(#171 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-12-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyumtimtam View Post
cute! a penguin?
my favuorite one was a cat, but I remember I used to pad all the stuffed toys and dolls I had before going to bed, cos I didn't want any of them to think "I wasn't chosen, she didn't like me".
Do you call them(ぬいぐるみ) stuffed toys?
hahaha! now in my head, a group of おじさん keep saying it and bowing each other.
お久しぶり!(w)先週北イギリスに旅行に行きました I used to do that too! I'd move my toys every day so that they each had a turn 'sleeping' at the top of the bed, so no-one felt left out. In the UK we mostly call them "cuddly toys" or simply just "toys" as most people guess that if you say "I had a robot" you mean something like a plastic toy, or if you say "I had a toy rabbit," you mean something like a ぬいぐるみ。

Quote:
yep! our door was very heavy and we had to push a little bit hard to close it properly, so we call it がっちゃんする.
I really enjoy the onomatopoeia in Japanese language. I'm told that I make up a lot of noises or onomatopoeic words when I talk sometimes too! I don't even realise I do it. :/

Quote:
columbine ちゃん
I am writing this at an internet cafe in 青森.
I have been travelling north part of Japan for 7days now.
Have you been 北海道 or 青森?
私がいた事はありませんがある友だちが北海道にWWOOFし した。WWOOFについて聞いた事がありますか?北海道は っちゃすごくそうです。絶対行きたいんです!

I went to the Lake District on holiday. Have you heard of Beatrix Potter? She wrote a famous children's book called "ピーターラビットのお話”. I went to see her house and her art gallery. But even though it's only four hours away from where I live by car, sometimes it's hard to understand the dialect in the north of England! I learnt Tokyo Japanese too, so when I lived in Osaka, it was hard to understand some people. 私のりょう父は濃い関西弁で話したし、いつも茶色のス エータを着たし、留学生のみなさんで「くま父さん」と 言いました。He would greet me in the morning, but I could hardly understand his accent, so it always sounded like 「あ、おだまきさん、。。。くまくまくまくまくま〜』

I found people in Japan were quite kind about giving me directions and things, especially in Tokyo. My parents were helped a lot, because they don't speak or read any Japanese they found it difficult to find places, but often people on the street would stop to help them, without even being asked. :)
(#172 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuko81 View Post
Yes, there is a song here
Hi Yuko,
sorry, I meant " BACKWARDS ".
so ZYXWVUT... not ABCDEFG

and the website, I'm afraid that you need to get " the rights " to use it.
Can you erase it please?
Quote:
Cool. Your memory is good. I can say 5 digits 3.1416. Is there any poem or song to remember pi, yytt?
No, there was no song, but I just kept saying it and memorized it.
I did it when I was 10 and since then I don't practice but still can recall all of them. I should have studied harder when I was young!

Last edited by yumyumtimtam : 09-13-2010 at 05:51 AM.
(#173 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Hi manganimefan227 - 09-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
There was a very funny show that taught me- sorta- the backwards alphabet =D
Do you still remember it?
(#174 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
お久しぶり!(w)先週北イギリスに旅行に行きました
oh what a coinsident! 私は先月日本に旅行に行きました!
Quote:
I used to do that too! I'd move my toys every day so that they each had a turn 'sleeping' at the top of the bed, so no-one felt left out. In the UK we mostly call them "cuddly toys" or simply just "toys" as most people guess that if you say "I had a robot" you mean something like a plastic toy, or if you say "I had a toy rabbit," you mean something like a ぬいぐるみ。
oh you did that? lovely!
Do you sometimes talk to them too? I mean not like a mad, but....
I would say " sorry! " if I accidentally dropped it or something.
I don't like to see people throwing or kicking them...
maybe I'm too naive but maybe because there are face on it...

I see. so I can say like to the kid " Where is your toy bear? " or " You have a cute toy tutle. "

Thank you!

