(#11 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
You don't want to start a thread about it... yet you're willing to put such a controversial statement?

I'll be honest... I am sceptical of such a statement to the point where I think it's bullsh*t off the bat.

I'm not sure if you'll reply to this... you not wanting to talk about it and all... but I want to talk about it because you brought it up.
It's such a deep subject that the discussion would be huge, long, heated, and tiring. So by saying that I was trying to lay out some tracks such that we not derail from them. Of course leave it to someone to try Plus I think there's enough truth behind the statement that it's not "controversial".

If you want, go ahead and start a thread. Do you even live in Japan? Have you spent any time studying modern sociological issues or Japanese anthropology with accredited and highly published professors? Have you seen the literal sh*t TON of evidence pointing to Japanese guys becoming, on the large, more feminine (which would be a culturally imperialistic statement considering the ideas of masculinity differ from the West to the East but it's long since crossed the point of cultural differences and has even started garnering the attention of the media)?

I mean, if you REALLY wanna get into it, go nuts. On another thread.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
It's such a deep subject that the discussion would be huge, long, heated, and tiring. So by saying that I was trying to lay out some tracks such that we not derail from them. Of course leave it to someone to try Plus I think there's enough truth behind the statement that it's not "controversial".

If you want, go ahead and start a thread. Do you even live in Japan? Have you spent any time studying modern sociological issues or Japanese anthropology with accredited and highly published professors? Have you seen the literal sh*t TON of evidence pointing to Japanese guys becoming, on the large, more feminine (which would be a culturally imperialistic statement considering the ideas of masculinity differ from the West to the East but it's long since crossed the point of cultural differences and has even started garnering the attention of the media)?

I mean, if you REALLY wanna get into it, go nuts. On another thread.
First of all.. I'm not interested in who you think supports your statement.

I'm interested in the reasoning behind it.

Second of all... I'll talk about it on this thread because you brought it up on this thread.

I'll start with the most obvious question...

If Japanese men are supposedly becoming feminised... and it's supposedly a problem... then why do the majority of Japanese women date Japanese men?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
If Japanese men are supposedly becoming feminised... and it's supposedly a problem... then why do the majority of Japanese women date Japanese men?
Statistics? Because only 1% of the population aren't Japanese and if you spent all your time hanging around for one of them (a further large percentage of which aren't going to be suitable) you're going to end up single for a looong time. Language barrier? Parental objection? Find foreign men scary or creepy? Or simply that they don't have enough money or prospects of earning well in Japan if they're not western foreign? It's got nothing to do with how women in Japan consider men to be manly or not, it's just logical. Also people create relationships with those closest to them, in literal proximity or socially. People date those who live in the same town, or go to the same school, or work in the same office. Rich people tend to marry rich people, Christians don't tend to marry Hindus. If you are a Japanese woman in a Japanese town at a Japanese speaking university, chances are the men in your immediate vicinity are Japanese. Sure you may fancy the lone foreign student there, but he can only date so many women. The majority will go elsewhere.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Statistics? Because only 1% of the population aren't Japanese and if you spent all your time hanging around for one of them (a further large percentage of which aren't going to be suitable) you're going to end up single for a looong time. Language barrier? Parental objection? Find foreign men scary or creepy? Or simply that they don't have enough money or prospects of earning well in Japan if they're not western foreign? It's got nothing to do with how women in Japan consider men to be manly or not, it's just logical. Also people create relationships with those closest to them, in literal proximity or socially. People date those who live in the same town, or go to the same school, or work in the same office. Rich people tend to marry rich people, Christians don't tend to marry Hindus. If you are a Japanese woman in a Japanese town at a Japanese speaking university, chances are the men in your immediate vicinity are Japanese. Sure you may fancy the lone foreign student there, but he can only date so many women. The majority will go elsewhere.
Why are you telling me this?

GTJ said it was a social problem... obviously it's not otherwise Japanese women wouldn't be dating ANYONE.

Furthermore... I have a problem with what you're implying...

Are you implying that Japanese men are inferior to Western men?

Such attitudes really piss me off and are racist and ethnocentric as well as sexist to a degree.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-15-2009, 03:39 PM

[quote=Ronin4hire;771372]Why are you telling me this?[quote]

Because you asked?

Quote:
GTJ said it was a social problem... obviously it's not otherwise Japanese women wouldn't be dating ANYONE.
I said it was a social problem, not a rule that applies completely to every male on Japanese soil.

Quote:
Furthermore... I have a problem with what you're implying...

Are you implying that Japanese men are inferior to Western men?

Such attitudes really piss me off and are racist and ethnocentric as well as sexist to a degree.
Are you serious?

Is this guy serious?

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Are you serious?

Is this guy serious?
He's just trying to start a flame war so he can declare himself the winner regardless of truth. That's all. It's his operating procedure.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Because you asked
It wasn't an answer to what I was asking

Quote:
I said it was a social problem, not a rule that applies completely to every male on Japanese soil.
Explain how it's a social problem then? I'm all ears...

Quote:
Are you serious?

Is this guy serious?
I am serious.

I asked why if it's such a social problem that Japanese women still date Japanese men (as opposed to nobody)

Columbine responded that the reason was because of statistics... that they have no other choice. What I was meaning to ask (notice how there was a question mark there) was whether he was implying that if they did have a broader choice, that they would choose foreigners. As I understood his post as being in defence of your position (perhaps mistakenly.. but he can let me know if that's the case) then I don't think what I asked was unreasonable.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 09-15-2009 at 03:58 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-15-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
He's just trying to start a flame war so he can declare himself the winner regardless of truth. That's all. It's his operating procedure.
An attempt to diffuse rational discussion via character assassination because of some grudge that you can't get over seems to be your operating procedure.

Seriously dude.. I hardly ever interact with you so please stop with all the sniping from the sidelines.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

09-15-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Japanese men are inferior to Western men?
In terms of size...

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
In terms of size...
This is not about size. Read the thread.