JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

12-28-2007, 01:23 PM

very true very true..

something i found interesting from my university days (in australia, not in japan) was that those in my japanese class who were the anime otaku were all asian. they were mostly chinese and vietnamese though. i only know one caucasian anime freak in person, but he is not dress up crazy level, the rest i have met have all been asian. so it is interesting to me that in america there seems to be heaps of caucasian anime otaku but in melbourne i have mostly met asian ones. perhaps because i'm not in highschool, no longer in unversity etc so im not meeting this newer younger wave of caucasian anime otaku that america is experiencing. or maybe it is just not as bad here.. haha.. who knows.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
phishn37 (Offline)
Time to fly ~ !

12-28-2007, 04:54 PM

I sort of agree with this video.

I think that he has a point in that some otaku are annoying, but you're always going to have some obsessed group for any fandom. (Trekkies are another good example.)

However, anime is not really what you could all "popular". Yes, it is popular within a certian amount of people, and is popular among the subculture, but calling it "popular" as in "mainstream" is not correct. We're not there yet ~ !

You've got to run like an antelope, out of control!

My JapanForum Family!
Imotou : criminalpanda
Oniisan : IonFortuna
Oniisan: Tuhin
Otouto: MarkDuff
Oniisan: Hisuwashi
(#33 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 05:13 PM

hmmm...I'm sorry if people don't agree with my opinion (I'm not sure if this has already been said I havent really read all the posts, because I'm lazy) but I think an asian american who was born and raised in america isn't really any more asian than any other american. Sure they are racialy asian, but that's not really what deffines what culture you identify with. It's really about what culture you grew up in. That's really what defines you as a person. So I don't think that person really had a right to be speaking about what he was speaking about.

He can say he is interested in asian culture but to say he is a part of that culture makes him just as much of a poser as any japanophile. Besides he pronounced the word "manga" wrong.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
LILTRINA (Offline)
New to JF

my opinion - 12-29-2007, 12:07 AM

thanx for all the replys
i dont know if everyone is going to agree with my opinion about the video, but i think the part were he said that asians get mad because its like we are taking a part of there culture is not right. there are people in every country that like parts of other culture. but just because they like it dont always mean that they are trying to take it. in a lot of other countries you will see people that like other cultures for example in america there are people that like anime and like to go to conventions and so on, and in japan there is peolpe that like african american culture and like to wear baggy clothes and listen to rap. but we dont get mad about it. me personaly think it is ok to use methods from other cultures to express youself as long as you dont go as far as kunitokotachi said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunitokotachi View Post
1. Playing ninja with some buddies on a university campus of all places.
2. Spending tuition money on anime and books instead of spending it on tuition.
3. Showing up to your first day of Japanese class dressed up as "Sasori" from Naruto and refusing to sit in your desk when sensei asks because you want to sit Japanese style on the floor.
4. Asking me to teach you how to say, "I'm going to kill you bastard and send you to hell!" in Japanese so you can use it on some random Japanese person and watch their facial expression just because you saw it in your favorite manga.
now that is just funny im glad im not like that. im more on ssju81 level.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
NyaChan (Offline)
Promise to find

12-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
Besides he pronounced the word "manga" wrong.
Well, at least he didn't call them "Those backwards books" DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishn37 View Post
I sort of agree with this video.

I think that he has a point in that some otaku are annoying, but you're always going to have some obsessed group for any fandom. (Trekkies are another good example.)

However, anime is not really what you could all "popular". Yes, it is popular within a certian amount of people, and is popular among the subculture, but calling it "popular" as in "mainstream" is not correct. We're not there yet ~ !
*agrees with both points*

I'm too lazy to quote, but I agree with whoever said they hate those who think they're anime fans because they watch Naruto & DBZ. First offs, Naruto and DBZ are shonen, and thus, are not liked by me (Sorry, I'm full on shojo Manga/Anime). And secondly, It's being aired in AMERICA, which means they're taking NO EFFORT to watch it. They just flick on the TV and watch. The least they could do is go out and buy manga of some other series. Plus, one anime series does not make an anime fan. xD;;;

Though so many people know about Naruto, Pokémon, DBZ, and sometimes Sailor Moon, it's not well known. I mean, really, I'll take a manga into school, and I don't know how many times I would used to hear them called "Those backwards books". Though most people at least know them as "The comic books from Japan" (Or something along those lines) now, it's still annoying. Anime and Manga are becoming apart of American life, they should know the correct name by now. >T

As for myself, I jokingly call myself an Otaku. Though I do balance my life and Anime (Half the time I forget to watch an anime episode or go and buy the next volume to a series), it's something me and my friends joke about. I enjoy the animes and manga and love the stories, not just the fact "OMG IT'S FROM JAPAN". I'm attempting to self-teach myself Japanese, and I do hope to spend a summer there after my Senior year of High School, due to my job interests and such, but still. I know that Otakus are the geeks in Japan. And either way, doesn't mean I am one for reals. (Did I really just use "for reals"? O__o)

Promise to find, Yes I will.
ちっぽけな世界なのに、 何故だろう この両手には大きすぎる?