(#61 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-16-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpum View Post
er.. can i just mention here that America is that land that invented BAYWATCH !!!
and the A-TEAM !!

how the hell could you hate a country that did that !

猿も木から落ちる
(#62 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rison View Post
Its a misconception....Americans are spoilt and not lazy.An Amercan wants to buy a cigarette from a mall down the street and he takes his SUV instead of walking, he might be very hardworking in fact.

See being spoilt is seen as laziness in some parts of the world.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement, and still simply a stereotype. Of course there are spoiled Americans...every first-world country has spoiled individuals.

But that is still a stereotype, and far from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rison View Post
Yeah that, and America turned its back on them.
What are you talking about? The French and Americans are working to get rid of the Somali pirates.

I love how we want the US to stop being the world's police until the moment we WANT the US to be the world's police.

"Mind your own business, but don't turn your back on us."

Last edited by MMM : 04-16-2009 at 07:45 AM.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-16-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOXkAWAIiXOX View Post
Obama is trying to make peace with Islam because of what Bush did... just went in there and blew everything up. Obama's trying to stop that. He told the Islamic government, "America will never be at war with Islam." At first I didn't agree with it beacause they are the terrorists, but now that I actually look at it, it's a great idea. It's a way to stop terrorism. I know it won't happen in the near future, but "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"--Confucious. And stem-cell research doesn't affect the economy, but using it for reseans that will just cause chaos is a bad idea. Using for medical research is a good thing, which is why Obama said that stem-cell research will only be aloud for that purpose only.
We blew up there religion? Strange

Did you forget 9/11?

Since when where we at war with Islam? I"m asking for evidence to support your claim. Obama made an fopaw with that one since we where never at war with Islam to begin with. Secondly you need to distinguish between the religion and terrorist. No it's not a way to stop someone who wants to kill you based on your ideology. There's no playing nice, I would at least expect people to understand this, since roughly 3,000 innocent people died because of terrorists. Look at the situation in Israel if you want to know where talking to Terrorists gets you.

Stem-cell research is a miss-understood research. I've heard both sides who say it would work/not and at the essence we simply do not know how much/effective it would be. What we need is a dialogue on the issue. Like for the fact we can get stem-cells from birthing fluid instead of using an egg (can't remember if it has to be fertilized). Me being pro-life fully supports using birthing fluid for research.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-16-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
We blew up there religion? Strange

Did you forget 9/11?

Since when where we at war with Islam? I"m asking for evidence to support your claim. Obama made an fopaw with that one since we where never at war with Islam to begin with. Secondly you need to distinguish between the religion and terrorist. No it's not a way to stop someone who wants to kill you based on your ideology. There's no playing nice, I would at least expect people to understand this, since roughly 3,000 innocent people died because of terrorists. Look at the situation in Israel if you want to know where talking to Terrorists gets you.

Stem-cell research is a miss-understood research. I've heard both sides who say it would work/not and at the essence we simply do not know how much/effective it would be. What we need is a dialogue on the issue. Like for the fact we can get stem-cells from birthing fluid instead of using an egg (can't remember if it has to be fertilized). Me being pro-life fully supports using birthing fluid for research.
We are not at war with Islam, and to say so is simply ignorant. Thank you for pointing that out again.

Stem-cell research is a new field. There is no reason not to explore the possibilities it may open up in fighting diseases like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, cancer as well as people with fertility problems and a host of other issues.

"I don't know how effective it would be". So therefore we shouldn't explore the possibilities? Come on.

I am curious as to why being pro-life would mean that stem-cell research wouldn't be feasible. Doesn't a woman's body "abort" an egg every month she isn't actively getting pregnant?
(#65 (permalink))
Old
minimin (Offline)
Reeta-Leena Korhola

Send a message via AIM to minimin Send a message via MSN to minimin
04-16-2009, 08:08 AM

Hmmm yeah there are pre conceived notions about what Americans are how they look and what they do: their fat, lazy, partiers, who sit around and wait for things to come to them and will not do work. LIES. thats only some of the population now I m not one of those people who go around singing "I love America" to be quite frank I dont I was just born here, but still Im going to live here until life is unsustainable and if it gets much worse than it is now you can count I'll leave but until then I'll be American. I am glad that I wasnt born in a much worse country and that I dont have severe limitations as other countries do. But their are hard working people here who, work everyday and try to make their and others lifes better theres lots of things going on here other than us being an arrogant nation (which I completely agree with), in many ways we are arrogant, whats wrong with alittle self-Importance as long as its not to much. We do have flaws though as every nation does and Im okay with that their is NO perfect nation or place to live in and EVERY place will be found out to have some flaw. Im quite sure of it.

Rest in peace Kyle <3
(#66 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-16-2009, 08:18 AM

Wow... I knew that foreigners often spoke badly of America, but Americans doing the same? That's a new one for me! I think it's pretty selfish to be honest.

