LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-04-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minminRW View Post
Wise people will find which is right from the past posts.
True. It's better than being too rude constantly from beginning to eternity.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-04-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I'm rude? You're the one who dismissed me as unqualified and have taken my arguments personally. Furthermore you're the one who implied I was a racist. I put it down to your English skills at first but it seems your English is not the problem, it's your perspective.

Indiscretion? You're the one who doesn't understand the difference between Western countries. You think all Western countries are the same and work together to control the world. How stupid.

Dogmatic? My belief that commercial interest should never be trusted when the environment or people's lives are threatened is a reasonable one and is well founded if you consider other examples. (The logging of rainforests in South America, or the oil companies in Angola who essentially funded the civil war there.)

This is my last advice to you... you should learn how to have an open and direct discussion without being offended. Furthermore you should learn how to discuss things within rational parameters.
I'm self representing in family court here..

I could definitely take you on board if you fancy a break to the tropics with free accommodation?

I can also offer you a paid baby sitting day job occassionally

Cheers - Oz
(#63 (permalink))
Old
mercyseverity (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2009, 08:41 PM

I hope this discussion hasn't gotten out of hand.

One thing that really surprises me about these pro-whaling nations like Norway and Japan is how adamant they are about keeping up with the tradition even though whale meat is not really all that popular anymore. Why fight so hard for it if and go through all the trouble it isn't even all that special?
Whats worse is the shockingly high pollution levels of some species. which I think is the kicker. As I said before from what I've seen is that whale meat is marketed as being very healthy in Japan. You could compare that to some fish where they usually say the health benefits out way the mercury levels, but its not public knowledge at all that whale can be potentially hazardous in Japan. Its horrible that the government is hiding this or at least not making the knowledge available. The only reason I can think of is greed. Even putting consumers at risk will not stop them from killing whales and dolphins.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

09-05-2009, 05:56 AM

Is killing whales and dolphins bothersome becuase of sentimental value? I suspect much of the horror at the practice is due to how many western folks see whales and dolphins. I mean hey, they are killing Flipper and stuff right?

One has to remember that dolphins aren't seen as "Flipper" in Japan. You have to look at it from thier perspective, it's like they are just hunting basic food animals and westerners are throwing a fit over it. I'm sure they feel the same way about Western actions over this the way I would if a Hindu was getting into my face about my Quarter pounder with cheese..
(#65 (permalink))
Old
minminRW (Offline)
JF Regular

09-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyseverity View Post
I hope this discussion hasn't gotten out of hand.
If you think so, you should have joined the past discussions.

>Why fight so hard
Likewise I wonder why anti-whaling people fight so hard to force others unreasoningly. It is quite natural for the people to get angry who are deprived food, occupation or culture suddenly for incredible reason.
In Japan there were many fisherfolk, whale restaurant or so. Most of them had bankrupted. If you think that is natural, you cannot reach the answer.
Nowadays I have not eat whale for many years and do not need to eat, but I just cannot accept such an unfair thing.

Anyway you had better not use words like "greed". Though I think Seashephard or Greenpeace are greedier than pro-whaling activists of Japan or Norway because they act for donation that includes money from livestock breeder, I will not use these kind of words in discussion.

As for mercury, no one conceals the fact. Japanese government warns for pregnant not to take tuna or whale meat excessively. They have most accurate information because of research whaling.

Last edited by minminRW : 09-05-2009 at 02:47 PM.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
kMal (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to kMal
09-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minminRW View Post
Likewise I wonder why anti-whaling people fight so hard to force others unreasoningly. It is quite natural for the people to get angry who are deprived food, occupation or culture suddenly for incredible reason.
In Japan there were many fisherfolk, whale restaurant or so. Most of them had bankrupted. If you think that is natural, you cannot reach the answer.
Nowadays I have not eat whale for many years and do not need to eat, but I just cannot accept such an unfair thing.
I think it would be unnatural for human beings who can reason and think logically, to ignore the fact that whales are in danger and they will stay that way if they don't stop doing what they are doing: WHALING!
What is less important? The eradication of an entire animal species or that a few people have less to spend (and other humans can help them out)?

music reflects the soul of the man
(#67 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

09-06-2009, 02:19 AM

That's just a matter of proper resource management. Here's a question, if they manage whales in such a way that they can be hunted while thier numbers still increase, would you still be anti whaleing?
(#68 (permalink))
Old
kMal (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to kMal
09-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
That's just a matter of proper resource management. Here's a question, if they manage whales in such a way that they can be hunted while thier numbers still increase, would you still be anti whaleing?
No I would not. That would be a more responsible way of whaling (and thinking).

music reflects the soul of the man
(#69 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I'm self representing in family court here..

I could definitely take you on board if you fancy a break to the tropics with free accommodation?

I can also offer you a paid baby sitting day job occassionally
Wow.. I'm flattered by the offer but I must decline.

I'm busy with my studies though at the moment.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
mercyseverity (Offline)
New to JF

09-06-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Yes I would be satisfied as well. At the moment I'm not sure about Japans quotas. 830 minke whales/year doesn't seem like a lot but if every whaling nation killed that many a year I think that would definitely be unsustainable, and it would be right back to full blown commercial whaling. They also kill 5 fin whales/year which is a species that is still at 1% of it original population numbers.

Quote:
Is killing whales and dolphins bothersome becuase of sentimental value?
Sure of course that is part of it for many people. I was not born yet when flipper first aired and never watched the show. Part of it is I think is that anyone from any culture should have some restraint over destroying nature. I also think its wrong to eat any animal that once had a name it was called by it family members (look up "signature whistle") These animals are just too much like humans. They have families, play for fun and go through menopause like people. These fishermen seem to want to be so naive to that, and they think they are just like other fish. They do not even differentiate between the dolphin species.

Also, The people who are employed by whaling only do so for part of the year, they are probably fishermen as well. I do not think they would be unemployed if they stopped whaling. They could supplement whaling for Whale watching maybe? which would not require any new training or equipment. The sister city of Taiji in Broome, Australia offered to help the men who hunt dolphins to find other means of Income.
That's like what they have been doing in Canada to end the Seal hunt which sadly still goes on and being Canadian I am not proud of one bit.