Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Interview with Micheal Mann on his "tricked" E-mails:
Link:
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Quoted from the CNN Interview:
"Scientist and Mathematicians often use the word "Trick" in the sense of a clever approach to solving a problem. ... In order to understand the longer term data it needs to be put in the context of the more recent data so that the relative warmth today can be compared to the relative warmth in the past. And so the trick was simply presenting theses two data sets together so that they could be compared to each other."

CNN fails to mention the use of the word "HIDE" the decline.

Does anyone buy this? I never learned the usage of the word trick at University or in my professional career. Talk about SPIN. Why doesn't he just say... "you non-scientific people just don't understand our terminology"

Does anyone remember the coming of the Ice Age in the 1970's? Go to the Smithsonian and look for a display NOW behind smoked glass that has charted the cooling of our globe over the last 60 million years. The curve had 2 steep dips followed by some leveling. There were not any significant warming periods.

If we are in a global warming crisis today, even the most aggressive and costly proposals for limiting industrial carbon dioxide emissions would have a negligible effect on global climate:

Link:
Global Warming:A Chilling Perspective

Maybe this is the route we should go:

Link:
'We must all stop washing to save the planet' • The Register

NOOO ... NOT MY COFFEE or BATHES!!!!!

Greedy greedy human beings we are.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2009, 07:26 PM

More c&p. You ppl sold yet or wut?!
(#123 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Things seemed to have gotten a little quiet since Copenhagen started.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
Interview with Micheal Mann on his "tricked" E-mails:
Link:
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Quoted from the CNN Interview:
"Scientist and Mathematicians often use the word "Trick" in the sense of a clever approach to solving a problem. ... In order to understand the longer term data it needs to be put in the context of the more recent data so that the relative warmth today can be compared to the relative warmth in the past. And so the trick was simply presenting theses two data sets together so that they could be compared to each other."

CNN fails to mention the use of the word "HIDE" the decline.

Does anyone buy this? I never learned the usage of the word trick at University or in my professional career. Talk about SPIN. Why doesn't he just say... "you non-scientific people just don't understand our terminology"
I have heard the word trick used in this way many times before. I wouldn't say it is common, but it isnt out of the ordinary. Haven't you heard the phrase "______ will do the trick".

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#125 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
I have heard the word trick used in this way many times before. I wouldn't say it is common, but it isnt out of the ordinary. Haven't you heard the phrase "______ will do the trick".
"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (i. e. from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

In the context of the E-mail CNN questioned, this is clearly not the context "trick" or "hide the decline" was used.

But the details are not just in the E-mails themselves, but in the fortran code where literals/static variables where used in place of dynamic variables. I.e. forcing the program .. making variable X to always be the outcome they desired.

Last edited by clintjm : 12-08-2009 at 08:08 PM.
(#126 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (i. e. from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

In the context of the E-mail CNN questioned, this is clearly not the context "trick" or "hide the decline" was used.

But the details are not just in the E-mails themselves, but in the fortran code where literals/static variables where used in place of dynamic variables. I.e. forcing the program .. making variable X to always be the outcome they desired.
LOL!
(#127 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

'Climate-Gate' - 12-09-2009, 10:06 PM

The mainstream media has, for the most part, completely ignored this recent development – these revealing emails between scientists whose funding depends on ‘man-made’ global warming. When the media does discuss it, they say something like:

“Global Warming Skeptics Deny Global Warming”

See, this approach is meant to mislead people. The mainstream media, just like the scientists involved in this cover-up, have a great deal of money tied up in the ‘man-made’ global warming. Just look at all of the advertising dollars that are behind all the ‘Go Green’ commercials that dominate the airwaves. It seems like every other commercial chants this omnipresent mantra. So, why would the media, which has it’s long arms shoved deeply into the pockets of the global warming cult, expose their cash cow – their sacred cow?

They wouldn’t.

The truth is, no one is denying climate change (previously known as global warming, before the warming trail went cold), but many, many, many people, scientists even, are questioning the idea that this phenomenon is caused by man. The very word "Climate" refers to constant change in weather and atmospheric temperature.

Nowadays people tend to think of humanity as some sort of a parasite on an otherwise beautiful planet. This camp of environmentalists supports that people are the problem. They propose that carbon dioxide, the very substance we exhale when we breathe, the same substance that the plant life of this planet requires to grow, the stuff that comes from fire, is actually causing our planet to get so hot that the ice at the poles will melt, causing the earth to be flooded, destroying humanity.

Obviously, there’s an irony here that can only be the result of good fiction. Our life-breath itself is killing us?

Next they're going to tell us that Dinosaurs caused the ice age with their flatulence!
(#128 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-10-2009, 05:40 AM

As it has been spoken, so it shall be done. Away with your science! We gots opinionz!
(#129 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
As it has been spoken, so it shall be done. Away with your science! We gots opinionz!
Are you bored?
(#130 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Nowadays people tend to think of humanity as some sort of a parasite on an otherwise beautiful planet.
Explain how it isn't?

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…