USA is by far one of the best countries in the world, and people born into such a society are very lucky in many ways. If I was unfortunate enough to still be in Algeria, I'd do anything to go live in America. Fair enough that their government makes a load of huge mistakes, but which government doesn't? And I'm sure if any country had the same power as the US, their mistakes would be just as influential to the world as those of the US. This has (almost) nothing to do with its people.

For all those Americans that dislike their country, please swap places with my family members that are still in Algeria, living in the fear of terrorism, the uncertainty of running water and an unemployment rate with affects a whole household, not just the individual.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-16-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
For all those Americans that dislike their country, please swap places with my family members that are still in Algeria, living in the fear of terrorism, the uncertainty of running water and an unemployment rate with affects a whole household, not just the individual.
Thank you, Noodle. I think many Americans, sadly, don't know how lucky they are.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
minimin (Offline)
Reeta-Leena Korhola

Send a message via AIM to minimin Send a message via MSN to minimin
04-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Wow... I knew that foreigners often spoke badly of America, but Americans doing the same? That's a new one for me! I think it's pretty selfish to be honest.

USA is by far one of the best countries in the world, and people born into such a society are very lucky in many ways. If I was unfortunate enough to still be in Algeria, I'd do anything to go live in America. Fair enough that their government makes a load of huge mistakes, but which government doesn't? And I'm sure if any country had the same power as the US, their mistakes would be just as influential to the world as those of the US. This has (almost) nothing to do with its people.

I agree there because its not that I hate America I just with it was in a better place right now, I think I am quite luck to be here and not somewhere else as you have stated. I dislike the condition America is in right now, thats my problem but hopefully it will be fixed atleast within the yr or the next. I have some faith. I do still think America is a great nation. As said we have our problems but they will be fixed eventually. =)

Rest in peace Kyle <3
(#69 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-16-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
"I don't know how effective it would be". So therefore we shouldn't explore the possibilities? Come on.

I am curious as to why being pro-life would mean that stem-cell research wouldn't be feasible. Doesn't a woman's body "abort" an egg every month she isn't actively getting pregnant?
Don't twist the argument about abortion, When does it become abortion when the body, does something that is natural? BIG DIFFERENCE to add to that egg was not fertilized was It? Also I said "WE not I don't know how effective they are right now".

There is a reason why we shouldn't explore areas that destroy life. It's embryo stem-cells which IS a fertilized egg. Which means it's human life. So when did it become ethical to destroy one life to save another?

Taken from the Chicago breaking news written by Bruce Japsen

A stem cell treatment designed to regenerate the heart led to less discomfort and an "improved tolerance" for exercise in patients suffering severe heart disease and chest pain known as angina, a study announced today that is led by Northwestern University and sponsored by Baxter International Inc. shows.

Nearly 170 adult patients were studied for six months after having their own stem cells injected into their hearts. Although still early in research, researchers conducting the trial say the results are significant enough that research will continue into a critical final stage with a larger group of patients studied.

"The six-month, phase II data provide the first evidence that a patient's own stem cells could actually be used as a treatment for their heart disease," said Dr. Douglas Losordo, director of Northwestern University's Feinberg Cardiovascular Research Institute.

After a final phase, Deerfield-based Baxter would then decide, likely within the next five years, whether to submit the product to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for possible approval. The study presented today was announced in Orlando at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology.

Losordo has been working with Baxter on the process of using adult stem cells to create new blood vessels in the cardiovascular system. The study is designed to investigate whether injecting adult stem cells directly into the heart can help patients rebound from severe coronary artery disease.

The research involves use of Baxter's Isolex cell separation and selection system to extract stem cells from the many types of cells in bone marrow. The cells, once carefully isolated using the machine, are then injected directly into the heart via catheter in hopes of regenerating damaged areas that trigger heart failure.

Stem cells are building-block cells that are able to develop into many different types of specialized cells. They serve as a sort of repair system for the body, and theoretically can divide without limit to replenish other cells as long as the person or animal is alive.

Supporters of stem cell research believe blood vessels leading to the heart can be rebuilt and that damaged areas of the heart can be regenerated.

Still, industry analysts and researchers involved in the Northwestern and Baxter research say there is a long way to go. Losordo said the results presented today, "while encouraging, are not yet definitive and require verification in a larger study."

Taken from the Chicago tribune written by TOMOKO A. HOSAKA

TOKYO (AP) — A new team of U.S. and Japanese researchers is stepping up the global race to perfect a cutting-edge technology that could offer an alternative to embryonic stem cell research.

Kyoto University and iZumi Bio Inc., a biotechnology startup based in South San Francisco, California, announced this week that they would begin collaborating on "induced pluripotent" stem cell technology — a type of cellular reprogramming that turns the clock back on ordinary skin tissue.

