Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

OMG IT HAS BLACK BORDERS.

RACIST!
Maybe you don't know the history or implications of blackface. It's okay, you don't have to know every little thing about American history. Here's some information if you would like to know what blackface is, though:

The Blackface Stereotype

And some images, so that you can see what blackface is:

http://souljonz.files.wordpress.com/...face_nocap.jpg
http://www.jlcauvin.com/wordpress/wp...ackface-1b.jpg

LOVE: pass it on
(#292 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-15-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Similarly, though more slowly, “slut,” “whore” and “c**t” are being reappropriated. “The young people use those terms all the time teasingly and sometimes to even refer to themselves,” says Hill. “It is more common to hear someone say ‘I am a slut’ than ‘I am a whore.’ ” “C**t” is gaining currency among some young lesbians, though Baim says it is a word that gets stuck in her throat. “While it is a reclaimed word, it is one I can hardly say, the same way some older blacks have trouble saying the n-word.”

I love the reclaiming. It's like fan girls claiming J-rockers.

Fag (faggot): The new “queer.” “Like the n-word, it’s a word that can be said by gay people,” says Hill. “I hear ‘fag’ a great deal, especially among queer-identified young people, like ‘don’t be such a fag’ or ‘you are such a fag.’ “

It's wonderful to see young gay people cutting themselves on sexual lines down much in the same way young blacks do on racial lines.

Girl: “‘Girl’ is used by older women,” says Baim. “It is kind of nice because it used to be used derogatorily and now it is used in a fun way.”

I missed that one. When was "girl" a derogatory term?

Guys: Very controversial. Used, especially in the Midwest, when referring to a group of people. “In Chicago that word gets used a lot,” says Hill. And Baim says, “I use it all of the time.” Some feminists, like Andi Zeisler, the editor of Bitch, find “guys” problematic. “We assume the descriptor ‘guys’ denotes a quality of universality,” she says. “It would be hard to imagine a group of men being addressed by their server as ‘hey you gals’ and not taking offense, but the reverse happens all the time.”

"Guys" is a "very controversial word? Again, news to me.

This is great reading. Thanks Mercedesjin. It's nice to see there are people in academia with this kind of time on their hands. I used to think I was PC, but now I see the PC of the 90s I subscribed to is practically racist, and I must sound like a Klansman the way I talk.

You guys should really read it.

OOPS!
great finding

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#293 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

08-15-2009, 01:11 AM

thing is, you can't stop racism, because anything can be used against each other. I'm don't condone racism of any sort but, if you look at the histories of different languages, [otherwise known as lexicography,] the meanings of words change.

here's something to lighten the mood

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#294 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-15-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post

Is this racist?
YES. Those lips are over exaggerated.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#295 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-15-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
No, I never said that you make racist comments. I said that you suffer from internalized racism - as we all do - and that we all make racist judgments at one time or another. Unless you were raised in a utopia without any media or cultural influence, you inevitably suffer from internalized racism. That's something we agree on. That's all I said.
Again. I don't make racial judgements in any way. I can read people's micro expressions and body language. I don't need racism to tell me what a person is feeling. I judge people, and what they're going to do, by their micro expressions and their body language.

Quote:
I'm sorry that you feel that Zagato is immature. I haven't noticed any immaturity from him. I actually noticed maturity from him. Even while seeing the flamers, he was brave enough to disagree with them and stand by his point.
I beg of you. Stop apologising. It's killing me. The best way to irk me, is to apologise for MY opinions.

No one was flaming. People was giving their opinions. It's a debate.

Quote:
I'm sorry that you think I ignored your main points. Please type them out again for me clearly, maybe even in a list, so I can be sure to know what you want me to address.
Quote:

Thing is, trying to get rid of racism, is not going to work. You have the change people, not the words. If you want to get rid of weeds, you have to pull the roots out.

Let's say the racial slurs are gotten rid of. What then?

Peace?

Nah. People will just make up new ones.

Also, if you get rid of ways to identify a group, how will you explain them to people? You can't.

Or, you'll make up new ones, and then people will just use THOSE VERY ONES and use them as racial terms.

