JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2011, 07:11 AM

I guess I'd fall slightly in the arrogant category by some of the standards here. I don't really get the "gaijin nod" that I've heard of and experienced. I'm just not into it. Same goes for a random Japanese guy though, if I get a random nod at a random moment, chances are I won't acknowledge it. If I'm approached at a more appropriate moment, then I might have a conversation.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some very interesting conversations, but the ones that I've had (which were incidentally mostly unavoidable) left something more to be desired. As a matter of fact, one man that I got stuck into a World War I trench-like conversation with gave me a lecture not too unlike the "Does anyone else notice these things about Japanese women" thread. Except I had the pleasure of listening to his nonsense with my then fiance (now wife) next to me.

Here's typically how it goes:
Him: "and they do this.... and don't you hate it when... have you ever had ... doesn't it make you want to throw up?"
Me: "Yea... uh huh... ya, right... ummm ok, ya."
Him: "you know Japanese TV, have you ever noticed that..." "... is so fucking expensive" "you know how every time they..."
Me: (5 minutes later) "I've gotta go man" (approximately 20 steps ahead of you for the rest of this tour). "Have a good one, maybe I'll see you again" (the next time I'm on a trip 200 miles away from my home and you just happen to be there).
Him: "Yea, let's grab a beer or something next time"
Me: "Yea, for sure- catch you later bra" (If I should be so unfortunate)

I don't think they're enjoying the conversation either though. At any rate, I've had good experiences too but those were the exceptions and wouldn't be as entertaining to talk about. I think I've just had a few too many sour grapes to keep on pickin' though.

As for the OP, I don't really agree with his views on things, but he obviously brings up some interesting if not controversial topics.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Sitron is barely more than a troll - particularly in this thread - so first reflex was to roll my eyes and delete the thing... But since it has gone into a lengthy discussion I`ll add my bit.

When it comes to encountering other foreigners, I don`t really care unless they are doing something that I do not want to be associated with.

If I am on the train and another non-Asian foreigner hops on, my internal response is more like "Oh, hey, another foreigner. I wonder what type... (ie. Tourist? Teacher? Student? Long-termer? Rich business expat? Married to Japanese?)"
But, let us say that an obvious teacher hops on with two or three high school girl students, starts talking big and loud in English, and then clumsily tries to "jokingly" feel one of them up... I can do little but look down and pray that no one associates me with them.
Same with the tourists who will hop on, talk loudly, look like idiots, and treat the train (and Japan in general) as a playground.

I would feel the same way about these people even if they weren`t foreigners, but there wouldn`t be any particular worry of being associated with them due to appearance. But when it`s another foreigner doing something awful, someone who hops on to the train next is likely to figure we`re all together - especially if they sit close to me.

I have had experiences at large tourist sites where there have been non-Asian foreigners acting like idiots, doing stupid crap, being a total nuisance, etc. I`ve seen a group of drunk 20-something English teachers play "splash everyone!" with the purifying water at shrines - I`ve also seen foreigners complain and ignore signs and directions to take their shoes off going into temples, saying loudly to eachother "What are they gonna do? They`re all littler than us anyway! Harharhar!"
It all makes me cringe and really hope that these people`s actions don`t make people think ALL foreigners are like this.

I kind of get a kick out of helping people, so if I spot lost tourists in stations I will go out of my way to say hello and ask if they are having trouble navigating, etc. But normally I just mind my own business. I don`t think I`ve ever randomly said hello to anyone just because they were not Japanese.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I kind of get a kick out of helping people, so if I spot lost tourists in stations I will go out of my way to say hello and ask if they are having trouble navigating, etc. But normally I just mind my own business. I don`t think I`ve ever randomly said hello to anyone just because they were not Japanese.
You are a better person than me for sure. Unless I saw a really worried look on someone's face I don't think I could go out of my way to say hello to someone in case they needed help. If asked, I'll do my part... but that's about it.

By the way, it sounds like you've had some terrifying experiences Nyororin! I'd imagine that some of that behavior stems from the "Jackass" mentality. For the record, I do (or did back when I was a little younger) enjoy Jackass quite a bit... but I couldn't handle that stuff in real life. I wonder if the average foreigner who does that stuff in Japan would have the guts to pull those kinds of stunts in their home countries?
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
You are a better person than me for sure. Unless I saw a really worried look on someone's face I don't think I could go out of my way to say hello to someone in case they needed help. If asked, I'll do my part... but that's about it.
I am talking families/groups with maps pulled out, squinting at the station boards, looking around desperately, one of them with a guidebook - mumbling things about having no clue where they are... Possibly with added looks of desperation searching for help from someone, anyone. That level of obvious lostness. If they just look vaguely confused, I`m not going to say anything.

Quote:
By the way, it sounds like you've had some terrifying experiences Nyororin!
Not all that many, really, when you consider that I`ve been here for more than 10 years... But commonly enough that I sort of cringe and wait for it when I see that kind of group.

