JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2007, 07:53 PM

my friend lived in sapporo for a year. cheap apparently ans she spent all her time going on cheap weekend deals to onsen lol.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2007, 11:34 PM

Ah, good to know someone else liked it. I'm also happy to hear that the cost of living is fairly low (at least compared to some places).

I'm still not sure if I'll end up going to Japan with the JET program. I think my odds of getting accepted are very good, but I'm also applying for a number of federal government jobs. If I get a good offer right out of university, I'll very likely take it.

Nevertheless, all of these discussions have encouraged me to list Sapporo and Hokkaido in general as my main preferences.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-08-2007, 11:36 PM

You will know if you got the JET job months before you graduate, so you'll have plenty of time to decide.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You will know if you got the JET job months before you graduate, so you'll have plenty of time to decide.
Yeah, the only problem is, I don't how long it'll take me to find out about those government jobs!

Actually, with that in mind, does anyone know how long a person has before they are required to make an absolutely final decision?

Also, have there been cases of people changing their mind once they arrive in Japan and coming back after only 2-3 months? What happens to them with regards to JET? I imagine they have to pay for their plane ticket home, but are there severe penalties for violating your contract?

I imagine they'd also "black list" you and I doubt you'd have another real chance in the future!
(#35 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2007, 08:48 AM

yeaaah there'd be no second time rounds for JET...

I don't know what the penalties would be.....but I can honestly imagine the dissapointment for everyone, and the silent shame that you backed out after a few months. Like the JET programe is supposed to be like a big WELCOME TO JAPAN of cultural exchange, and the schools you've let down would be without a teacher for the rest of the year. Everyone would hate you, no one would say it, but you'd know, and you'd have shattered quite a few illusions of foriegners for all the little middle school students

lol well as I imagine, I have no clue really but that would be what would stop me quitting!

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#36 (permalink))
Old
ladyowl (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgarshudder View Post
JETs getting a pay rise? hey hey don't be looking a gift horse in the mouth! And I'll bet money you'll be needing a bicycle!

Kyushuu is well........kyuushu..........um, nice pickled plums...

I wouldn't live in Kyoto personally. It's sooo touristy. I mean it's to the point that it's like some Japan theme park land. Nice to go visit if you want to see some Heian ira temples. But to live......

I liked Tofuku. It seemed very quiet and peaceful. It contains Tufuku-ji temple which is surrounded by lots of greenery and as much nature as a city can hold since it is a zen temple. But i doubt there are any teaching positions around there. And living there would possibly be expensive too.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyowl View Post
I liked Tofuku. It seemed very quiet and peaceful. It contains Tufuku-ji temple which is surrounded by lots of greenery and as much nature as a city can hold since it is a zen temple. But i doubt there are any teaching positions around there. And living there would possibly be expensive too.
You are talking about Tofuku Temple, right?

There are many teaching positions in Kyoto, and it is a cheaper place to live than Yokohama, Tokyo or Osaka...
(#38 (permalink))
Old
samjah (Offline)
New to JF

04-08-2010, 02:03 AM

um...
I'm still in high school and going to go to Japan for my undergraduate level.
I'm going to take between Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto univeristy.
Would you mind to suggest which one should I take for pure Physics and the best place to stay?

thx
Regards