It's futile.

"He's black kid."
"He's a f***ing black person."

"He's Caucasian kid."
"He's a f***ing Caucasian person."

"He's a Nigger."
"He's a f***ing Nigger."

"He's a Turk."
"He's a f***ing Turk."

The last two, I can understand if you want to get rid of them. But the top is fully dependant on how the person says it. Which you keep on failing to understand.
----------

Quote:
Maybe you don't know the history or implications of blackface. It's okay, you don't have to know every little thing about American history. Here's some information if you would like to know what blackface is, though:

The Blackface Stereotype

And some images, so that you can see what blackface is:

http://souljonz.files.wordpress.com/...face_nocap.jpg
http://www.jlcauvin.com/wordpress/wp...ackface-1b.jpg
Maybe you don't know the history or implications of a joke. It's okay, you don't need to know everything about general knowledge. Here's some information if you would like to know what a joke is, though:

Joke Definition | Definition of Joke at Dictionary.com
Witty Definition | Definition of Witty at Dictionary.com

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#296 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
thing is, you can't stop racism, because anything can be used against each other. I'm don't condone racism of any sort but, if you look at the histories of different languages, [otherwise known as lexicography,] the meanings of words change.
I don't think that we can stop racism. Definitely not any time soon, anyway. That doesn't mean that we should sit back and let it happen, though. Spread education. Learn. Make the change you want to see. It's hard to stop racism, but it's not hard to say to your friends, "I heard that the word 'caucasian' is racist. Here's why," or, "I heard that the word 'Hispanic' isn't PC. Here's why."

(#297 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

08-15-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
I don't think that we can stop racism. Definitely not any time soon, anyway. That doesn't mean that we should sit back and let it happen, though. Spread education. Learn. Make the change you want to see. It's hard to stop racism, but it's not hard to say to your friends, "I heard that the word 'caucasian' is racist. Here's why," or, "I heard that the word 'Hispanic' isn't PC. Here's why."
so you want to erase a word [hispanic] that has been around since roman times?

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#298 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:

Again. I don't make racial judgements in any way. I can read people's micro expressions and body language. I don't need racism to tell me what a person is feeling. I judge people, and what they're going to do, by their micro expressions and their body language.

I beg of you. Stop apologising. It's killing me. The best way to irk me, is to apologise for MY opinions.

No one was flaming. People was giving their opinions. It's a debate.

Maybe you don't know the history or implications of a joke. It's okay, you don't need to know everything about general knowledge. Here's some information if you would like to know what a joke is, though:

Joke Definition | Definition of Joke at Dictionary.com
Witty Definition | Definition of Witty at Dictionary.com
I would love to believe you, but I don't. It's simply something that all people suffer from. We store information easily in our subconscious. We may not be aware of it, but there is internalized racism.

I can only apologize, because that's the only way I can respond to negativity. I'd rather not get into an unpleasant argument. I'd rather apologize or ignore, and if I were to ignore, I'd risk insulting people - for they would think that I was ignoring their points.

Please, read a few pages back at the comments such as "you're an idiot" with no other point attached to those opinions. That's not a debate. That's a flame.

No, I don't understand what a joke is when it comes to images of blackface, because I simply don't see anything funny about it.

(#299 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-15-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post

Is this racist?
I think it is probably more ignorance than actual racism, and the image has its roots in imagery that was acceptable many decades ago, but not today. Unfortunately Japan doesn't always keep up with proper etiquette in American race relations, and gaffes like this occur.

Were the games producers intending to show discrimination against blacks with this game? I highly doubt it, so calling it "racist" seems a little over the top. Ignorant? Absolutely.

I think there needs to be some intention for it to be labeled "racist" and I don't see the intention, even if I do see the ignorance.
(#300 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-15-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I 100% agree with you. Just because we think we cant stop something, doesnt mean we have to stop trying. These are our believes and we have the right to give our opinions, even if people dont like it. I know i posted immature comments before in other threads. Im not really good at giving my opinions and im sorry . these arguments are helping me learn more, and become a better person

--Jaka

Closed Thread