(#31 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocka83 View Post
I am basing my knowledge off of mainland Japan tradition. My wife is Mainland Japanese and I lived there for 4 years. I have only been in Okinawa for 1 1/2 years. Also, before I post anything related to Japan, I verify with my wife to ensure I am correct.
I was not saying you were not a good source, I was pointing out to Kayci that assumptions were being made without fact which is not always wise.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

Send a message via Yahoo to jrocka83 Send a message via Skype™ to jrocka83
07-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I was not saying you were not a good source, I was pointing out to Kayci that assumptions were being made without fact which is not always wise.
Its cool dude . Just giving you my credentials.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Personally, I don't wear tradtional Japanese clothes unless I absolutely have to.

A few years ago I saw a gaijin getting on a plane at the airport in one of those triangle shaped hats, yukata and wooden geta. He looked like a doofus.
OMG!
That's worse than just a gaijin, that is a total idiot!

It gives me visions of fabric caught on escalators (cause he didn't get the right length), crashes to the floor when he topples over on the getas trying to hurry to the gate, and other passengers getting poked in the eye by his headwear during boarding. Not to mention that you just know someone that ridiculous didn't even think to make sure the yukata stayed closed when he put his bag in the overhead bin or when he took his seat. I hope he was wearing jeans under the yukata.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2008, 03:56 AM

Ok. To be more clear and friendly:

A hotel yukata is most simple because its like a long robe and the obi is more of a long, narrower sash that can be tied simply. Like, not same, as a robe. You get out of a hot spring and are sweaty and hot and it's loose and cool. Jeans,t-shirt arer clingy when wet, tight and take more time to put on is such a situation.

But wear that in the street and I know J-folk will say, "Hen na gaijin." Every Japanese person I know will say that. You don't want to look like a "wierdo or strange gaijin." Especially in a country where most people don't meet foreigners let alone ones that understand them and their culture.

And anyone who can find me in California is welcome to drop by for a drink, some laughs and whatever other trouble they bring.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

07-08-2008, 04:59 AM

I've worn a yukata to festivals before, I have 3 of them in my closet. I didn't feel conspicuous or embarrassed, especially compared to some of the wild styles people here wear to festivals. I'm looking forward to hanabi at Asakusa this month, is anyone else going?
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I've worn a yukata to festivals before, I have 3 of them in my closet. I didn't feel conspicuous or embarrassed, especially compared to some of the wild styles people here wear to festivals. I'm looking forward to hanabi at Asakusa this month, is anyone else going?
A piture of YOU in yukata would do so much more to further the topic!
(#37 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

07-08-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Ok. To be more clear and friendly:

A hotel yukata is most simple because its like a long robe and the obi is more of a long, narrower sash that can be tied simply. Like, not same, as a robe. You get out of a hot spring and are sweaty and hot and it's loose and cool. Jeans,t-shirt arer clingy when wet, tight and take more time to put on is such a situation.

But wear that in the street and I know J-folk will say, "Hen na gaijin." Every Japanese person I know will say that. You don't want to look like a "wierdo or strange gaijin." Especially in a country where most people don't meet foreigners let alone ones that understand them and their culture.

And anyone who can find me in California is welcome to drop by for a drink, some laughs and whatever other trouble they bring.
Did I say I would smash you? I think I meant I would be more than happy to get smashed with you . What is your Japanese beverage of choice?
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Did I say I would smash you? I think I meant I would be more than happy to get smashed with you . What is your Japanese beverage of choice?
I love nihonshu. I would read books on brewing and visit places when possible. Everywhere village or vacation spot I go to I would definitely pick-up the local jizake (local sake or micro-brewery). Visitors always bring the grog for omiyage. Then I had a child and support a family, so I can't afford decent sake.

How about you?
(#39 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

07-08-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
I love nihonshu. I would read books on brewing and visit places when possible. Everywhere village or vacation spot I go to I would definitely pick-up the local jizake (local sake or micro-brewery). Visitors always bring the grog for omiyage. Then I had a child and support a family, so I can't afford decent sake.

How about you?
I am a big fan of Ebisu. I am also a hot sake fan after meals, but not much of a Connoisseur.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I am a big fan of Ebisu. I am also a hot sake fan after meals, but not much of a Connoisseur.
I'll always choose an american microbrew for a beer, but for Japanese beer I like Sapporo Super Dry. Unfortunately, the japenese beers here are made by companies like Budwieser in America or in Canada. They don't taste nearly as good as the same loabel sold in Japan. Japanese restauraints will sell cnadian brewed Japanes beer as "imported."

Lately Ebisu and Kirin have been on sale in the asian markets for $12 a case.