LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayla View Post
does anybody know a whole BUNCH of japanese words??
I'm a bit lazy to type out a whole lot of words (or find a link to such a site), so I'll settle for giving you this link instead: List Of Lessons It's a free site that has mini lessons, it'll teach you a lot of Japanese phrases and words, so it's a nice little start to picking up the basics. If you want to study Japanese properly, with the aim to becoming fluent, then there's some threads on this forum that deal with that, which may be useful for you.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
jack10110 (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Lived in japan 9 years. Here is a TODO list to reach success in Japan.
6 STEPS:

1. Study any of these three majors (Computer Sci/IT, Business, Law)

2. CHOICE: (A or B)
A.Minor/Major in Japanese. (Be careful many schools do not have
Japanese majors. Choose wisely.
B.Take 1 1/2 years off after college and enroll in Korean language
school in Japan (I did this. It's geared for Koreans, so the Japanese learning is
much faster. Also teachers are usually a bit more friendly. Get a side English job to
make ends meet. If you share a SMALL apartment outside tokyo + food
$380 a month)

3. Pass Level 1 Japanese proficiency test (hardest one.)
4. Intern like crazy at companies while your in college. Most Japanese jobs
will only hire mid level, not new grads.
5. Use gaijinpot.com/careerbuilder.com/ and social media as Linkedin to find a job.
6. Be prepared to work long hours.

Also Temple University has a sister campus in Tokyo, and Sophia is also another college you could attend for a degree. Little expensive though and probably not necessary.

And in regards to #1, any other major than CS/business/law will result in you becoming an English teacher in Japan. These salaries are now low (since 2007) and for the most part will NEVER increase. For example, if you work as an ALT at a high school, you will A.have to find new work every year. B. Salary will stay the same.

Research "Jet program". Its the only 2 year program that pays ALT's really well, but again, its only 2 year. Your basically an ambassador of your country, make friends and go home (and they pay you to go home.) If you still decide to stick around afterward, your back to the dead end ALT jobs (- that is of course, if you dont have the right degree and work experience.) Learning Japanese is just half of the game.

...And yes many foreigners in Japan speak Japanese very well these days, and also have great corporate skills too, so the competition to get even a decent job is very high.

Last edited by jack10110 : 02-04-2011 at 07:50 PM.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
jack10110 (Offline)
New to JF

After thought - 02-04-2011, 07:50 PM

You could also create your own company in Japan (no visa required or lawyer, just ward office fees ranging from $400-800 for a kabushiki "publicly traded company" or godo gaisya "LLC") If you rent an apartment, you can make that your HQ and the government will accept it. Question is how will you make money! Areas such as Saitama will actually subsidize your company up to a certain percent if they like your business plan. Oh and investor visas don't exist anymore. So although you have your company, you need a Japanese person to sponsor you. Anyway I doubt you would go this route. But...now and again some do!

...and Japanese government is a greedy one. Depending on your tax bracket, nearly half of your revenue goes back to the government. So if you make 1 million dollars, they will take nearly half of it.

Last edited by jack10110 : 02-04-2011 at 07:55 PM.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-05-2011, 04:41 AM

Can't troll to this. She's 10.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
02-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Can't troll to this. She's 10.
Sounds like my wee sister, the types of questions. She's 8

@Cayla: Its great to see somebody so young with great, ambitious plans, but are you positive it is the right choice. Because thats what it needs to be. When I was 10, I wanted to be a Formula 1 racing driver, & while I would still take it up if offered, I realised that it was an almost impossible dream. I only decided a few years ago I want to live in Japan, & I'm 20 now. I guess I was fortunate on the count I chose an IT course.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I'm a bit lazy to type out a whole lot of words (or find a link to such a site), so I'll settle for giving you this link instead: List Of Lessons It's a free site that has mini lessons, it'll teach you a lot of Japanese phrases and words, so it's a nice little start to picking up the basics. If you want to study Japanese properly, with the aim to becoming fluent, then there's some threads on this forum that deal with that, which may be useful for you.
thanks i'll check it out.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
Sounds like my wee sister, the types of questions. She's 8

@Cayla: Its great to see somebody so young with great, ambitious plans, but are you positive it is the right choice. Because thats what it needs to be. When I was 10, I wanted to be a Formula 1 racing driver, & while I would still take it up if offered, I realised that it was an almost impossible dream. I only decided a few years ago I want to live in Japan, & I'm 20 now. I guess I was fortunate on the count I chose an IT course.
yes i know i am ten and i am positive this is the right choice, I don't know exactly (sorry didden't know how to spell that) what I am going to do and how i'm going to get there, but i'm going to japan.

trust me it's what I really want to do!!
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10110 View Post
You could also create your own company in Japan (no visa required or lawyer, just ward office fees ranging from $400-800 for a kabushiki "publicly traded company" or godo gaisya "LLC") If you rent an apartment, you can make that your HQ and the government will accept it. Question is how will you make money! Areas such as Saitama will actually subsidize your company up to a certain percent if they like your business plan. Oh and investor visas don't exist anymore. So although you have your company, you need a Japanese person to sponsor you. Anyway I doubt you would go this route. But...now and again some do!

...and Japanese government is a greedy one. Depending on your tax bracket, nearly half of your revenue goes back to the government. So if you make 1 million dollars, they will take nearly half of it.
JACK, you said you can build your own company? How would you know if these people like what your making or not I mean my dad sat down with me once and told me how to start a company but he part that dosen't
make sence to me is how do you know that person likes it?????!

please write back.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2011, 02:17 PM

You know what Jambo, you remind me of this pretty ( )blonde headed I used to love to watch off youtube!

Last edited by Cayla : 02-05-2011 at 02:28 PM.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Last edited by JohnBraden : 02-05-2011 at 02:38 PM.