LinkBack Thread Tools
(#301 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think it is probably more ignorance than actual racism, and the image has its roots in imagery that was acceptable many decades ago, but not today. Unfortunately Japan doesn't always keep up with proper etiquette in American race relations, and gaffes like this occur.

Were the games producers intending to show discrimination against blacks with this game? I highly doubt it, so calling it "racist" seems a little over the top. Ignorant? Absolutely.

I think there needs to be some intention for it to be labeled "racist" and I don't see the intention, even if I do see the ignorance.
To me, the idea of racism has been borrowed. Therefore, it's racist.

Remember the hypothetical situation I gave earlier? The child I described didn't know that it was wrong to believe that people of other races were inferior. The child doesn't have the intention of causing others pain. That's simply what the child believes: that it's a fact that others are inferior. That's all.

Now, look at the picture. The Japanese don't know that it's wrong to produce an image such as that. They don't have the intention of causing others pain. They simply believe that it's acceptable to use a picture blackface. That's all.

Both situations, to me, are still racist.

LOVE: pass it on
(#302 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato289 View Post
I 100% agree with you. Just because we think we cant stop something, doesnt mean we have to stop trying. These are our believes and we have the right to give our opinions, even if people dont like it. I know i posted immature comments before in other threads. Im not really good at giving my opinions and im sorry . these arguments are helping me learn more, and become a better person
That's good. It's important to learn more and challenge oneself. I also learned a lot from these forums, actually - not to get too upset by others, and to ignore childish comments.

(#303 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-15-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I would love to believe you, but I don't. It's simply something that all people suffer from. We store information easily in our subconscious. We may not be aware of it, but there is internalized racism.
Believe what you will. Only I know the truth about my self.

Quote:
I can only apologize, because that's the only way I can respond to negativity. I'd rather not get into an unpleasant argument. I'd rather apologize or ignore, and if I were to ignore, I'd risk insulting people - for they would think that I was ignoring their points.
You just ignored the WHOLE QUOTE that I took from my last post WHICH YOU ASKED FOR ME TO ASK AGAIN.

Why is it so god damn hard to read an argument that proves yours wrong, and come up with an argument?

Stop apologizing, and bloody answer arguments put against you.

Quote:
Please, read a few pages back at the comments such as "you're an idiot" with no other point attached to those opinions. That's not a debate. That's a flame.
Fair point, missed those.

He is an idiot though.

Quote:
No, I don't understand what a joke is when it comes to images of blackface, because I simply don't see anything funny about it.
Have no fear. I shall laugh for both of us.

Ha. Ha.

You know. So far, in life, this is the first time in life that my brain hurt from being pissed off. Congratulations.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#304 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
so you want to erase a word [hispanic] that has been around since roman times?
When it's used to inappropriately describe various groups of people, then yes.

(#305 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

You just ignored the WHOLE QUOTE that I took from my last post WHICH YOU ASKED FOR ME TO ASK AGAIN.

I'm still not sure what you're referring to. Maybe if you list out your points clearly for me to see, I'll be able to see exactly what you want me to acknowledge, and I'll be able to respond to those points more easily.

(#306 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-15-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I'm still not sure what you're referring to. Maybe if you list out your points clearly for me to see, I'll be able to see exactly what you want me to acknowledge, and I'll be able to respond to those points more easily.
I quoted a WHOLE PART of my original post. Scroll up, and look at the post!

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#307 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-15-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
To me, the idea of racism has been borrowed. Therefore, it's racist.

Remember the hypothetical situation I gave earlier? The child I described didn't know that it was wrong to believe that people of other races were inferior. The child doesn't have the intention of causing others pain. That's simply what the child believes: that it's a fact that others are inferior. That's all.

Now, look at the picture. The Japanese don't know that it's wrong to produce an image such as that. They don't have the intention of causing others pain. They simply believe that it's acceptable to use a picture blackface. That's all.

Both situations, to me, are still racist.
A necessary part of racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. The child in your hypothetical believes that one race is superior to others, so when that child says things to diminish other races, it is racism.

But this case is a little different. Knowing the history of "lil' sambo" imagery in Japan I think it is safe to say that the game programmers do NOT believe one race is superior to others through the use of this character. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it ignorant? Yes. In America is "lil' sambo" imagery taboo? Totally.

But Japan isn't America, and just because we see that image as derogatory to blacks in modern today, doesn't mean every person in the world does, and it doesn't mean they are racist.

Again, there is no racist intention, which is a fundamental part of calling something "racist". (A word that I think is thrown around much too loosely lately.)
(#308 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

08-15-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
When it's used to inappropriately describe various groups of people, then yes.
then its not the word that is un-pc, it's the tone?

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#309 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:50 AM

Salvanas: I don't think that we can stop racism. Definitely not any time soon, anyway. That doesn't mean that we should sit back and let it happen, though. Spread education. Learn. Make the change you want to see. It's hard to stop racism, but it's not hard to say to your friends, "I heard that the word 'caucasian' is racist. Here's why," or, "I heard that the word 'Hispanic' isn't PC. Here's why."

Why do we need to use words to describe people? Why can't we all be people? Why can't I be a short person with curly hair and a red shirt rather than the black girl?

With each racial term comes stereotypes. Those are best to be avoided.

MMM: Yet they're using an image that portrays the idea that one race is superior to the other. The child was ignorant of the fact that he/she had racist ideals. The Japanese that used this image are ignorant of the fact that portrays one race as superior to the other. Both still use racist ideas, whether they're aware of it or not.

(#310 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
then its not the word that is un-pc, it's the tone?
No, when it's used to describe groups of people who are not actually Hispanic, then it isn't PC.

Hispanic: “We never use Hispanic,” says Sen. “It privileges the European roots of the identity of Mexicans born in the United States.” Hispanic, however, is the preferred term of people in the Southwest whose families are descendents of Spanish colonists.

Latino: (Capital “L,” with “a” or “o” at the end used to connote gender.) Politically correct term for those from Spanish or Portuguese speaking cultures. “We use it instead of Hispanic when we want to refer to many different national groups where there has been an indigenous-European mix,” says Sen.

A Politically Correct Lexicon -- In These Times

Closed Thread