JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-06-2011, 08:59 AM

That's true for sure, and I agree, but there are still parts of it that remain.
It certainly IS a lot easier for the average white dude to get laid in Japan than it is back at home.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-06-2011, 09:06 AM

realJames. i know the feeling - being embarrassed by fellow man.
for example, now when i travel i make up my home countries. i don't tell them from where i am. and it is because if i did (next to Russia) then they assume - oh he is a russian. the thing is russians (not all) are one of the most unpleasant tourists - they often are aholes and now i am getting thrown with them in a bag.
so i lie and you can see how people attitude changes...
(#33 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
02-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I am going to Tokyo this summer, and instead of being miserable and lonely I want to spend time with a Japanese woman that know how to treat and respect a man. I also don't try to look Japanese in anyway.
Maybe you'll learn some respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I share what I guess is a similar attitude as most of the other foreigners living in Japan. I don't really mind other foreigners in Japan (hey, I'm one myself), but when they do fuck up or break the rules or act like idiots and disrespect the culture, then I do have a problem because the Japanese will associate that kind of behavior with the rest of us.
An excellent point well made. I'll +1 this point

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#34 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I share what I guess is a similar attitude as most of the other foreigners living in Japan. I don't really mind other foreigners in Japan (hey, I'm one myself), but when they do fuck up or break the rules or act like idiots and disrespect the culture, then I do have a problem because the Japanese will associate that kind of behavior with the rest of us.
yeah i agree with this point too, but somehow i wish they would not put us all in the same category all the time. Were not all white,were not all just American or just European, I just can't imagine why they would think we would all act the same.

Check out my VBlog to Japan Fall 2010- Spring 2011...The adventure HAS ALREADY STARTED CHECK IT OUT!http://www.youtube.com/user/mousee09
(#35 (permalink))
Old
DeTrooper (Offline)
New to JF

02-06-2011, 03:37 PM

I think the persons which hate other foreigners should just stop to be arrogant.

If they are breking the rules or are asshole like, they have just no manner.
And to dislike such foreigners is Ok for me.

Watching down on other`s is wrong even if you are more skilled.

If think all of you know the phrase "life long learning"

I didn`t visit Japan yet, but want to do i in the future.

As a American, you should be aware, that your whole civilisation is based on foreigners.

About Europe, each european country has a unique culture.

each person on this world is unique, has a unique thinking and living style.

We only got different Basics for our way.
Thats the culture of our countries and nations.

I`m from Germany and I´m proud that I`m.
I`m not Blond, have no blue eyes.
I respect other cultures and persons, still I hate some guyes from other nations which count as germans, which don`t feel for themselve as germans.
And which do hate germans... So why they are here? Probably for work or the social stability.

@ Sitron, if you go on dating sites your are trying to force a relationship with a japanese women, before you even their.

Why not try first to get your ass up in Japan, learning about the culture and meeting a japanese girl their.

As a foreigner hating other foreigners is like being a american Neo Nazi...
Hating bad mannered other persons has nothing to do with being a foreigner.
being proud of your skill means not to look down on others.

Each of us should know the word freedom...

And why the hell you all saying all the time that stuff about white guys???
Are the Japanese not white too...

The discussion itself is interesting... but i think you flame each other too much.

Seeking advice is one thing, but you could still choose if you take the advice or not.

I think it is a bit sad... reading each time complete Threads and see the discussion turning in circles.

If someone looks down on women, you could say it once, if you think it is not correct.

It is for the womens to decide, if they want to be his girlfriend or not.

So keep cool guys don`t flame each other and think what you could yourself do to make that world a better place.

Could you pls stop that posting the sentences from other oersons with only the words that you agree, it makes it harder to follow a discussion.

I learned in a few discussions, that each person should know all the opinions which will be discussed to make the own mind up.

So if something is said once, each person got the chance, to read it and built up an opinion.

as long as that Thread is not a poll it is not necesarry... but i think it would make the things easier.

Sorry for the excursion...
Back to Topic

I`m just a guy from Germany, with the dream to learn more about Japan and to visit it in the future.

Cause I`m from Germany, be not to hard to me if my english is not the best.
Even got bad marks in school
but always trying to get better since I`m out.

Last edited by DeTrooper : 02-06-2011 at 03:39 PM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-06-2011, 04:42 PM

I told myself I wouldn't do this, but based on the number of replies, I thought there might be some substance to this thread. So here's my two pesetas worth....

On my most recent trip to Japan, I found myself in front of the golden pagoda of Kinkaku-ji, photographing it from across the pond like everyone else does, both tourist and native alike.

