JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LILTRINA (Offline)
New to JF

Cool otakus annoying? - 12-28-2007, 05:09 AM

hey everyone

i was watching this video and i was just wondering if this is how asians really think of american otakus. so any opinions is appreciated.

YouTube - Ask an Asian guy? Anime part 3 of 3
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MageYuri387 (Offline)
Is Part Vampire

12-28-2007, 05:33 AM

I don't think so. It's a good thing that anime and everything has been brought into America. We've found something to occupy us and found something relaxing in our busy lives. This guy has a point though and I agree. I hate the fact that people get cocky just because they know Japanese or something.

I half-agree with the fact that otakus get annoying. The "otakus" that annoy me are the ones that pretend to like anime and whatnot just because they think everyone else likes it. Like the people at my school who think they are now anime fans because they watch one damn show (Naruto *rolls eyes*). They dress up like the characters, they wear the headbands, they quote them, it's just plain ridiculous.

This guy's pretty cool. I might have to check out his videos more often. *subscribing*

Never Take 'I love you', lightly.

Two minds, One Body
~Yuugi and Atemu~

A STEPHENIE MEYER FAN AND ANIME FAN
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-28-2007, 05:53 AM

The ones who annoy me are the ones who are literally obsessed with anime/manga, go around spouting out random Japanese phrases (Kawaii!! Sugoi!!), and expects Japan (if they go) to be like their favorite anime or manga series. Those types make those who are literally interested in Japanese or other Asian cultures look bad.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

12-28-2007, 06:42 AM

fortunately I'm old enough to be out of the atmosphere where i have to witness most anime loving people. people tend to be exposed to such people in educational institutions. in fact this forum is not my only exposure to such people.

This doesn't apply to everyone who likes anime, so please don't get offended people reading this.. but... anime loving people tend to have this image of Japan that it is like some kind of paradise, an anime lovers heaven. while akihabara may be such a place the rest of japan is certainly not. anime/manga otaku are seen as the geeks they are in japan also, women don't like otaku's there anymore than they do in whatever country you live in. japan is most likely a complete contrast to the image many anime lovers seem to have (from my experience)

I agree with SSJup81 that they make those people who are generally interested in Asian and in particular Japan look bad. The students at the university i went to in Japan asked why are so many of the foreigners so weird? referring to those that were into anime so much.

i have an immense interest in Asia, I study it's culture, history, languages, even politics. I don't liked to be referred to as an asian lover if i'm put into the same basket as anime lovers who have little idea about asia.

As for ordering in a restaurant in the language of the place, I don't see a problem with that. As long as the person doesn't do so in an over confident boastful manner there is nothing wrong with trying to put the language to use. What is bad is that many non-asians are unable to identify the difference between vietnamese, chinese, japanese and koreans so when they go to say a Japanese restaurant they might have a chinese waitress who doesn't speak Japanese. many people say xiexie (thank you) to the staff at chinese restaurants but the staff can be vietnamese and so on.

this is indeed about the geeky love of Japan. but aside from the otakus, i feel no asian should be bothered by people who have a genuine interest in their culture and i think frankly, they should be happy if they know more about asian than they do, it is great they have this interest. it is strange that if a white person is seen as being really asian many people feel that is bad but if an asian person is really white that is fine. i don't like that attitude that some people hold.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 06:46 AM

The otakus that annoy me are ones who can't venture past the most accessible series (Naruto, DBZ), really, there are plenty of GREAT titles out there, why only stick to ones that are wallowing in hype?

But...I'd take a crazed, anime/manga fanatic any day over someone who has no interest in anime/manga.

Any person with an interest in the Japanese culture - even if primarily in the anime/manga culture - earn some respect from me.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 07:00 AM

We just had this problem at the university that I work and attend. Every year in the fall Japanese students come to my university to "study English intensively" from August to December. Actually, a lot of them really only come to hang out in America. Anyway, I've been helping the Japanese students out every year and I've been getting the same response from each group. They always laugh at "otaku." It was really interesting this year because a friend of mine is the President of the Anime Club at the university and he wanted me to be a translator because he invited the Japanese students to the club meeting. Once the Japanese students found out that these 20 plus members were into anime they stopped hanging out with them and talking to them. I remember one of the Japanese girls asked me, "Do they seriously sit around here and watch animations?" Now, there are some Japanese "otaku" too mind you. Basically, "otaku" are kind of seen as nerds, wierd individuals, childish, etc. It appears that when Japanese people (a lot of times) hit a certain age they stop watching animations, etc. The best analogy I can use is comparing it to someone here in America at age 18 or older still passionately watching "Barney," "Sesame Street," "Dora the Explorer," "Lazy Town," etc. It was the same when I lived in Japan too. Obsession with anime doesn't go over too well. A few of my Japanese friends may sign up on this forum and they will able to explain how they few in greater detail and feeling.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-28-2007, 07:04 AM

I still like anime, but, not obsessed with it and can take it or leave it. I read manga more than I watch stuff so I guess I wouldn't fall under the category of "otaku" in this regard.

Out of curiosity, though, are there people over 18 who might still watch anime series or read manga in Japan? Not the kiddie stuff, but more so the "older audience" stuff, but not obsessive about it? Would they still be seen as nerds?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
As for ordering in a restaurant in the language of the place, I don't see a problem with that. As long as the person doesn't do so in an over confident boastful manner there is nothing wrong with trying to put the language to use. What is bad is that many non-asians are unable to identify the difference between vietnamese, chinese, japanese and koreans so when they go to say a Japanese restaurant they might have a chinese waitress who doesn't speak Japanese. many people say xiexie (thank you) to the staff at chinese restaurants but the staff can be vietnamese and so on.
That is a very good point.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

12-28-2007, 07:12 AM

I dont know the exact definition of a otaku. I watch anime and play novel games all the time and I like watching animes with lots of philosophy and analysis of human society. Am I being a Otaku? I am neither crazy about collect figures or something like that. I just like the philosophy in animes. And how's that annoying? I dont understand lol. P.S I am Asian lving in US lol

白鳥は哀しからずや、空の青、うみのあをにも、染まず ただよふ。 
美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

12-28-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
As for ordering in a restaurant in the language of the place, I don't see a problem with that. As long as the person doesn't do so in an over confident boastful manner there is nothing wrong with trying to put the language to use.
There's this place that my cousin and I like to go to called 庭の花. It's pretty much a sushi place. The lady that greets you is Japanese and she does orders sometimes too. She seems to know us by face now since we go there every once in a while. I usually try my best to order in Japanese and she corrects me if I make a mistake. She has to be one of the nicest ladies I've ever met. My cousin jokes about how nice she is. She definitely enforces that stereotype that Japanese are very nice and polite.

Now, my cousin, he can tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean people. He's into Asian stuff too and works with Koreans, which is probably why he can easily tell them apart compared to most others. Most just call all Asians Chinese.