JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
12-28-2007, 07:51 AM

Grrrr...personally, I couldn't give a damn. I love anime and I love manga. I watch it all the time. I read it all the time. I collect figures, posters, etc. I play anime based video games (among others) and I wouldn't give any of it up for the world. I am currently learning Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and furthering my studies in German. I am a 17 year old college freshman with a double major in Marine Biology/German and a minor in Chinese and keeping at LEAST a 3.2 GPA. While that does not make me a genius, it's still pretty good. I also have an avid interest in many cultures of the world (mostly history and customs), particularly German and eastern Asian; although, I am also very interested in India .

My point here is that you can be one of the craziest anime fans out there and still have a LIFE! I have friends who absolutely HATE anime. They know I like it and could care less.

Some people in the U.S. think I'm crazy and hate that I like it so much, so why should I expect Japanese people to think differently? I find that stupid. Either you care or you don't. I don't. I like what I like, and if you don't like it then more power to you. Anime fans should stop bitching about other people who disagree with watching it all the damn time and just liking it in general. They just don't. End of story. Move on!

~Genauso wie du~
(#22 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I have a Naruto headband. I bought it at an anime convention I went to last year. I bought it just to say I did. I've never worn it, though. I'd feel stupid doing that.
Yeah, but owning one is different than parading around a university campus (of all places) with it on your head and simulating Naruto fights with buddies. If you were at a convention or something like that where people are doing cosplay than it is excusable. If you think about it, we do a type of cosplay in other countries sometimes. Good example would be in America on every Halloween. Kids dress up, adults dress up and go to clubs and party. So, we have this one day of cosplay once every year too.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#23 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-28-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogamer77 View Post
Grrrr...personally, I couldn't give a damn. I love anime and I love manga. I watch it all the time. I read it all the time. I collect figures, posters, etc. I play anime based video games (among others) and I wouldn't give any of it up for the world. I am currently learning Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and furthering my studies in German. I am a 17 year old college freshman with a double major in Marine Biology/German and a minor in Chinese and keeping at LEAST a 3.2 GPA. While that does not make me a genius, it's still pretty good. I also have an avid interest in many cultures of the world (mostly history and customs), particularly German and eastern Asian; although, I am also very interested in India .
That's different, though. You're not letting anime consume your life like someone obsessed. You seem to have a balance here.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-28-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunitokotachi View Post
Yeah, but owning one is different than parading around a university campus (of all places) with it on your head and simulating Naruto fights with buddies. If you were at a convention or something like that where people are doing cosplay than it is excusable.
I should've specified. I meant to say that I've never worn it since I bought it at the convention. I had a Momiji (Fruits Basket) cap too. I wore it with the headband while there. Outside of the convention, I didn't though. I mostly like plushies, and that's something I like collecting.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogamer77 View Post

My point here is that you can be one of the craziest anime fans out there and still have a LIFE! I have friends who absolutely HATE anime. They know I like it and could care less.

Some people in the U.S. think I'm crazy and hate that I like it so much, so why should I expect Japanese people to think differently? I find that stupid. Either you care or you don't. I don't. I like what I like, and if you don't like it then more power to you. Anime fans should stop bitching about other people who disagree with watching it all the damn time and just liking it in general. They just don't. End of story. Move on!
We are not talking about individuals like you who aren't completely obsessesed. You have to admit that there are some people who go overboard. There is nothing wrong with buying posters, collecting anime related items, and watching and reading manga. Hell, I watch anime myself sometimes. Here is some of the things I was criticizing.

1. Playing ninja with some buddies on a university campus of all places.
2. Spending tuition money on anime and books instead of spending it on tuition.
3. Showing up to your first day of Japanese class dressed up as "Sasori" from Naruto and refusing to sit in your desk when sensei asks because you want to sit Japanese style on the floor.
4. Asking me to teach you how to say, "I'm going to kill you bastard and send you to hell!" in Japanese so you can use it on some random Japanese person and watch their facial expression just because you saw it in your favorite manga.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#26 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

12-28-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
3. Showing up to your first day of Japanese class dressed up as "Sasori" from Naruto and refusing to sit in your desk when sensei asks because you want to sit Japanese style on the floor.
I broke down laughing at this. Seriously, Sasori? So, Japanese class is a cosplay opportunity for them. lol

I used to take Aikido (did lousy in it) and that seiza style way of sitting is annoying. My feet always went numb having to sit that way while my sensei spoke or droned on before and after lessons. They used to cramp too.
Quote:
4. Asking me to teach you how to say, "I'm going to kill you bastard and send you to hell!" in Japanese so you can use it on some random Japanese person and watch their facial expression just because you saw it in your favorite manga.
I really laughed hard at this.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I broke down laughing at this. Seriously, Sasori? So, Japanese class is a cosplay opportunity for them. lol

I used to take Aikido (did lousy in it) and that seiza style way of sitting is annoying. My feet always went numb having to sit that way while my sensei spoke or droned on before and after lessons. They used to cramp too.I really laughed hard at this.
Yeah, as matter of fact my friend was taking basic Japanese class with the "Sasori" student. That student and two of his buddies were a continual headache for that teacher. The teacher ended up cancelling classes some days.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
12-28-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
1. Playing ninja with some buddies on a university campus of all places.
2. Spending tuition money on anime and books instead of spending it on tuition.
Well then yes, these are the people that should be sent to mental institutions. How the hell do they even show their faces?

~Genauso wie du~
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

12-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
We just had this problem at the university that I work and attend. Every year in the fall Japanese students come to my university to "study English intensively" from August to December. Actually, a lot of them really only come to hang out in America. Anyway, I've been helping the Japanese students out every year and I've been getting the same response from each group. They always laugh at "otaku." It was really interesting this year because a friend of mine is the President of the Anime Club at the university and he wanted me to be a translator because he invited the Japanese students to the club meeting. Once the Japanese students found out that these 20 plus members were into anime they stopped hanging out with them and talking to them. I remember one of the Japanese girls asked me, "Do they seriously sit around here and watch animations?" Now, there are some Japanese "otaku" too mind you. Basically, "otaku" are kind of seen as nerds, wierd individuals, childish, etc. I
Good lord, you just described what goes on around my campus every year...

Every semester we get about a half dozen Japanese exchange students. And every semester the anime club jumps all over them like a pack of wild dogs fighting over a hunk of meat. Maybe thats a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. It's almost difficult to watch. . .

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#30 (permalink))
Old
badtz313 (Offline)
New to JF

12-28-2007, 11:07 AM

ha, I'm only half-Asian american so I don't know if my opinion counts but I find crazyAmericananimefans to be a little weird, but not really that bad since they kinda live in their own world anyway. Saying "kawaii kawaii neeee" is hella annoying, but I understand that it probably becomes second nature or something after watching too many cartoons.

One thing that I cannot stand is dissing Chinese/Korean culture because it's not Japanese and getting this sort of fake "Japanese pride" just because they like anime. It's disrespectful and plain irrational. Japan is a very cool country granted, but I find that many anime-fans start hating on any other country that is not Japan.

One thing American anime fans need to realize is that when they get to Japan, they are really NOT gonna blend - not even in Akihabara, especially if they dress crazy or like their favourite character. People will probably just see you as another crazy nerdy foreigner.