I noticed couples taking individual photos of their significant other and then exchanging the camera with their partner for their turn. They would then walk away and continue their tour of the place. I thought to myself it was a sad thing they didn't have one of both of them in front of the pagoda.

I heard a younger Spanish couple in their late 20s doing the same thing. When one is Spanish-born and has been away from Spain for as long as I have, the accent is unmistakable and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I decided to approach them and kindly ask them if they wanted a photo of both of them shot with their camera, of course. They were happy to hear another Spaniard speak and were glad and thankful I offered, so they posed and I took some to their satisfaction.

What I hadn't realized was that this hadn't gone unnoticed and all of a sudden, couples started approaching me with their cameras held out so they can get a photo themselves. I could tell by their language they were Chinese, Thai, Korean, Italian, from everywhere. They posed and I shot. We exchanged pleasantries and smiles and they thanked me for the next half hour or so. I was delighted to offer.

I caught up later on with the Spanish couple I first met and they filled me in on their trip, how they were there to see the Formula One race in Suzuka but the flight from Ibiza to Madrid was delayed so they missed their Emirates flight to Dubai and had to get a later flight and they missed the race altogether. (I was thinking I'm fortunate to have a non-stop flight to Tokyo available twice a day) We also talked about the exchange rate and how many Spaniards I saw in Tokyo and wondered if the rate was favorable for Europeans, etc. It was small talk, but I could tell they were glad to be able to speak to someone in their native tongue. It was pleasant for me as well.

On a sidenote, I was walking along Inokashira Park in Mitaka on Sports Day, a national holiday, when I ran into the same problem: fathers taking photos of their families without they themselves being in them. I offered to take photos of the whole families and they were so happy I was thrilled to help out. It felt really good to do.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is; gaijin will always be gaijin. You can be born in Japan, live there all your life and you'll still be a gaijin. There's no hiding it, so there's no point in trying. If you're carrying a camera and have a back-pack, chances are you are a tourist. But tourist or not, you're still a gaijin. Well, this eigojin doesn't mind running into others. Do I act surprised and go out of my way to acknowledge them? Of course not. Am I offended they're occupying the same real estate as I am? Why should I be? After all, we are there to have a good time and enjoy the culture and sights. I don't go asking them for directions because they probably don't know much themselves and I don't need to ask anyone but locals for directions-that's where Koban come in handy. (A few phrases in Japanese and you can get by)

The only difference I may have with local gaijin is in the dress code. I may dress a bit more comfortably than is expected there, but that's for personal comfort. And no, I don't wear any t-shirts with vivid colors and slogans. I wear khaki or jean shorts and polo shirts. Even when it was still warm and in the 80s, I didn't see any locals wearing anything short. Yeah, I stick out like a sore thumb, but I don't care. As long as I don't disrespect anyone with the way I dress, I know I'm going to be labeled a tourist. I am polite and try to follow all the customs of which I am aware. I speak to locals in as much Japanese as I can and thank them for their help. (when I do ask for directions)

When I do run into other gaijin, I definitely don't go out of my way to avoid them, but I don't make it obvious I'm aware they are there either. They are just another part of the landscape and you deal with it. When you do run into more than normal, in obvious touristy places, sometimes they talk to you and ask you where you're from. It would be rude not to answer, so I do and exchange small talk for a bit and move on....

I'm in my mid to late forties and all that little nonsense about running into others like you in a foreign land is somewhat insignificant to me. I'm not a loud, obnoxious foreigner who paints a bad picture of their homeland to others, so I really don't give it much thought....

Well, two pesetas turned into two hundred. I apologize for the long speech....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 02-06-2011 at 06:35 PM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

02-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Makes me wonder who is more stupid? OP, who has a brain with a size of a flea's turd or every one here who give him advices thinking that he listens to them.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

02-06-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Makes me wonder who is more stupid? OP, who has a brain with a size of a flea's turd or every one here who give him advices thinking that he listens to them.
Was that really necessary? We all know who the OP is and his antics. Sometimes the discussion does have some merit....
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

02-07-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Was that really necessary?
Yes. In fact I encourage others to give their "honest" opinions about the OP instead of answering his oh so very fascinating questions that turn all hopes for curing mental retardation into scientists wet dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
We all know who the OP is and his antics.
And yet you keep on playing his charades.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

02-07-2011, 06:43 AM

More than Likely the Op's anger is innward more than outward. The idea of other "foreigner's" infuriate's him, because it's a remider of who he really is, a Foreigner.

Personally, I would like to visit Japan, simply cause it seem like a interesting place to visist. Course so does Scottland and China. However, I'm happy being American and certainly don't plan to move anywhere else.