LinkBack Thread Tools
(#181 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblegach View Post
Well that word, Im mad they think its right to change the "er" to an "a" making the word "Nigga" Call it completeley different word and use it... Its still the same word, has the same meaning. I myself dont approve of racial slur of any type. I have never seriously used a racial offense against anyone, and ive seen people do it. It burns a little. There are better, less offensive words out there that people can use, why dont they go look for em and try em.
Because it's easier for them to stick with what they know. :/

LOVE: pass it on
(#182 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
"Hispanic" is another word that isn't politically correct because of the implications of colonization. To say that a Puerto Rican is "Hispanic" is wrong, because Spain does not own or control Puerto Rico.
No Puerto Rican I've met has ever objected to being called hispanic.

Quote:
In the mean time, though, I'm talking about the negative effects of slavery on today's black society. If you have read the article and fully understood what it said, and you still believe that slavery is an excuse, then I'm not sure I have anything further to say to you. It's just a matter of different mindsets - perhaps even stubbornness - and to me, there's not much point in going back and forth over the issue.
Fine. That article was an opinion, one I don't agree with.
(#183 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
No Puerto Rican I've met has ever objected to being called hispanic.

Fine. That article was an opinion, one I don't agree with. Can you please answer MMM's question?
Every Puerto Rican I've met had objected to being called Hispanic. Every single one. And I live next to Puerto Rico, so believe me - I've met quite a few.

What was MMM's question?

(#184 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:

"Hispanic" is another word that isn't politically correct because of the implications of colonization. To say that a Puerto Rican is "Hispanic" is wrong, because Spain does not own or control Puerto Rico.
Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico) is a term that historically denoted a relationship to the ancient Hispania (geographically coinciding with the Iberian Peninsula). During the modern era, it took on a more limited meaning, relating to the contemporary nation of Spain.

Still more recently, the term is used to describe the culture and people of countries formerly ruled by Spain, usually with a majority of the population having some ancestry of Spanish origin and speaking the Spanish language. These include Mexico, the majority of the Central and South American countries, and most of the Greater Antilles. There are also Spanish influences in the African nation of Equatorial Guinea,[1] and the cultures of the former Spanish East Indies - the Philippines, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands.[2]
This would include Puerto Rico, named by the Spanish as in the people from Spain
Even when proven wrong you refuse to admit it. The worst part is you will never admit to yourself that your thinking is wrong. You will go through life feeling inferior (no matter what you say we all here know this is why you go bring up these racial issues), and justifying to yourself that you and all other black people are treated poorly by all other races. Enjoy your life and the world you live in.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#185 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Every Puerto Rican I've met had objected to being called Hispanic. Every single one. And I live next to Puerto Rico, so believe me - I've met quite a few.
Being Hispanic myself, I would certainly prefer that to the instant label of Mexican.

Quote:
What was MMM's question?
I apologize, you already answered it by the time I posted.
(#186 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico) is a term that historically denoted a relationship to the ancient Hispania (geographically coinciding with the Iberian Peninsula). During the modern era, it took on a more limited meaning, relating to the contemporary nation of Spain.

Still more recently, the term is used to describe the culture and people of countries formerly ruled by Spain, usually with a majority of the population having some ancestry of Spanish origin and speaking the Spanish language. These include Mexico, the majority of the Central and South American countries, and most of the Greater Antilles. There are also Spanish influences in the African nation of Equatorial Guinea,[1] and the cultures of the former Spanish East Indies - the Philippines, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands.[2]
This would include Puerto Rico, named by the Spanish as in the people from Spain
Even when proven wrong you refuse to admit it. The worst part is you will never admit to yourself that your thinking is wrong. You will go through life feeling inferior (no matter what you say we all here know this is why you go bring up these racial issues), and justifying to yourself that you and all other black people are treated poorly by all other races. Enjoy your life and the world you live in.
Hispanic: “We never use Hispanic,” says Sen. “It privileges the European roots of the identity of Mexicans born in the United States.” Hispanic, however, is the preferred term of people in the Southwest whose families are descendents of Spanish colonists.

Latino: (Capital “L,” with “a” or “o” at the end used to connote gender.) Politically correct term for those from Spanish or Portuguese speaking cultures. “We use it instead of Hispanic when we want to refer to many different national groups where there has been an indigenous-European mix,” says Sen.

A Politically Correct Lexicon -- In These Times

(#187 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Being Hispanic myself, I would certainly prefer that to the instant label of Mexican.

I apologize, you already answered it by the time I posted.
No problem. It's kind of hard to keep these things straight on a thread like this.

(#188 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
08-14-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hispanic: “We never use Hispanic,” says Sen. “It privileges the European roots of the identity of Mexicans born in the United States.” Hispanic, however, is the preferred term of people in the Southwest whose families are descendents of Spanish colonists.

Latino: (Capital “L,” with “a” or “o” at the end used to connote gender.) Politically correct term for those from Spanish or Portuguese speaking cultures. “We use it instead of Hispanic when we want to refer to many different national groups where there has been an indigenous-European mix,” says Sen.

A Politically Correct Lexicon -- In These Times
Just to let you know. You just proved him right...as for what he said under what you bolded.
(#189 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Did you know if you call a Hispanic New Mexican (from the state of New Mexico) a Mexican-American they get pissed off to the point of wanting to fight? They want to be called Spanish. Funny how some people think.

(#190 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
Just to let you know. You just proved him right...as for what he said under what you bolded.
She'll die before she admits that.

Closed Thread