Called "iPS" for short, the new technique tinkers with human skin cells so they behave like embryonic stem cells, which can potentially morph into things like heart and nerve cells, as well as lead to new therapies for currently incurable diseases.

Scientists around the world have embraced the technology recently, in large part because it does not entail getting the stem cells from embryos, a process considered controversial by some.

The latest partnership brings together two heavyweights in the field — and raises hopes that their work could lead to faster, better results.

Scientist Shinya Yamanaka at the Kyoto University lab led one of two teams who were the first to report generating human iPS cells in late 2007. iZumi Bio was founded in 2007 and is backed by venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers, which lists former Vice President Al Gore as one of its partners.

"The partnership between these two leading organizations is a critical step in furthering this research and turning stem cell research into therapeutic realities sooner," Gore said in a statement Tuesday.

The California firm says the researchers will initially focus on three neurological disorders — Parkinson's disease, spinal muscular atrophy and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis — a nerve affliction more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

But when the announcement was made last year about the skin cells' transformation into stem cells, the technique required disrupting the skin cells' DNA, which raises the cancer risk.

Experts said that made it unacceptable for creating transplant tissue that could theoretically be used to treat diseases like Parkinson's and spinal cord injuries.

To avoid such risks, other scientists have urged that work continue on other ways of getting stem cells, such as via cloning.

The technique also faces other hurdles before it can be used to treat humans safely.

Akemi Nakamura, a spokesman for Kyoto University's Center for iPS Cell Research and Application, said Wednesday that it would take time before the technology could be used to treat patients and the teams have not yet established specific development timelines.

Even if the technology were to progress to clinical studies, the Japanese government has yet to establish clear research guidelines, she said.

But such guidelines — and money — may well be in the works. Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso, who outlined last week a long-term strategy for Japanese growth, highlighted the country's leading position in stem cell research and pledged more government support in the coming years.

Taken from News-medical.net written by "doesn't say"

For the study, researchers from the Institute for Regenerative Medicine at Wake Forest University and Children's Hospital Boston found that amniotic cells in the laboratory can grow into all of the major types of cells, dividing at the rate of once every 36 hours. Researchers coaxed amniotic fluid stem cells to develop into brain cells and injected them into the skulls of mice with diseased brains. The stem cells replaced the diseased areas and appeared to create new connections with surrounding healthy neurons, the researchers reported. Researchers also coaxed amniotic fluid stem cells to become bone cells and implanted them in a mouse. The study found the stem cells calcified and turned into dense, healthy bone. The researchers also coaxed amniotic fluid stem cells to develop into muscle, fat, blood vessel and liver cells. Stem cells extracted from amniotic fluid can be isolated starting at 10 weeks' gestation from fluid taken during tests performed to identify birth defects, according to the study. The stem cells, even after more than two years in the laboratory, did not show signs of aging or of having the potential to grow into tumors, the study found. Amniotic stem cells can be frozen for later use, the Post reports.

According to the Post, amniotic fluid stem cells are "adding credence to an emerging consensus among experts that the popular distinction" between human embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells is "artificial" and that there is a "continuum of stem cell types" (Weiss, Washington Post, 1/8). Amniotic fluid stem cells are a "different kind of stem cell" that is "not as early as a human embryonic stem cell, and it's not as late as the adult stem cells," Anthony Atala, senior author of the study and director of the Institute for Regenerative Medicine at Wake Forest, said, adding, "So far, we've been successful with every cell type we've attempted to produce from these stem cells" (Kaplan, Los Angeles Times, 1/8). Atala said that if 100,000 women donated their amniotic stem cells to a cell bank, it would provide enough cells for "99% of the U.S. population with a perfect match for genetic transplantation" (Weise, USA Today, 1/8). He added that the stem cells can be found not only in amniotic fluid but also in the placenta, which is discarded after birth (Washington Post, 1/8). Richard Doerflinger, deputy director of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Secretariat for Pro-Life Activities, said that the study "is one in a line of studies showing very versatile stem cells can be obtained from a number of different products after live birth -- amniotic membrane, amniotic fluid, cord blood, placenta, even umbilical cord tissue," adding, "There is no reason why the amniotic fluid couldn't be obtained, raising no moral problem whatever" (Hall, San Francisco Chronicle, 11/8). Atala said it is unclear how many different cell types can be produced from amniotic stem cells, and researchers said that it will be several years before preliminary tests can be performed on patients, the AP/Houston Chronicle reports (Elias, AP/Houston Chronicle, 1/7). "[Amniotic fluid stem cells] can clearly generate a broad range of important cell types, but they may not do as many tricks as embryonic stem cells," Robert Lanza, head of scientific development for Advanced Cell Technology, said (Los Angeles Times, 1/8).

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Why the filibuster? I shouldn't have asked in the first place....my fault.

(But are you actually reading the quotes you are posting?)
Closed Thread