Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
12-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
No. I'm not kidding.

Is bandwidth really affected by having 2 or more years worth of posts as some forums on JF already do? I'm a little lost on the bandwidth issue / limit you write of. The question to more as "is there a disk space issue"

Sure there are threads that need to be deleted that are off forum topic, but as I wrote, just because the threads are inactive or the subject is duplicated shouldn't void them for deletion as they may contain content valuable to some seeking such information.

I thought the J-music rules were a bit over the top and gray for the reasons in my original post. "How famous is the artists" is cherry picking of one individual post for deletion.

In this case, why even have a search engine if your only going to have 3 weeks of threads.
The duplicated threads are unnecessary because there are two of them. I understand what you're saying with having valuable information, and which thread is deleted should be taken into consideration based on such information. Inactive threads are no longer useful because they are not being used. These threads only take up space, nothing else. As soon as new member's here start using the search, I'm sure the mods would be glad to know, although they probably won't believe you.

"How famous is the artists", is a bit cherry picky, but it's really going back to being inactive. If only the OP knows who the artist is, it's not any good of a thread. But if they artist is famous and is known by the majority of the members, it's likely to be a better thread. It's really just going back to the inactivity of threads.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
The duplicated threads are unnecessary because there are two of them. I understand what you're saying with having valuable information, and which thread is deleted should be taken into consideration based on such information. Inactive threads are no longer useful because they are not being used. These threads only take up space, nothing else. As soon as new member's here start using the search, I'm sure the mods would be glad to know, although they probably won't believe you.

"How famous is the artists", is a bit cherry picky, but it's really going back to being inactive. If only the OP knows who the artist is, it's not any good of a thread. But if they artist is famous and is known by the majority of the members, it's likely to be a better thread. It's really just going back to the inactivity of threads.
I don't think your getting what my whining is about. Why is an inactive thread only taking up space? Why wouldn't anyone ever reference that thread again if it has more than the initial post in it. There might be an answer to something someone is inquiring about.

Duplicates, yes to an extent. I would think a thread about an artists went on for a couple of pages back in 2007 and a new thread on the same subject started in Oct. 2009 would would be fine. The 2007 one had valid information and discussion that can be referenced, the 2009 is also valid because it prevent people from resurrecting a dead thread. At the same time you don't want more than 1 *active* thread on the same subject. Maybe have the forum lock a thread after so long of being inactive, but don't delete.

Perhaps our definition of an inactive thread is different. I'm thinking of an inactive thread that has *some* on topic replies, but hasn't been posted on for some period of time.

Wouldn't someone want to get some insights on how a particular artists was seen by the users of this forum at an earlier date, or just information about the artists in general.

I didn't realize that artists had to had a certain popularity level or be known by the mod before being posted on the forum. If its on the topic of J-music forum, popularity shouldn't be a factor.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-11-2009, 08:06 PM

I think the intention is not to erase band threads but more like "What was the name of this song?" and threads that have only a short-term usage.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
sushidushi (Offline)
JF Regular

12-11-2009, 09:24 PM

I'm with the consensus here, I think. Mods have to stick to the letter of any rules, which themselves have to be sensible (as are those on JF) to ensure that they are not being seen as favouring any individual or group of people. There is always going to be a grey area where it is simply a matter of interpretation, but I hope that the mods are able to explain to people why they consider it necessary to moderate or delete any posts they consider to be against the rules of the forum. That said, I understand pressures on their time, of course.

I also agree that there is no point in moderators (on any forum) making too much fuss about what they do, unless there is a general security issue or some such thing. I can't think what that might be, but there might be, for example, a scam going on where the moderators have to warn the naive against divulging their personal details or something.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Honestly, if bandwidth is such a problem, then all the threads that involve Korean/German/American/ anybody and everybody who has nothing to do with Japanese music should be deleted. Those threads take up more space, and are make no sense when the title of that particular forum is called Japanese music.

If you think it's necessary to cater to people who enjoy bands that have nothing to do with Japan, you should have a forum dedicated to non Japanese music, because as it is now, those groups/bands/people are polluting the JAPANESE music forum much more so than threads that have been inactive.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

12-11-2009, 10:00 PM

The threads about groups/singers from other countries are not "polluting" the forum.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#27 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Are you kidding me? You write about the expectation's of forum moderators as if they were Cardinalate, you seem to have (in the word's of the Joker) "some misplaced sense of self-righteousness"... Wait.. I get it now, you think of yourself as Batman (The Dark Knight) and JF is your Gotham City.. right? Therefore, in your mind.. the level of which you hold your status is justified.. your just making Gotham City (Japan Forum) a better place. If you (Batman) weren't here, it would be chaos..

Well in light of this epiphany I think I should thank you, in fact I think we should all thank you.. There should be a Kanji_The_wanderer (Batman) appreciation thread.

lol, ridiculous.
This is an over-reaction if I've ever seen one. There is no "sense of misplaced righteousness" at all in Kanji's post. Mods DO have a certain amount of power and a wrong group of mods can royally mess up a forum.

A Mod is simply someone that enforces the rules... All this talk about gaining respect through communication, participation and friendliness etc with users is all extra. The simple fact that someone takes their time to enforce rules is enough for me to give them their respect. I don't walk down the street and respect only the policemen that have a chat with me. The simple fact that the police exist and do their job is enough for me to respect the whole police force. Before someone says it, this however, doesn't immunise them from the possibility of losing my respect. Break a rule, or abuse your power, and I won't respect you or your work!
(#28 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

12-11-2009, 10:39 PM

a moderator is like an officer of a forum, thats my POV. They have limited priviledges but with that they also have a huge responsibility. If you fail to uphold your responsibility well, you're a bad moderator...

p.s: Hi, jfers =)

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#29 (permalink))
Old
TheCrimson (Offline)
Träumst du?

12-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
I basically agree with MMM. Most of the things I fix up in the music section go unnoticed - I could simply refer to the scene we had a while back, where NO ONE gave the right mods the props for their work. I'd say a good mod can keep order, good friends and still be respected among members on here.

iPhantom has a good point too, and I'd love for the circumstances to be like he mentioned. Sadly the admins abandoned the site so far and left the mods in charge of everything. That basically forces us to rewrite rules, make sure that people who need to be banned are banned and so on.

mhm. this here is an excellent mod. doing her job well and also keeping good friends and still be respected among members here 8) three gold stars to my lady Nan

i just really came to add my 1 cent.
P.S Sal, good thread 8)

Last edited by TheCrimson : 12-11-2009 at 10:51 PM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
orewasenshi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to orewasenshi Send a message via MSN to orewasenshi
12-11-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavifan View Post
The threads about groups/singers from other countries are not "polluting" the forum.

I kindly disagree with this. No offense to you, or to do this in spite of you.

I really think that the Japanese Music section should really only be from Asia, not just from Japan. All the other singers/groups from other countries shouldn't be on here, they just cause more spam and stuff on the Music forum.

Honestly, if you want to talk about artists from other countries besides Asia, I'd rather people go to the JF chat room that we have, which can be found in Misa's signature. It's not that hard to fix.