(#31 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
My Japanese teacher actually asked one time if for my family's Easter dinner if we had Fried Chicken just because I was black. Misconceived notions will probably always be a problem to some extent, though.
Wow, that is one that I find surprising. I don`t know anyone in Japan who knows those sort of stereotypes - they seem to be limited to the US... Although I assume your teacher had probably lived in the US for a while (if not forever) and picked it up there.

In regards to the actual topic...

I DO think that a LOT of users on here have a very distorted view of Japan, but not in the way that the original poster implied. Those are "common" misconceptions, and are known well enough that someone who has never been to Japan (Like the OP I presume) can find countless bits of information about them.

It`s the other, more subtle things that seem to be muddled a lot more. It`s people`s beliefs about what they can accomplish in Japan, about the ease of hopping to another country to live, etc that are the real "distortions" obvious on this board. Another big glaring one (on this board) has to do with fashion, as the "Japanese fashion styles" so adored pretty much exist only in the minds of other foreign "fans". In real Japan, it`s dress up time in one or two TINY locations, and nothing near a way of life or accepted. It`s sort of like going to a costume party and making the assumption that everyone can get away with that in everyday life. In other words, so far from reality that it`s laughable.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

08-20-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarleyGee View Post
If I ever take a trip to Japan in the far future, the thing I would dread the most are the trains during the crowded times. I'm severely claustrophobic... eh.
Hopefully there will be an alternative : D
There is an alternative - visit Japan and not Tokyo.
There is the whole rest of the country where the trains usually aren`t packed to the point of bursting.

(#33 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Wow, that is one that I find surprising. I don`t know anyone in Japan who knows those sort of stereotypes - they seem to be limited to the US... Although I assume your teacher had probably lived in the US for a while (if not forever) and picked it up there.

In regards to the actual topic...

I DO think that a LOT of users on here have a very distorted view of Japan, but not in the way that the original poster implied. Those are "common" misconceptions, and are known well enough that someone who has never been to Japan (Like the OP I presume) can find countless bits of information about them.

It`s the other, more subtle things that seem to be muddled a lot more. It`s people`s beliefs about what they can accomplish in Japan, about the ease of hopping to another country to live, etc that are the real "distortions" obvious on this board. Another big glaring one (on this board) has to do with fashion, as the "Japanese fashion styles" so adored pretty much exist only in the minds of other foreign "fans". In real Japan, it`s dress up time in one or two TINY locations, and nothing near a way of life or accepted. It`s sort of like going to a costume party and making the assumption that everyone can get away with that in everyday life. In other words, so far from reality that it`s laughable.
exactly, and it's easily to side with the OP on this issue if you look at a lot of the threads/posts here. But, it's also easy to realize a lot of these posters are young and still very ambitious. I also wish to move to Japan to stay/live/work and I know it's going to be very HARD. A lot harder then the USA to work at a company. Much overtime work, lot more expectations and the like. Rightfully so, because if I'm not going to do it, I'm sure there's someone else in line behind me that can and will. These things are natural when entering the real world (not lolita-goth-anime-whatever world that people dream of) in Japan.

I'm also a fan of Japanese fashion, but like what you posted...not that Harajuku/Lolita/Goth/Maid stuff that is weekend fantasy wear. Real Japanese fashion is very nice, I love 'oshare' looks and different styles of hair (another thing they seem to think is everyone has their favorite J-Rocker/VisualKei haircut). The fact of the matter is, none of these styles would get the wearer a normal job at any normal company and is purely fantasy and only a minority when it comes to Japan and fashion. I don't mean to be negative on this issue, but it sometimes bothers me too...as we see a lot of it here.

I'm sure once they visit real Japan (outside of Tokyo) I'm sure they'd understand what we're talking about.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-20-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. She's originally from Nagoya, iirc. She married an American many years ago (her youngest is about my age, and living in Africa now, if I remember right) and moved here. Her husband is an Akido instructor, but, he's white. I guess she hasn't been around a lot of black people in the sense of cuisine, or, maybe because we're in Virginia, and it is known for "southern cuisine" and fried chicken being one of the main dishes eaten, and, on television, it's stereotyped that all we eat is "soul food" and I guess my being overweight furthered the misconception. See, for that lesson, we were learning names of foods, so I explained, as best as I could back then, that my family did not eat fried chicken (Kazoku wa FURAIDO CHIKIN o tabemasen deshita [I think I said then]). Anyway, I told her that my family had turkey for that meal, she actually looked surprised. I even mentioned something along the lines of how I didn't care much for fried chicken in general, and she looked surprised.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-20-2008 at 01:06 AM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-20-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
There is an alternative - visit Japan and not Tokyo.
There is the whole rest of the country where the trains usually aren`t packed to the point of bursting.
I feel the same way. Every time I mention Japan and my wanting to live there for a while or visit, people always mention Tokyo. I then surprise them by saying, "I actually don't have much interest in Tokyo. I'd never want to live in a place like Tokyo, but there are some places I wouldn't mind seeing there." I'd then name some places I wouldn't mind residing in, and most places I named were usually outside of big cities. One place I've mentioned, that is a bit random, is Ishikari, or a semi-rural area, and of course I get "" looks. ^^
(#36 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-20-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelgill View Post
lol
its just as bad as when ever i go to louisiana or mississippi,i tell people im from texas and there like"no your not your not wearing a cowboy hat or carrying a six-shooter"
You mean you don't?! Shock!! lol

Gotta hate stereotypes. I know I do. Another one I've gotten before is that just because I'm black, it's automatically assumed that I listen to rap/hip-hop. That's low on my list of genres of music that I'd voluntarily listen to. I'm not much of a fan at all. I prefer rock, techno, trance, jazz, etc., to it. I do like some of the older stuff. You know, the goofy stuff, like Will Smith, from back in the 80s or Run DMC, but the junk now is just...eww...imo.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-20-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
My views on Japan are not set in stone as although I'm studying the language and culture, I haven't been (yet).

