03-12-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
How are they trying to improve?
- By not printing money like no tomorrow
- By building infrastructure
- By saving and investing for a better future
- By not going on a binge of reckless consumption using other people's money

All the GDP figures is pointing upwards, surely you can't call that going backwards.

Ronin, I know you have problem with some of Chinese government's policies but you can't discredit the entire system based on your fancy idealogies.

You haven't got the faintest clue how smart the Chinese government is. It is securing energy supplies for its growth which is why it is dealing with rogue nations. With the current economic crisis, thes Chinese government is using its massive savings to take over resource companies all around the world on the cheap.

Government has set policies that forces foreign companies to team up with Chinese local partners so that the Chinese companies can quickly catch up in terms of technology.

These things may not be the best for the west but it is good for the Chinese as a nation and its people.

One more thing, the Chinese government plans for the long term, not just using patch solutions to get them to the next election (more stimulous anyone?)

Last edited by kirakira : 03-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Nothing wrong with China acting in it's own interests... nor have I accused China of being anything but smart but when those interests compromise my "fancy ideologies" then I say it's not improving at all.

I'm not interested in what's good for the West. I'm interested in what's good for humankind. Chinese people included.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-12-2009 at 08:58 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-12-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with China acting in it's own interests... nor have I accused China of being anything but smart but when those interests compromise my "fancy ideologies" then I say it's not improving at all.

I'm not interested in what's good for the West. I'm interested in what's good for humankind. Chinese people included.
Well the argument was never about whats good for "mankind" or whatever, the argument is what is CCP doing to improve its citizen's lives. I think you'll have to agree with me on this one.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-12-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
Well the argument was never about whats good for "mankind" or whatever, the argument is what is CCP doing to improve its citizen's lives. I think you'll have to agree with me on this one.
Huh?

I was responding to noodle not the OP. The context being human rights.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-12-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Huh?

I was responding to noodle not the OP. The context being human rights.
Beh, okay misread that one. Well the Chinese version of human right is food on table and education.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-12-2009, 09:41 AM

deleted... accidentally posted twice
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Beh, okay misread that one. Well the Chinese version of human right is food on table and education.
So is mine... except it includes freedom of speech among other things too.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
03-12-2009, 02:41 PM

China's time in the sun will come it will shine and at eventually it will fade this is the way of things this is how it always been done. I dont think my comments will be of any use since i tend to think on a global scale. I am not just concerned about my country but others as well in name of the human kind because boys and girls in the end natural recourses will run out. The world is not moving towards being more independent nations again they are moving closer the web of each country will become so entangled it will be impossible for any nation including China to survive on its on.

The fact is most of are predicting whats going to happen in 5 years but honestly we have no damn clue what will in terms of the financial crises and many other issues. Hell a Russian diplomat seems to think that the US ill split in to 3 different smaller nations and we will have a civil war in 10 years. um ok even the Russian students at the University he was giving a speech at call that bullshit.

The time of one nation being a super power will fade and countries will be forced out of necessity to work together as equals. I dont care what country you live in Japan China the US but if you think you really know what your government is up to you have a rude awakening coming.

My biggest problems with China

1.Quality of the goods coming from there i dont mind buying Chinese products as long as they are safe and there have been too many instances of tainted products making its way on the market. I dont care how much you produce if you product sucks or makes people sick its crap.

2. I have a real problem with some of the Chinese positions in Africa. Africa has been raped by many countries over the centuries and this is one of the many factors which has led Africa to what it is today. The natrual resources of Africa are being sucked up like a vacum and China is one of the culprits.

Those are two biggest problems with China the Tibet and Taiwan issue goes in circles and only pisses me off so i wont even touch it.

cheers

(#29 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta not - 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM

As printed WSJ Mar9,2009
According to recent figures from both US CBO 'Congressinal Budget Office' and Bureau Labor Statistics over the next 12 months the US economy will shed 2.8 million jobs.
Business Week: Strip away the billions of toxic assets and the billions more that the feds have pumped
into Citigroup, and what you have is a dandy little bank that actually makes money. At least that was the upbeat takeaway from Citi’s beleaguered CEO Vikram Pandit, who distributed a memo to employees late on Mar. 9 about the bank’s bright prospects, despite the current $1-a-share price tag.
Neo liberalism - go figure. my insert.

China Needs Another $2 Trillion of Treasuries: William Pesek
Commentary by William Pesek
March 13 (Bloomberg) -- A record plunge in Chinese exports may be great news for the U.S. Treasury.
It’s simple mathematics. The U.S. economy is more than four times the size of China’s. Growth in China is wildly lopsided toward exports, many of those goods packed on ships bound for America. So, if China wants to stay afloat, it should spend less money building roads, bridges and dams and more on U.S. debt. That would give the U.S. and its consumers the access to easy credit to reignite spending, much of it on Chinese-made goods.

OK, so that’s not about to happen. China is already spooked about its $696 billion of Treasuries. Their value is subject to the whims of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke.

Last edited by fluffy0000 : 03-12-2009 at 08:21 PM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

03-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
- By not printing money like no tomorrow
- By building infrastructure
- By saving and investing for a better future
- By not going on a binge of reckless consumption using other people's money

All the GDP figures is pointing upwards, surely you can't call that going backwards.

Ronin, I know you have problem with some of Chinese government's policies but you can't discredit the entire system based on your fancy idealogies.

You haven't got the faintest clue how smart the Chinese government is. It is securing energy supplies for its growth which is why it is dealing with rogue nations. With the current economic crisis, thes Chinese government is using its massive savings to take over resource companies all around the world on the cheap.

Government has set policies that forces foreign companies to team up with Chinese local partners so that the Chinese companies can quickly catch up in terms of technology.

These things may not be the best for the west but it is good for the Chinese as a nation and its people.

One more thing, the Chinese government plans for the long term, not just using patch solutions to get them to the next election (more stimulous anyone?)
Two more thing: China finally has Hong Kong, a very start of the China-boom spark.

Asian values - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently it looks like the Asian values, having been supported by many Asian politicians including the Muslim Malaysian government, is making a comeback recently. And there's the conservative Hindutva movement in India that is strong recently.

Come to think of it, the world is getting more and more fractured than we ever imagined.

Quote:
Well the argument was never about whats good for "mankind" or whatever
Mankind? Internationalism? This is a very Marxist-Leninist concept to me.

Last edited by komitsuki : 03-12-2009 at 11:25 PM.