JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

02-14-2010, 01:32 AM

Well there's two angles.

One, if parents are to let their kids watch TV alone, then they should be sure to inform their child that TV is not the real world. It's really as simple as that.

Secondly... In all honesty I would rather the media define stereotypes to give others preconcieved ideas about who I am based on my actions, because TV also enforces the idea that people are very different than what their appearances tell you. This happens more and more each day. It's a much better alternative to the whole "fear anything different" method of thinking prior to cable tv.

Then there's the hidden 3rd angle! TV's chains have been broken by the contradictions gifted to us by the internet.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-14-2010, 01:35 AM

Within social groups, there are norms that you tend to "follow" to be accepted. (Personal experience - don't really want to start a generalization fest)
Lemme give you an example of my towns stereotypical "gangsta" group: They walk like if they were lame; They talk in a wicked monosilibal way; they either dress full yellow, full red or full blue -whatever- Nike clothes; Etc.

Within their social group, the "gangsta", it's not only perfectly acceptable to act and dress that way, but to encourage others to follow that tendency aswell. Anything that's not inside their "social group sphere", they either find it unacceptable or are totally oblivious to it.

Lets assume some "heavy-metal dude" passes nearby that "gangsta" group, and they spot him - what will be their reaction? (Talking about the "gangstas" from my town)

Gangsta Eagle: "Dude R ya'diggin it?"
Gangsta Wolf: "Ya' man look at that boots ya' kno what im sayin' bro so fuck*** faggish."

Obviously, for them, according to their "normality rules", that "heavy-metal dude" is unacceptable - they mock him.

In resume, some people tend to mock what's out of "normality". Anything that does not follow the "norms" is a mockery subject. If the media is responsible for that? Probably. But not entirely.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 02-14-2010 at 01:41 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

02-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Within social groups, there are norms that you tend to "follow" to be accepted. (Personal experience - don't really want to start a generalization fest)
Lemme give you an example of my towns stereotypical "gangsta" group: They walk like if they were lame; They talk in a wicked monosilibal way; they either dress full yellow, full red or full blue -whatever- Nike clothes; Etc.

Within their social group, the "gangsta", its not only perfectly acceptable to act and dress that way, but to encourage others to follow that tendency aswell. Anything that's not inside their "social group sphere", they either find it unacceptable or are totally oblivious to it.

Lets assume some "heavy-metal dude" passes nearby that "gangsta" group, and they spot him - what will be their reaction? (Talking about the "gangstas" of my town)

Gangsta Eagle: "Dude R ya'diggin it?"
Gangsta Wolf: "Ya' man look at that boots ya' kno what im sayin' bro so fuck*** faggish."

Obviously, for them, according to their "normality rules", that "heavy-metal dude" is unacceptable - they mock him.

In resume, some people tend to mock what's out of "normality". Anything that does not follow the "norms" is a mockery subject. If the media is responsible for that? Probably. But not entirely.
I wouldn't say that the media is responsible for it. I would say that the media does a nice job with supplying us with the paint, so to say. It's been human nature for quite some time now to divide our society into different groups. We love to categorize things, people are no exception.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

Exclamation 02-14-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
I wouldn't say that the media is responsible for it. I would say that the media does a nice job with supplying us with the paint, so to say. It's been human nature for quite some time now to divide our society into different groups. We love to categorize things, people are no exception.
Well put.

But well, if difference exists, difference exists. (If ya' kno what am sayin' bro)

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-14-2010, 01:46 AM

You bring up a good point, Tyrian. In this day and age, there are so many avenues of entertainment, one can create his or her own entertainment.

This makes for a different world then a couple decades ago. When there were only a handful of TV channels everyone would watch the same shows, so there was a sort of mutual media understanding.

Now if I am, say a golf fan, I can literally fill my media entertainment with nothing but golf-related programming. I could watch the Golf Channel, cruise gold forums, play golf games on my consoles or computer, etc.

Although few people would define themselves that simply or program their entertainment that narrowly, those options are there.

The point is, I don't have to watch any show or media that I don't agree with. I can always find media that will support my beliefs and ignore media that does not.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-14-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
But I am trying to think of shows where the lesson is, if you meet someone different, then "OUTCAST THEM!!"

Certainly there are shows there characters are outcast, but those characters doing the outcasting are usually presented in a negative light.
Oh, missed that. Well, in that case, same here. I can't think of a show or series that's given off that impression.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

02-14-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You bring up a good point, Tyrian. In this day and age, there are so many avenues of entertainment, one can create his or her own entertainment.

This makes for a different world then a couple decades ago. When there were only a handful of TV channels everyone would watch the same shows, so there was a sort of mutual media understanding.

Now if I am, say a golf fan, I can literally fill my media entertainment with nothing but golf-related programming. I could watch the Golf Channel, cruise gold forums, play golf games on my consoles or computer, etc.

Although few people would define themselves that simply or program their entertainment that narrowly, those options are there.

The point is, I don't have to watch any show or media that I don't agree with. I can always find media that will support my beliefs and ignore media that does not.
This is why the FCC is obsolete. It was originally founded to monitory "decency" across the radio airwaves. That was when there were only a handful of radio stations. The argument was that there wasn't a lot of choice in programming. Now one is free to change the channel if he or she does not like what is shown.

I feel like too many people have too much of an interest in what they do not like, rather than what they do like :/

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
(#18 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-14-2010, 02:52 AM

Ummm . . .Were you serious about that retarded comment? That's sad . . .

YuGiOh 5Ds made a good example when they isolated Aki or "Black Rose" because she had bad rumors goin' around, which were sorta true butbecause of these rumors people knew she was different and I'm no psycology expert but apparently, In that show they said that people seem to hate and outcast what they don't understand, Do you think that's true?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-14-2010, 02:59 AM

As I said,all I can really say is . . .That's a sign of very poor character, making such a broad statement . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
minimin (Offline)
Reeta-Leena Korhola

Send a message via AIM to minimin Send a message via MSN to minimin
02-14-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Yes, very serious.
I'm inclined to agree aswell.

Rest in peace Kyle <3