LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

12-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
I disagree. But I won't turn this into an argument about what art is.

My view of this, is... neutral.

Although, I can understand that you feel a "Click" to Japan, I disagree that it happens from a young age. To say so, is where "obsession" comes in, and you need to calm down. The same with reincarnation.

I too had this "Click", but it's different. At first, it was when I was around 7, and I first Japan, I said "I want to live there", and I always thought it was a "click". But it wasn't, it was just a fascination with the country. As I grew, I started getting into the countries history, and culture. In fact, I didn't watch anime until I was around 16. The main reason I feel I "Click" with a country, is because the culture is quite like my own, Turkish culture. There are differences, ofcourse, like relgion, but the morals and those stuff are very like the Turkish Culture. Which is where I get my "Click" from.

In actual fact, this 'click' thing is a bunch of bollocks. The clicks started happening when people with similarities to a country, started getting interested in the country.

There's a difference. There are people who have a similarity in some sort of way with the said country. Then you have the people who are simply obsessed with it and make up excuses to assure themselves.

Personally, if you don't care about the culture, history, language, or way of life, social standings and politics of said country, it's an insult ot say you have a "click" to a country.
You were probably replying when I moved these posts, so feel free to paste this into the old thread, sorry about that.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 09:57 PM

I honestly was terrible at art in school. But if I had to define it in my own words I would say it's a form of self-expression through inspiration.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-23-2008, 09:59 PM

Alright Misa.

As for Art.

Art is not only a way to describe feelings and actions via drawings, writing, actions or war, but it's a way of showing your talent.

A childs drawing, is NOT art. Most modern day art, of any kind, has been simplified and is just not art.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#14 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo View Post
I honestly was terrible at art in school. But if I had to define it in my own words I would say it's a form of self-expression through inspiration.
My thoughts exactly.

A child's drawings are considered art because that's the way they see the world. They know a humorous person, they will draw them in a humorous way. And as you grow, you continue to do this. This is where talent is devloped.

If you have a talent for art, then it will be more visually appealing then someone who does not. However, if the talented one is expressing themselves, and the non-talented one does the same, I consider both art.

That being said, I think there is a difference in "art" and "a work of art". A work of art is based more on visual asthetics then anything, while art itself is a form of self-expression.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 10:07 PM

I've been wanting to reply to these posts but didn't want to further derail the other topic so I'm glad it is here now.

I think that art can be anything. Even something like an AMV.

The reasons for this are exactly those that people have already stated in their arguments against it being art.

For example, if art to you is supposed to be something that is "good" or "meaningful" then you can't possibly say that an AMV isn't art.

Say for example i drew a picture of a cat, why? because i like cats, and for no other reason. However that picture would have meaning to me, because it is a part of who i am if you will, just like AMV's are created by those who are into anime... It is a part of their life through which they have decided to express some sort of creativity, be it from boredom or an actual motivation to create "Art"
Anyway, back to the cat drawing, to me it would be art, no matter how good it looked, it could be a few lines in a rough shape of a cat or it could be compared to the works of Michael angelo or Divinci, it doesn't matter, it's still art.

Take real life examples from the "Art world" aswell.
Let's pick on Tracy Emin, I used to think when i was in art college that none of her works could possibly be considered art, i mean all she's done is exhibited an un-made bed, and a bird on a pole!
But now i have the view that art should have meaning, and if that un-made bed had meaning to it, which it inevitably will, then i will consider it "Art", it doesn't matter if that meaning linked to her past or just her desire to make a bit of cash.
Just like i consider the keyboard i am typing with now as "Art", it has a meaning, it has reason.

I am having a difficult time trying to get my thoughts on this down since it's such a huge subject but hopefully you will get the idea of what i am trying to say.

Last edited by Lucas89 : 12-23-2008 at 10:13 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

12-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas89 View Post
I've been wanting to reply to these posts but didn't want to further derail the other topic so I'm glad it is here now.

