaller city/town far away from the largest Japanese cities, I won't be too disappointed.

Ideally, I would like a city that is large enough to have a good mass transit system, either bus or rail, as long as it's affordable and effective because I do not plan to drive!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-30-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'll list some of the larger cities/more populated prefectures as my preferences in case I'm actually one of the few that "win the lottery" and wind up in Tokyo/Osaka/etc. (it would after all be a very interesting experience!) Of course, if I end up in a smaller city/town far away from the largest Japanese cities, I won't be too disappointed.

Ideally, I would like a city that is large enough to have a good mass transit system, either bus or rail, as long as it's affordable and effective because I do not plan to drive!
I agree. I wouldn't drive. It's too expensive (gas, insurance, etc.)
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

10-02-2007, 05:54 PM

I spoke today with another JET spokesperson and I was told that they've decided to extend the number of times a person can renew their contract to 4, meaning they can potentially stay a total of 5 years (it's also in the pamphlets/magazines they gave me).

This has led me to wonder... are they at all flexible with payment during contract renewals? In other words, will they offer you any increased pay or incentive (such as a renewal bonus) to recognize your additional teaching experience?

What have you guys heard about this?

Also, after doing JET for a year or two, do people ever leave to get better pay/benefits in a private school?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I spoke today with another JET spokesperson and I was told that they've decided to extend the number of times a person can renew their contract to 4, meaning they can potentially stay a total of 5 years (it's also in the pamphlets/magazines they gave me).

This has led me to wonder... are they at all flexible with payment during contract renewals? In other words, will they offer you any increased pay or incentive (such as a renewal bonus) to recognize your additional teaching experience?

What have you guys heard about this?

Also, after doing JET for a year or two, do people ever leave to get better pay/benefits in a private school?
I don't think the pay rate for a JET has changed since the beginning of the program. Now, with the strong yen, it is a very nice pay. The budget for the JET teacher is set in advance, so there is no room for negotiation in terms of payrate (unless something has changed recently). Why would they? there are tons of people who will happily take your place at the original pay.

One things JETs learn quickly is that they are the smallest fish in a very big pond. Westerners often have great ideas on how to fix things, improve systems, make them better, etc. In your position as a JET that is rocking the boat, making trouble, being a loudmouth. I am not saying you are an English-speaking robot, but outside of the confines of your classroom a lot of work-related decisions are made for you. Even the most seemingly innocuous question will require approval of the prefectural board of education. It's a massive bureaucracy...but a good social studies lesson.

Everyone I know goes home after JET. You have to. What happens afterward, I am not sure.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2007, 06:51 PM

kyoto, not as expensive as tokyo or osaka thats for sure, u should also try kyuushu, not bad place to live. Very nice weather