Quote:
I really enjoy the onomatopoeia in Japanese language. I'm told that I make up a lot of noises or onomatopoeic words when I talk sometimes too! I don't even realise I do it. :/
I love to hear some of your original onomatopoeic words!
I do it when I want to explain about the unusual stuff.
Quote:
た事ありませんが、ある友だちが北海道WWOOFしました。WWOOFについて聞いた事がありますか?北海道 めっちゃすごそうです。(だから/なので)絶対行きたいんです!
はい、もちろんWWOOF知ってますよ!メンバーではありま んが、私にはバックパッカーの友達がたくさんいるの よく話を聞きます。
はい、私も北海道には短期間ではなく長期間の旅をした いと思います!
私の親戚が函館に住んでいます。

I will come back to talk about the Peter Rabbit and your 茶色い熊みたいな寮のおとうさん later!

Thanks! Your stories are alway interesting and make me smile
(#175 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I went to the Lake District on holiday. Have you heard of Beatrix Potter? She wrote a famous children's book called "ピーターラビットのお話”. I went to see her house and her art gallery. But even though it's only four hours away from where I live by car, sometimes it's hard to understand the dialect in the north of England!
How's their dialect like?

Yes, many Japanese people especially girls know the Peter Rabbit, you can see the rabbits on the bottle of mayonase here in Japan

Does also Hastings have something to do with the author?
I remember I found a lovely wooden building full of Peter Rabbit and his friends! I bought a set of writing paper there.

Next time, I will love to travel north part of England.
My favourite English teacher was from Manchester (now she lives in Australia), but I haven't been there yet.

Quote:
I learnt Tokyo Japanese too, so when I lived in Osaka, it was hard to understand some people. 私のりょう父は濃い関西弁で話したし、いつも茶色のス エータを着たし、留学生のみなさんで「くま父さん」と 言いました。He would greet me in the morning, but I could hardly understand his accent, so it always sounded like 「あ、おだまきさん、。。。くまくまくまくまくま〜』
hahaha! A friend of my friends was called おだ まき ちゃん you must be her!
Quote:
I found people in Japan were quite kind about giving me directions and things, especially in Tokyo. My parents were helped a lot, because they don't speak or read any Japanese they found it difficult to find places, but often people on the street would stop to help them, without even being asked. :)
How nice I'm so glad to hear that.
and yes, people in England helped me a lot too!

It's funny, but I got a lot of help while I was travelling northern part of Japan, even I didn't ask them. Maybe because I was travelling alone.
It's kind of the first time for me to get that much of help by Japanese!
So I really want to go back there again!

Have a good day

P.S. Have you seen " Summer Wars " the movie?
(#176 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

What did he mean? - 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi

Let's have lunch at the Korean restaurant tomorrow.

OK, so I'll meet you where?

How about IN the library?

Cool. bananas.
I'm getting hungry already.

What does this " bananas " mean?

Oh, btw I found this!
YouTube - Alphabet Backwards Song - Kidz Crew
Enjoy the Aussie English!
(#177 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Cool. bananas.
I'm getting hungry already.

What does this " bananas " mean?
It's not "Cool. Bananas" but "Cool bananas". Sometimes you hear people say "cool beans" as well. It doesn't really have anything to do with bananas or beans, it's just a fun way of saying "Cool" or "Ok, that's good".

Quote:
How's their dialect like?
It's like this: YouTube - Speaking dialect
The north of England was heavily influenced by people from Scandinavia, especially Norway, so lots of words and pronunciations are still loosely based on the Old Norse language. Also several places in the far north used to speak celtic languages, not english.

Quote:
Yes, many Japanese people, especially girls know of Peter Rabbit. You can see the rabbits on bottles of mayonnaise here in Japan

Does also Hastings have something to do with the author?
I remember I found a lovely wooden building full of Peter Rabbit and his friends! I bought a set of writing paper there.
I don't think she ever lived in Hastings; she was born in London originally. You must have been to the museum. We didn't go, but we saw her house and the art gallery.