I think that art can be anything. Even something like an AMV.

The reasons for this are exactly those that people have already stated in their arguments against it being art.

For example, if art to you is supposed to be something that is "good" or "meaningful" then you can't possibly say that an AMV isn't art.

Say for example i drew a picture of a cat, why? because i like cats, and for no other reason. However that picture would have meaning to me, because it is a part of who i am if you will, just like AMV's are created by those who are into anime... It is a part of their life through which they have decided to express some sort of creativity, be it from boredom or an actual motivation to create "Art"
Anyway, back to the cat drawing, to me it would be art, no matter how good it looked, it could be a few lines in a rough shape of a cat or it could be compared to the works of Michael angelo or Divinci, it doesn't matter, it's still art.

Take real life examples from the "Art world" aswell.
Let's pick on Tracy Emin, I used to think when i was in art college that none of her works could possibly be considered art, i mean all she's done is exhibited an un-made bed, and a bird on a pole!
But now i have the view that art should have meaning, and if that un-made bed had meaning to it, which it inevitably will, then i will consider it "Art", it doesn't matter if that meaning linked to her past or just her desire to make a bit of cash.
Just like i consider the keyboard i am typing with now as "Art", it has a meaning, there was a reason it was designed this way.

I am having a difficult time trying to get my thoughts on this down since it's such a huge subject but hopefully you will get the idea of what i am trying to say.
AMVs to me are not art, because they are random anime clips which mean nothing to me. No-one else ever said they can't be art to anyone else~

I love Tracy Emin, her work isn't aesthetically pleasing to most people but I like the way she conveys her message and it means something to me, whereas other people just think it's a big pile of crap which is also fair enough. I think art is subjective, I was just expressing what I thought was art, but it doesn't mean anyone elses view is wrong at all~

Someone will look at a piece of art and see something entirely different to the person standing next to them, it doesn't mean they are wrong, that's just the beauty of it in my eyes. It's like music, some love it, some hate it.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Oh don't worry i wasn't trying to "attack" you or anything (Just incase my post was misleading), just looking for a way to explain my thoughts, i completely agree art is subjective, i think you would have to be crazy to not think that.

It's so difficult to debate on a topic like this because things can be taken out of context so easily. xD
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

12-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas89 View Post
Oh don't worry i wasn't trying to "attack" you or anything, just looking for a way to explain my thoughts, i completely agree art is subjective, i think you would have to be crazy to not think that.

It's so difficult to debate on a topic like this because things can be taken out of context so easily. xD
No no I didn't think you were I just go off on a tangent sometimes and it's really hard to try and say what you mean with this kind of topic xD
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-23-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Art is subjective - there is no point in arguing what is art and what isn't. What is art depends entirely on the viewer. I don't believe AMV's are art, because it doesn't require the amount of artistic ability I believe something is needed to create art. Some people may feel that art is anything creative, whether it's your own work or not - or simply the message portrayed. Everyone sees things differently, but saying that AMVs are on a par with a sculpture is not something I agree with - portraits and sculptures, when done to a certain artistic level require a lot more talent than a well executed AMV does, in my opinion.
If you believe that AMV isn't art fine I respect that. But we live in such times where art doesn't require talent (Example: paintings that are made in kindergarten by 4 year olds). Like you said, art is subjective and you have your opinion about it and I have mine. I also believe that art is something that requires creativity, skill, and effort, and AMV doesn't fit in those categories, but saying that it's not art just because there's nothing artistic in it is childish. If any of us would describe so easily what's art and what's not, then art critics (I'm talking about real experts) wouldn't even exist in this world.
So as much I wouldn't like to say it, but AMV IS an art form.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2008, 10:19 PM

*phew*
But yea, we would spend hours on end in college talking about what "Art" actually is and getting nowhere lol.

In short i guess Art to me is anything, because through my eyes anything has meaning/reason/creativity etc. and that to me is Art.