JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
xrayagent (Offline)
New to JF

Prepared to parent - 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Choosing to become a parent has little to do with prepared. One can never be prepaired as the chasm between theory and practice is infinite. Having a child feed you something that you cannot readily identify is really the least of one's parenting worries.
(#72 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-30-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayagent View Post
Choosing to become a parent has little to do with prepared. One can never be prepaired as the chasm between theory and practice is infinite. Having a child feed you something that you cannot readily identify is really the least of one's parenting worries.
very true. I've seen a lot among my friends whom I thought where not yet prepared to be a parent and they did not expect themselves too be a parent. But it does happened and I was really surprised of how responsible they have become. They are still carefree as I used to know them, but now they do knows how to sort of priorities.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#73 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-18-2007, 07:50 PM

My head hurts from the stupidity in this thread.

But anyway I just wanna say in Osaka's defence, the 'bad areas' are paved with gold compared to a real city like London or NY. Why in London just walking across the road to buy cigs I have to be careful to not look at anyone the wrong way to avoid getting my head kicked in.

And the dirt and uglyness is just character!

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#74 (permalink))
Old
BlueGirl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to BlueGirl Send a message via MSN to BlueGirl Send a message via Yahoo to BlueGirl
06-26-2007, 02:34 AM

This thread is very interesting.

As a reaction to an early comment, I love the name Sachiko, and I didn't know the -ko names were out of style...maybe they'll be back...lol

I want to live in Japan someday, which means possibly raising kids, and I'm not too eager to overpopulate the earth, so that means adoption. I would love to adopt Chinese children because 1. Asian kids are adorable and I don't want to have my own 2. I have heard many statistics about China being overpopulated and such that I would be eager to help.

Also, I would never adopt a baby, but I would adopt a child that's a little older, three plus maybe.

Family
Sister: EmoxPride
Cousin: ToKyObOxRoBoT, Jo_Kittie
Cousin in Law: NanteNa
Creepy Next-Door-Neighbor: Kittenx
Japanese, Korean and Hong Kong Street Fashion
(#75 (permalink))
Old
Kittenx (Offline)
Little Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kittenx Send a message via MSN to Kittenx
06-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Adopting is very hard from your own country, let alone from somewhere else.

I've always said if I got older and didn't have kids (Or intended to get any of my own) I'd try adopting. I'd try Japan first, but I wouldn't hold my hopes high. More than likely if it seemed to impossible I'd opt for a British child.

And, usually, with adoption, you don't get specifics. You say you want a child, and usually can't state an age or sex, only preferences. They usually wait untill a child comes along and asks if you're interested - Whatever it's age/gender. Or from what I've seen, anyway.

Goodluck on getting a child when you're older.

Click The Banner For My Forum!!!

Visualkeistar ish my Kitten!
ilovedaisuke7's Ish my sister!
Burukuu I'm her fishy!
Himechan I'm her fishy too!
Miyavifan I'm her fishy since I get around alot =)
(#76 (permalink))
Old
Hoshichan (Offline)
nekozuki !! <3

07-22-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxintatei View Post
The first thread on this subject, YEY!
Anyways, I plan on living in Japan...
But I don't ever actually plan on having a kid....
But I do want to adopt...
So when I'm like 25 or something I want to adopt a little Japanese girl..
We'll probably get a lot of weird looks cause I don't have any Asian in me whatsoever, I'm a white girl
But I don't care, I'll still love her ^^
*discuss*
I'd also looove to adopt a little japanese girl ^^
they're so kawaii !!
or I'll have to find a japanese boyfriend

hesh mine !! back off ! grrrr
mi family is too big but I lub you all~
(#77 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-23-2007, 02:14 PM

This is outrageous, I can hardly believe you're serious about that. When you adopt a kid you do it cause you want this kid to have a second chance in life, and you're just thinking of how great it would be to show off your lovely Japanese baby... That's so selfish! Japan doesn't need to put kids up for adoption but many other countries do, so stop talking about it as if it was some kind of game you can play with. Children are no pets, you know.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#78 (permalink))
Old
Lucia (Offline)
New to JF

07-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Adoption is incredibly difficult, not just the procedure, but the actual raising of an adopted child. A friend of mine has two children from China, and they have all kinds of (but the very normal) behaviour problems of children moved from one place to another. Babies are much easier as you will be all they've every known, but a small child (who will come with his or her own name, so picking her a new one and changing it would be very confusing and unsettling for them) will no doubt be traumatised by it all.

