JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: How literate is your writing?
what are grammar . 1 1.11%
What are , " and . for? 1 1.11%
I can write just fine--I just don't do it 11 12.22%
I'm a grammar nazi, and I show it. 22 24.44%
I try to use good grammar... usually 27 30.00%
Grammar comes easy, but I really don't care 19 21.11%
I have an excuse: English as Second Language 9 10.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
04-17-2008, 09:22 PM

III attempt grammar but you know thing is, I am just really bad at it. o.o
And English is my first language u.u..

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I'm normally the same. I don't assume it's a teenager for the pure fact I'm 17 and that would be slightly hypocritical, but I usually think it's some random 12 year old who stumbled acorss this forum on Myspace, I've seen it advertised on there previously.
EXACTLY. Things like:

"i hav read the hole thred n liek, i think u all r juss a buncha jerks."

make me assume automatically that I'm talking to someone under the age of sixteen ("under").

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

04-17-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbeRz View Post
I hate it when people write big paragraphs but dont use punctuation so the sentence never seems to end then you end up getting all confused cause they suddenly start talking about something else when your still thinking about the sentence you just read i mean is it really that time consuming to put a couple of commas in there?.....and I like using capital letters in the correct places, it makes it look neater. xD
Lmao. Well put!

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

04-17-2008, 09:28 PM

my excuse is that i horrible in english.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#45 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
04-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
EXACTLY. Things like:

make me assume automatically that I'm talking to someone under the age of sixteen ("under").
I agree.
That's a huge pet peeve of mine. x.x
I mean if you have to think about what you're reading because it's such bad grammar, there's an issue. :/
Typing is not that hard.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

04-17-2008, 09:32 PM

Kenpachi: If you would write the same way you would speak to the governor of GA, it would probably come out a lot better.

Even better, you're writing a letter to the governor and you want him to really consider what you have to say (which means he has to take you seriously).

Quote:
(#47 (permalink))
Old
ilovedaisuke7 (Offline)
Shwink. XD

04-17-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY. Things like:

I agree. That's drives me insane! That's probably why a lot people on this forum think I'm older than 16, cause I tend to write in perfect grammar.
Although sometimes, I'll forget a period, or forget to capitalize something.
Oh and on AIM I usually don't capitalize the first letter of the sentence, but on forums and other places, I really try to have good grammar. ^^
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

04-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Kenpachi: If you would write the same way you would speak to the governor of GA, it would probably come out a lot better.

Even better, you're writing a letter to the governor and you want him to really consider what you have to say (which means he has to take you seriously).
lol i probably wouldnt. and anyway the governor wouldnt listen to what ppl says. they are like all the other politicians.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

04-17-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
lol i probably wouldnt. and anyway the governor wouldnt listen to what ppl says. they are like all the other politicians.
Well, if you look at it that way, I guess you won't ever improve :P . Sounds like you don't much care, though, so no biggie .

Quote:
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
04-17-2008, 10:08 PM

I am a grammar Nazi when it comes to my native language... mostly due to my profession which requires me to use perfect grammar at all times. So it kind of grows into the bone, i guess. When i am writing in other languages, however, especially in informal atmosphere (e.g. internet forums), i am not as strict. Still, i do (try to) watch my spelling and punctuation, although i am too lazy to read through the whole post after i have finished typing, so there may be some mistakes here and there. So i guess that i go under the category "I try to use good grammar... usually".

One more thing... in my country, especially within the communities of people of my age and older (thus excluding the ignorant and undisciplined teenagers and alike), it is common to dispraise improper grammar, so it drives people to be more careful and think about the way they speak and write. We are thought that we show disrespect to our mother language by not learning how to use it properly, thus it is expected from us to know it in perfection. We are used to the idea that everyone must know their native language as good as we know ours and i have to admit that usage of false grammar may devastate my first impression of a person, if i know that i am speaking with him in his mother language.

Yet there seems to be even bigger problem that i have seen in a lot of places all over the internet. The people seem to have lost the ability to clearly express their thoughts, which i think is by far worse than bad grammar.
Chaotic sentence structures, illogical synonyms and often complete lack of any kind of any structure in texts often renders them abstruse and unreadable.