JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for your opinions guys..

I guess age generations differ somewhat...

Cheers - Oz
(#22 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-06-2009, 03:53 PM

To the OP, I've had similar experiences with Korean women.

I'm of Japanese descent and although I've had a few Korean girlfriends, I was never accepted into their families because of my bloodline - despite the fact that I was born in Canada.

One of my friends (who's also Japanese Canadian) had to travel to Korea and apologize on behalf of Japan (for their WW2 atrocities) to his fiancee's grandparents before they allowed him to marry their granddaughter. How ridiculous is that?!

Strangely enough, I know many Japanese girls who married a Korean and their families have no problem with that.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Reavyn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-06-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post

I'm of Japanese descent and although I've had a few Korean girlfriends, I was never accepted into their families because of my bloodline - despite the fact that I was born in Canada.

One of my friends (who's also Japanese Canadian) had to travel to Korea and apologize on behalf of Japan (for their WW2 atrocities) to his fiancee's grandparents before they allowed him to marry their granddaughter. How ridiculous is that?!

Strangely enough, I know many Japanese girls who married a Korean and their families have no problem with that.
I'm sure you are already aware of this, but some might not be.

Asian cultures a based heavily around ancestry. So much so that much later generation can be blamed for what their ancestors did. It is not at all uncommon for a family line never to succeed cause of the families bloodline being tainted by some unspeakable act.

I'm not quite sure if the ancestry if followed much more closely through males or females, or if it just happen to not really matter too much to that Korean family that the female wed into.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
05-07-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Alright. Then please read and reply on topic to my original post and let's leave North Korea out of it
Sure. As soon as you specify which korean in the first place ;D You only said Korea.
There are two ;D

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)

05-07-2009, 12:31 AM

Yes, some koreans are angry.
But really, the younger generation doesn't seem to care about the past - although they do seem competitive. Remember WBC from a few weeks ago? My friend was all up in arms when korea lost~! xD;
But in the entertainment industry, they seems to play...well, singer "ping pong." Look at BoA, DBSK, and SMAP?

Some older koreans I've met have given me dirty looks when I mentioned learning Japanese, but the younger generation just shrugs and says, "oh well."

There are problems, but that's with any country and their former rivals.
Not much we can do about it.

(#26 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post

Hi ST:

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I have loads of experience with Japanese friends, family and poeple from all walks of Japanese life and do feel I am used to and understand your culture well as I am often old by Japanese friends.

The Korea thing is new to me, but I am learning FAST

I have to agree what you are telling me in regrds to your friend sounds a little over the top though!

By the same token, I don't think it is a secret in regards to the attrocities the Japanese Military committed during world war 2.

I can most certainly understand and appreciate the feelings of any person who suffered and/or experienced these attrocities and I personally believe (Just my opinion) that the Japanese government should have clenched it's teeth by now and offered a formal apology to the Korean people.

Obviously, this needs to come from the government on paper with full recognition.

This would solve a long time problem for the victims, Japan and Korea then would hopefully move one step closer to establishing a full friendship with hopefully a no border system, similar to Australia and New Zealand.

Both are certainly great countries with plenty to offer each other and as we know, Korean and Japanese people thrive together.

I envy both Japanese and Korean ways and cultures and love you all

I find as an outsider white Australian that Japanese and Korean people have VERY strong minds and are very much determined people and want to believe in themselves with full pride.

A good thing for sure. If the barrier of the wartime history could be forgiven and remembered, then hopelly one day, Korean and Japanese people could open fully to each other and all be brother's and sisters

I also actually think that Korean minds are much stronger than Japanese..

I am surrounded by Japanese and Korean students daily in Cairns Queensland and we all share friendships..

It's difficult to walk down the road here and NOT see Japanese and Korean friends together..

As for my son, I may be thinking to much, afterall, he is also an Aussie and has the best of bothe worlds, Sushi and Beef

Hope all this makes sense and I guess it''s just driving me nuts how Korean and Japanese have this constant barrier, although I think it's just a small constant hinderance in it's current form...

Cheers - Oz
(#27 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Because you're careless enough to be cared by someone.

How about a life advice to the OP instead of saying "one country sucks and the other don't"?
Well said..

I am now going to sit down and have some of this yummy seaweed soup (forget the korean name) and home made Kim Chi compliments of my gourgeous partner who left and is currently on her way to Seoul today.

She has a slight health hitch, will see a doc whilst home, hopefully it will all be safe and sound and I will have her back on June 9

Cheers - Oz
(#28 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Sure. As soon as you specify which korean in the first place ;D You only said Korea.
There are two ;D
Democratic Replic of Korea located in the South

Cheers - Oz

Last edited by ozkai : 05-07-2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: See Above!!
(#29 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 02:26 AM

Democratic Republic Of Korea located in the South

Cheers - Oz
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)

05-07-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Democratic Replic of Korea located in the South
Hey, no need to roll your eyes. You're an adult. They DID reply, but you didn't specify that you weren't looking for comments about North Korea as well.