You have to think why a child is up for adoption, a baby can be given away, but a child could well have lost it's parents or been abused/abandoned. You have to be ready for that.

I know it seems like i'm raining on the adoption parade here, but it's for people who are dedicated to making a child's life better, regardless or it's age, sex or race. To have very specific child requirements would terrify and adoption agency or government, and there's no way most of them would give a child to someone who wished to dictate so much.

And in my experience, babies are sooooo much easier than children. While a child can be very well bahaved and cute (but not often!), there is an endless list of issues to be dealt with once they enter the world and mix with others, dealing with teachers, bullying, exposure to and dealing with sex/drugs/ambitions/competition and behaviour. It's not that those things are all bad, but it's all hard work and the choices and rules made carry much bigger consequences. Babies are far less worry.

I don't mean to be cruel, but it seems the maker of this thread would just love to have a little Japanese girl they could name and dress and adore, and whilst there's essentially nothing wrong with that, putting that dream into practice would be fraught with complications and moral repercussions.
(#79 (permalink))
Old
Yukio (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2007, 05:20 AM

Okay, for starters, I have no idea if anybody looks at this thread anymore, but for future reference, I'm adopted and Korean. Adopting is incredibly complicated. I've been growing up very confused lately. Most adopted kids have the same questions -If they never knew their birth parents-. I was only 3 months old when I was adopted. I never had the chance to understand why I was put up for adoption or anything. I had a closed adoption so my birth parents didn't want me to know anything about them which plain sucks. I was adopted into a white/Japanese family and I love them to death, but they never realized all the complications about adoption. Sure, go ahead and adopt but good luck.

I wonder how old some of you are, because to me you all sound very immature and shouldn't even be considering kids. And for those of you who are thinking of moving to Japan and living there, things are MUCH different than the U.S. There isn't as much freedom, family life is different. Oh, and for those of you thinking about becoming an English teacher, make sure you know all the aspects to the English language. Don't think that just because you can speak it makes you an expert. There's multiple things when it comes to teaching, which includes all the rules and the etiquette. So, I'm coming off a bit "rude" like some people before, but for good intentions.

So in other news, good luck with adoption.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
08-29-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukio View Post
Okay, for starters, I have no idea if anybody looks at this thread anymore, but for future reference, I'm adopted and Korean. Adopting is incredibly complicated. I've been growing up very confused lately. Most adopted kids have the same questions -If they never knew their birth parents-. I was only 3 months old when I was adopted. I never had the chance to understand why I was put up for adoption or anything. I had a closed adoption so my birth parents didn't want me to know anything about them which plain sucks. I was adopted into a white/Japanese family and I love them to death, but they never realized all the complications about adoption. Sure, go ahead and adopt but good luck.

I wonder how old some of you are, because to me you all sound very immature and shouldn't even be considering kids. And for those of you who are thinking of moving to Japan and living there, things are MUCH different than the U.S. There isn't as much freedom, family life is different. Oh, and for those of you thinking about becoming an English teacher, make sure you know all the aspects to the English language. Don't think that just because you can speak it makes you an expert. There's multiple things when it comes to teaching, which includes all the rules and the etiquette. So, I'm coming off a bit "rude" like some people before, but for good intentions.

So in other news, good luck with adoption.
Yours is the most sensible post I've read so far in this thread.

everything is relative and contradictory ~