Of course I have an idea on what it might be like based on what I've experienced and heard. But there's nothing wrong with that no?
You sound like me. I've been studying both the language and the culture due to my extreme interest in it. I just wish I would've had the opportunity to do so when I was younger, but I had no place to learn of it or its culture, aside from random books I'd read in the library (culture ones; self-learning Japanese I couldn't get it well). My middle and high schools didn't offer any Asian languages, technically, so in middle school, I went with the next best thing...Spanish language and culture, since I've had a strong interest in that forever as well. The high school had a Japanese class, but since I was already in Spanish, it was pointless to join it, especially since a short time later, they got rid of the class because not enough students were taking it. Also, the Internet wasn't as prominent back then either to find information lightning fast.

If I'd been born like, ten years later, and if the zoning hadn't changed, I'd have had the opportunity to study Japanese culture in school, like I originally wanted to, since Asian studies are offered there now.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-20-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
exactly, and it's easily to side with the OP on this issue if you look at a lot of the threads/posts here. But, it's also easy to realize a lot of these posters are young and still very ambitious. I also wish to move to Japan to stay/live/work and I know it's going to be very HARD. A lot harder then the USA to work at a company. Much overtime work, lot more expectations and the like. Rightfully so, because if I'm not going to do it, I'm sure there's someone else in line behind me that can and will. These things are natural when entering the real world (not lolita-goth-anime-whatever world that people dream of) in Japan.
I must be an odd one. I actually aspire that aspect, the overtime, trying to present a good image for your company, etc., but I'm used of working overtime without pay. My job at SunTrust I did it without complaining and at the middle school I worked at as an Assistant Teacher, I'd stay longer than I had to without the pay due to the irresponsibility of others. I think I'm just used to it or something, since I do do it without thinking much about it. Weird of me, probably...
Quote:
I'm also a fan of Japanese fashion, but like what you posted...not that Harajuku/Lolita/Goth/Maid stuff that is weekend fantasy wear.
I'm not going to lie, I actually like some of those Loli styles. I like Kuro Lolita style, Gothic Lolita style, and Aristocrat Lolita style, but I also say this, if I can't bring myself to dress like any of these styles at home, then I wouldn't do it there either. lol
Quote:
Real Japanese fashion is very nice, I love 'oshare' looks and different styles of hair (another thing they seem to think is everyone has their favorite J-Rocker/VisualKei haircut). The fact of the matter is, none of these styles would get the wearer a normal job at any normal company and is purely fantasy and only a minority when it comes to Japan and fashion. I don't mean to be negative on this issue, but it sometimes bothers me too...as we see a lot of it here.
I can't believe anyone would think this in general. Seriously! I have kind of a celtic/hippie type style to me. So I've been told, anyway. Last night, someone straight up told me that. "You have a celtic thing going on with the dragon earrings and dragon winged necklace with the dark jewel and small circle with the star in it, and the clothes go too [I was wearing a frilly black shirt (looks kind of like a corset) and dress pants]." I wouldn't dare dress in such a fashion for a job interview or in the workplace. It looks unprofessional. I think only really young people would assume otherwise, or those who have never really been out and worked anyplace with dress and hair codes. Seems that at places like fastfood restaurants and grocery stores, it's not as strict since you're given a uniform. I know working at SunTrust, we weren't allowed to wear our hair wild and such and we were to always dress appropriately, meaning no jeans (or jean skirts, much to my dismay) or revealing clothing, etc. Hair had to be neat and in place and appropriate, etc. It's foolish to think that a weekend hobby (Harajuku folks who dress up) would do so on a regular basis if they have regular jobs.

*Realizes I'm rambling and shuts up* ^^;;
(#39 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
08-20-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
its not that fun, thats for sure...but Japanese people are not pushy nor are they rude. If you ever bump into someone, a simple 'sumimasen'/'gomennasai' will do..as apposed to america where someone will practically kill you if you bump into them.

there's not much alternatives unless you take a taxi everywhere which is very expensive.
I guess that's why I like living where I do. Most people here have great manners.

True... ha, but I know that if I was in Japan, I wouldn't care, because, for one, I'm in Japan : D

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

08-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I must be an odd one. I actually aspire that aspect, the overtime, trying to present a good image for your company, etc., but I'm used of working overtime without pay. My job at SunTrust I did it without complaining and at the middle school I worked at as an Assistant Teacher, I'd stay longer than I had to without the pay due to the irresponsibility of others.
Erm... I think that you too have fallen into the sea of misconception too.

Most people in Japan do NOT work overtime without pay. It`s actually against the law at the moment, and quite a lot of efforts are being taken to reduce or eliminate it. The image of everyone in Japan doing massive amounts of overtime because they want to look good at the company is around 20 years out of date. :P
Overtime, yes, but not for free. Especially not now that the "Cool Biz / Warm Biz" movement is in full swing - because of the rising energy costs, a lot of companies try to get everyone out of the office ASAP to cut down on costs.

You can have distorted views in both directions.