Quote:
hahaha! A friend of my friends was called おだ まき ちゃん you must be her!
:P maybe~~ maybe not!
I haven't seen Summer Wars yet. I'm going to see if I can find a copy though. I really want to watch it!

Quote:
oh what a coincidence! 私は先月日本に旅行に行きました!

Do you sometimes talk to them too? I mean not like a mad person, but....
I would say " sorry! " if I accidentally dropped it or something.
I don't like to see people throwing or kicking them...
maybe I'm too naive but maybe because there is a face on it...
Yes, I used to talk to my toys sometimes too! More often I'd talk, but pretend it was the toys talking to each other though.

Quote:
I see. so I can say like to the kid " Where is your toy bear? " or " You have a cute toy tutle. "
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
I love to hear some of your original onomatopoeic words!
I do it when I want to explain about the unusual stuff.
Thats how I use them too. Or just for fun Like I'll say to someone I'm shooing out the room, "Go on, skiddle-skiddle!" or "Squiddle-on" meaning to move quickly in small movements, like how a toddler runs. Or I'll say something has "plammy" feet, meaning big flat feet. Ducks have plammy feet. Puppies have plammy feet that sound like "plam-plam-plam" when they run. ^_^
So never anything serious!

Quote:
はい、もちろんWWOOF知ってますよ!メンバーではありま んが、私にはバックパッカーの友達がたくさんいるの よく話を聞きます。
はい、私も北海道には短期間ではなく長期間の旅をした いと思います!
私の親戚が函館に住んでいます。

I will come back to talk about the Peter Rabbit and your 茶色い熊みたいな寮のおとうさん later!)
私の友達も北海道や山形に色々な所でWWOOFをしました。 島にある農場はとうじきを作っていました。そして、 の友達もとうじきの作る方を勉強しました。
すごいですね!
(#178 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

こんばんは - 09-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It's not "Cool. Bananas" but "Cool bananas". Sometimes you hear people say "cool beans" as well. It doesn't really have anything to do with bananas or beans, it's just a fun way of saying "Cool" or "Ok, that's good".
Oh, I see. おもしろいね~。
Can I say " cool biscuits (or bickies) " ?

Quote:
It's like this:
The north of England was heavily influenced by people from Scandinavia, especially Norway, so lots of words and pronunciations are still loosely based on the Old Norse language. Also several places in the far north used to speak celtic languages, not english.
 <<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Quote:
I don't think she ever lived in Hastings; she was born in London originally. You must have been to the museum. We didn't go, but we saw her house and the art gallery.
You are right. It was maybe a musium or something.
I don't know why but I got the feelings that I shouldn't have talked to the strangers often in Hastings...so I had no chance to ask anyone what it was...
One of my best friends used to homestay there, and she strongly recommended me to stay with the family there too so I did.
I enjoyed the beautiful beachs and all the tiny little shops and all that, but Hastings wasn't my favourite... I didn't meet any bad people at all, but why!?
Is Hastings too touristy place?
Quote:
I haven't seen Summer Wars yet. I'm going to see if I can find a copy though. I really want to watch it!
Oh, I really want you to watch it! You will see where I live (sometimes).
Quote:
Yes, I used to talk to my toys sometimes too! More often I'd talk, but pretend it was the toys talking to each other though.
Yeah, you are right! Oh I remembered.
I did that "puppet show" to my exboyfriend when I was drunk.
I asked him to stop watching the sports news late at night, cos he kept changing the channels but the results were the same every where! (Am I right?), but he kept saying あとちょっとだけ あとちょっとだけ ..., but his あとちょっと was like forever!! So grabbed his gumdam toys, 2 of them, and I did that stupid show like:

Me " Hey my friend Gumdam. What do you think about his attitude?
Do you think it was my big mistake going out with that boy?"