Quote:
I wonder if the average foreigner who does that stuff in Japan would have the guts to pull those kinds of stunts in their home countries?
Who knows. Most likely not. I think that with a lot of the eikaiwa-"teacher" groups, there is an attitude of Japan being a playground, and of there being "gaijin-power". They seem to get a kick out of people cringing at their behavior, and the fact that no one will step up to stop them. Not to mention that no matter what they do, they can just "go home" and not ever think of it again.
Combine this with the power of a group, and you get a lot of people who would be decent alone and out of that situation who act like complete and total idiots.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Most of the foreigners who live up this way I know at least pretty well. In the area there are about 250 of us living here year round. Do I like all of them? Nope I don't but I'll always give a nod or a wave whenever I see them. Many I would consider my friends and when we meet we always stop and have a chat about how things are going. There's a pretty close group of about 30 of us who regularly get together for numerous social activities. In summer we spend a number of weekends away camping either on the coast or one of the nearby lakes. We have rugby and football teams and many people get together for bike riding and there's a weekly poker night. It all goes on hold for the few months of winter when we're all busy as hell with winter guests at the ski resort although a big group get together for a darts night once a week and we try and get out now and again and have a ski together.

When I'm in Kutchan and see some tourists I'm always happy to lend a hand if they need directions or advice. I love this region, I love promoting it and I really love helping others to enjoy it as much as I do. It's one of the great things about my job here. I get to assist people in having what is for many the greatest ski holiday they've ever had. It's great to be a part of that.

We do get a few tourists each winter who take having a good time a little too far and there has been the occassional fight or two in bars at ski village but overall most people just have a good time without causing any trouble.

I never came to Japan to lose myself in it's culture or to be the only gaijin in the village! I'm very happy to live around and meet other foreigners.

Last edited by GoNative : 02-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I did, a few times. Where and when I was living in Japan there were very few foreigners. The small town I lived in had no hotels, because there were no tourist sites to see there, it was a place you pass through to get somewhere else. Anyway, a fellow JET and I were on the last train coming back from Osaka when we were shocked to see another foreign get off the train with us! He looked somewhat lost and distraught, so we asked him if we could help. It turnout out he had gotten on the wrong train, and there were no more trains heading back to Osaka until the morning. The other JET offered to let him stay at his apartment overnight, since the only other choice was sleeping in the train station, and it was a cold night. He was very grateful.

Another time, I was traveling in Kyushu by myself at Christmas time and felling kind of sad and lonely to not spend the holidays with anyone. I was in Nagasaki when I saw a fellow foreigner, so I struck up a conversation with him. Turned out he was an English teacher teaching in Korea, and had come to Japan for a vacation. We decided to hang out for the next couple days since our itinerary was nearly identical. It was good to have someone to talk to in English and help relieve the loneliness of my first Christmas in Japan by myself.

I don't get the "I want to be the only foreigner in Japan" concept. For me, living there long term in a small town and not speaking any of the language when I arrived (and only picking up simple q&a over my 2 years there), I was always very happy to talk with people in English.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Jenthepen (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I am going to Tokyo this summer, and instead of being miserable and lonely I want to spend time with a Japanese woman that know how to treat and respect a man. I also don't try to look Japanese in anyway.

So what? Are you saying that someone wearing Japanese style clothing is trying to 'be' Japanese.

That would mean that Japanese who learn English and wear English style clothing are trying to be westerners? How far up your ass is your head.

How about not try to chase *****, women don't respect men unless men respect them. In no way is trying to hunt down a girl ahead of time for your own pleasure respect.

Your nothing but a self hating gaijin.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenthepen View Post
So what? Are you saying that someone wearing Japanese style clothing is trying to 'be' Japanese.

That would mean that Japanese who learn English and wear English style clothing are trying to be westerners? How far up your ass is your head.

How about not try to chase *****, women don't respect men unless men respect them. In no way is trying to hunt down a girl ahead of time for your own pleasure respect.

Your nothing but a self hating gaijin.
And a sex maniac who fantasize Japanese women for all the wrong reasons....
(#49 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

hardly - 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
And a sex maniac who fantasize Japanese women for all the wrong reasons....
No. Just a plain troll.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
02-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Sitron is barely more than a troll - particularly in this thread - so first reflex was to roll my eyes and delete the thing... But since it has gone into a lengthy discussion I`ll add my bit.

When it comes to encountering other foreigners, I don`t really care unless they are doing something that I do not want to be associated with.

If I am on the train and another non-Asian foreigner hops on, my internal response is more like "Oh, hey, another foreigner. I wonder what type... (ie. Tourist? Teacher? Student? Long-termer? Rich business expat? Married to Japanese?)"
But, let us say that an obvious teacher hops on with two or three high school girl students, starts talking big and loud in English, and then clumsily tries to "jokingly" feel one of them up... I can do little but look down and pray that no one associates me with them.....
I love that description of the teacher. Perhaps a minor goal for myself, minus the big, loud English. I agree, however, with all of your points

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)