Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post reactors - 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
This is what Japanese TV and newspaper never tell us NY Times Advertisement

and the newest information, core of the 2nd reactor is starting to melt
I'd like to see a more detailed photo of exploded Block # 3. Yet they didn't show it. Why?
(#452 (permalink))
Old
KuwaiiAva (Offline)
New to JF

03-14-2011, 12:53 PM

I am glad support is being given. We all can give support...I am glad I was able to donate something. I hope it helps at least one person. Japan is strong and gets through.
(#453 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant - 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Damaged Blocks #1 and # 3 (upper right)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t1main_powerplant.jpg (25.2 KB, 59 views)
(#454 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

03-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Self defensive force has saved 9,700 lives so far. Go self defensive force! You guys are the real hero of Japan!
Not to sound cheesy here but...

What you said is true, such people are definetly heroes. I believe that also, anybody who's strugling in Japan right now, anybody who felt these quakes or tsunamis and is still moving forward wth hope for the future, I believe they are all heroes and inspirations too. I pray that such a future filled with happiness, joy and peace comes to Japan, Haiti, New Zeland, Chile, China, Taiwan ,and all other places who have been struck like this.

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.

Last edited by manganimefan227 : 03-14-2011 at 03:14 PM.
(#455 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
This is what Japanese TV and newspaper never tell us NY Times Advertisement

and the newest information, core of the 2nd reactor is starting to melt
One thing you need to understand about the western media tipsy is that they are excited as hell about what has happened in Japan and are working themselves into a frenzy over spreading fear as this is how they sell papers and keep their ratings up. The more dramatic they can keep things the better and the truth in the end means little. I can't tell you how many times already I have seen totally inaccurate reports from western media about what has happened here. Don't trust all you see in the western media. And that goes for some of the major ones like CNN and BBC. I have seen just today them reporting totally wrong data on a supposed earthquake in Nagano which never actually happened. I'd be trusting more what you hear in the media here than I would from most of these foreign news outlets many of which base their stories on little more than speculation and love nothing more than to sensationalise everything to increase their sales.
(#456 (permalink))
Old
Shaelyn (Offline)
Fae of DOOM!

Send a message via AIM to Shaelyn
03-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This is an incredible, and I mean INCREDIBLE video that really gives you the experience of a tsunami in real time.

It is six minutes long, and I recommend watching it all with no fast forward. Mind blowing.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
that is just amazing. in five minutes, the water had reached the top of the buildings. the whole time I was thinking "what are you still standing there for? I think those cars floating towards you is a cue to GET OUT! ...I think those buildings floating away is a cue to GET OUT!"

I'm very sad about what the people of Japan have been through, and the long road ahead of them.

I wish I could do something, I really do. I hate this idea of just throwing money at a problem and hoping it goes away. but there's nothing else I can do...is there?

~hugs Japan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
One thing you need to understand about the western media tipsy is that they are excited as hell about what has happened in Japan and are working themselves into a frenzy over spreading fear as this is how they sell papers and keep their ratings up. The more dramatic they can keep things the better and the truth in the end means little. I can't tell you how many times already I have seen totally inaccurate reports from western media about what has happened here. Don't trust all you see in the western media. And that goes for some of the major ones like CNN and BBC. I have seen just today them reporting totally wrong data on a supposed earthquake in Nagano which never actually happened. I'd be trusting more what you hear in the media here than I would from most of these foreign news outlets many of which base their stories on little more than speculation and love nothing more than to sensationalise everything to increase their sales.
I thought a couple of people here felt Nagano shake on Friday. the information I'm looking at - which comes from the USGS government website - show a 6.2 and a 5.5 aftershock there on Friday.
or is this a new one they're talking about?

thnx boboloko for the sig!

Last edited by Shaelyn : 03-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.
(#457 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-14-2011, 03:46 PM

They were reporting today 'breaking news' of an M6 quake in Nagano. It never happend...not in Nagano at least. There were a few M6 quakes today off Fukushima and Ibaraki.
(#458 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post western media - 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
What do you think about quotes from the mentioned NY Times article :

Christopher D. Wilson, a reactor operator and later a manager at Exelon’s Oyster Creek plant, near Toms River, N.J., said, “normally you would just re-establish electricity supply, from the on-site diesel generator or a portable one.” Portable generators have been brought into Fukushima, he said.

Fukushima was designed by General Electric, as Oyster Creek was around the same time, and the two plants are similar. The problem, he said, was that the hookup is done through electric switching equipment that is in a basement room flooded by the tsunami, he said. “Even though you have generators on site, you have to get the water out of the basement,” he said.

or

To pump in the water, the Japanese have apparently tried used firefighting equipment — hardly the usual procedure. But forcing the seawater inside the containment vessel has been difficult because the pressure in the vessel has become so great.

One American official likened the process to “trying to pour water into an inflated balloon,” and said that on Sunday it was “not clear how much water they are getting in, or whether they are covering the cores.”

The problem was compounded because gauges in the reactor seemed to have been damaged in the earthquake or tsunami, making it impossible to know just how much water is in the core.

or

Usually when a reactor is first shut down, an electric pump pulls heated water from the vessel to a heat exchanger, and cool water from a river or ocean is brought in to draw off that heat.

But at the Japanese reactors, after losing electric power, that system could not be used. Instead the operators are dumping seawater into the vessel and letting it cool the fuel by boiling. But as it boils, pressure rises too high to pump in more water, so they have to vent the vessel to the atmosphere, and feed in more water, a procedure known as “feed and bleed.”

When the fuel was intact, the steam they were releasing had only modest amounts of radioactive material, in a nontroublesome form. With damaged fuel, that steam is getting dirtier.

Do you consider them examples of fearmongering?
(#459 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I agree that western media has wet it's panties over the disaster, and I can the panels of "experts" on camera at CNN, FOX, BBC, etc. I love how the words "may" and "might" appear in nearly every sentence, as most people don't seem to understand that "may" means the same thing as "may not", just as "might" means the same thing as "might" not. Long lectures and endless discussions about what may or may not happen are complete nonsense.

As for the quake in Nagano, I felt a good shake at about 3:15 today, and I thought Fuji TV reported the quake as being centered in Nagano.

One of the good things about the 24 hour news coverage is that I don't have to see the retarded variety shows with the bizarrely dressed "celebrities" doing the same thing night after night. In comparison I almost miss the western "shock journalism" programs.
(#460 (permalink))
Old
raining (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM

the videos and pictures look horrible, hope you guys are doing better!! best wishes from america