Gundam " Yeah, you made a big mistake. Dump him! "

Me " Oh you reckon? What do you think Mr.Char Aznable? "

Char " He is just a kid. I can make him cry if you want"

Me " Really? Oh you're such a nice man Mr.Char Aznable! Go go! "

Char " Hey XXX (my ex's name), Stop watching the bloddy Telly! Listen to me or she will be mine! 5,4,3,2,1..."

My ex laught hilarious and said OK.

Yeah.... I haven't done that kind of show for a loooooong time.
I think I need a lot of yummy wine. hahaha.

Quote:
Yes, that's correct.
cool beans and bananas!
Quote:
Thats how I use them too. Or just for fun Like I'll say to someone I'm shooing out the room, "Go on, skiddle-skiddle!" or "Squiddle-on" meaning to move quickly in small movements, like how a toddler runs.
Oh, I just looooooooooooooooove that!
just like toddler runs? how cute.

mmm I can't think of any good ones in Japanese for that situation...
I would say しっしっしっ!(shooing) or はい、ばいば~い、ばいば~い
or... I know I know ちゃんちゃ~ん ちゃかちゃか ちゃんちゃん ちゃか ちゃか ちゃんちゃん ちゃかちゃか ちゃかかかかか かか♪
this is one of my favourite ones.
ちゃかちゃか = quickly
and this ちゃかちゃかsong is based on 運動会 song:
YouTube - 天国と地獄

Quote:
Or I'll say something has "plammy" feet, meaning big flat feet. Ducks have plammy feet. Puppies have plammy feet that sound like "plam-plam-plam" when they run. ^_^
So never anything serious!
Yeah, I love those stuff.
Thank you for sharing! I loved it.
Quote:
私の友達も北海道や山形に色々な所でWWOOFをしました。 島にある農場はとうじきを作っていました。そして、 の友達もとうじきの作る方を勉強しました。
すごいですね!
Wow! 陶磁器?Making pots and cups and plates....that's one of the things I 've been dreaming of. How nice! You should come to Japan to do the WWOOF and making cups too! I'd come with you

おもしろかった~
ありがとう またね
(#179 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see. おもしろいね~。
Can I say " cool biscuits (or bickies) " ?
haha, if you want to! See, this is why when people ask me "What's the British accent like?" I always answer "Which one?"

Quote:
I enjoyed the beautiful beaches and all the tiny little shops and all that, but Hastings wasn't my favourite... I didn't meet any bad people at all, but why!?
Is Hastings too touristy place?
hmm, I don't really know much about Hastings. I've never been there. Oh, I know about the battle in 1066. It's changed a bit since then though!

Quote:
I asked him to stop watching the sports news late at night, cos he kept changing the channels but the results were the same every where! (Am I right?)
*W*My dad does this when his favourite rugby team loses a big game. It's like it didn't really happen unless every channel confirms it.

hahah, I had literally hundreds of Sylvanian families. I'd play long involved games with them.
(#180 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
haha, if you want to! See, this is why when people ask me "What's the British accent like?" I always answer "Which one?"
なるほどね、おもしろ~い!

Quote:
hmm, I don't really know much about Hastings. I've never been there. Oh, I know about the battle in 1066. It's changed a bit since then though!
I see. I bought a few postcards and one of them has the number "1066", but I didn't know why, there wasn't any explanation there.mmm now I'm qurious, I will find it and have another look.
Quote:
*W*My dad does this when his favourite rugby team loses a big game. It's like it didn't really happen unless every channel confirms it.
Oh, he likes rugby not soccer?
There are many type of footballs, I can't follow all of them, but I love soccer.
In Australia, they have another type of football called Aussie Rules and I liked it too. I don't know why guys do that, watching all the channels for the same results!?
Quote:
hahah, I had literally hundreds of Sylvanian families. I'd play long involved games with them.
wow, hundreds?
My little sister had some but maybe around 10.
They are bunnies? mice?

We had many of these. You might have seen some of them when you were in Japan maybe?
モンチッチホームページ - 商品紹介|シリーズ|ドレスモンチッチ