JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

Trains .. Trains.. - 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM

It seems that some JF members also love trains. So instead of hijacking other threads, lets talk about Japanese railway system and your countrys railway system too or any other Railway system that you have experienced..

Train Lovers .. go

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#2 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

08-04-2011, 01:17 AM

It would have been nicer if there had been an guiding opening or directional opinion, for the purpose of raising comments. Just a declaration that here one can discuss things is somewhat... unsecure, since the topic can take an ugly turn, such as "in my country the unspoken service that JR also provides to Japanese is done by a nearby river or by a shotgun blast, except in Oume area where there are so few trains that people decide to jump off the Hinatawada bridge instead" or something nasty like that.

Oh, look! Here's a train at Laoxi Road in Shanghai for comparison! They are totally different from Japanese trains, aren't they? This[1][2] could be useful in Japan, too!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-04-2011, 01:20 AM

I despise the fact that in the US, passenger trains have to share the line with freight trains. There is no dedicated passenger rail lines because it would be too extensive and expensive. A trip from Chicago to Detroit took over seven hours because Amtrak didn't own the track it was using and Union Pacific would only maintain it for freight train speeds. What a joke! I could walk faster than the train was going in certain areas! I got really spoiled rotten in Japan with the cleanliness, the punctuality, the extensive network, the train cars themselves, etc.... The Chicago to Detroit trip would have taken about an hour and a half on the Shinkansen. Next time, I'll fly there!

The US rail system is too old and it needs a serious overhaul, but there is no money for it and with a country this big, flying is a cheaper and faster alternative in many, many cases.... Too many People own tracks and they don't play well together....
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-04-2011, 02:15 AM

The Philippines actually established a railway system first than Japan unfortunately due to corrupt government and undiscipline citizen, add to the fact that there are lots of squatter, living along the railroad, it never improved.

A few years ago, the country , with the help of Japan built a new Railway system to ease the traffic in Manila. Personally I have not used it since I don't live in the city.

I have never been on a train, till I got to Japan and it is the only train system I have used so far.

An interesting train i've been on lately, was the Black Ship Train going to Izu.
train

Unfortunately, taking pictures inside the train is not allowed . I love what they did to the interior.

My Japan Life

(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-04-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjama View Post
It would have been nicer if there had been an guiding opening or directional opinion, for the purpose of raising comments. Just a declaration that here one can discuss things is somewhat... unsecure, since the topic can take an ugly turn, such as "in my country the unspoken service that JR also provides to Japanese is done by a nearby river or by a shotgun blast, except in Oume area where there are so few trains that people decide to jump off the Hinatawada bridge instead" or something nasty like that.

Oh, look! Here's a train at Laoxi Road in Shanghai for comparison! They are totally different from Japanese trains, aren't they? This[1][2] could be useful in Japan, too!
Then don't post anything nasty . Nway, I am just trying to create a general discussions about trains. Post anything you like as long as it does not break any forum rules and of course it needs to be about trains.

My Japan Life

(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
The Philippines actually established a railway system first than Japan unfortunately due to corrupt government and undiscipline citizen, add to the fact that there are lots of squatter, living along the railroad, it never improved.

A few years ago, the country , with the help of Japan built a new Railway system to ease the traffic in Manila. Personally I have not used it since I don't live in the city.

I have never been on a train, till I got to Japan and it is the only train system I have used so far.

An interesting train i've been on lately, was the Black Ship Train going to Izu.
train

Unfortunately, taking pictures inside the train is not allowed . I love what they did to the interior.
How long will the black ship train run for? I wish i had that opportunity.

John, canada is the same, our commuter train share the tracks with freight train. What worse is that we mostly operate off a single track system on each line. So for our commuter train here, train travel south to the city during rush hour, and back during the afternoon rush. No train services outside of the rush hour boundary. What worse is, because it single track, one problematic train will hold up the entire line....... If someone got killed on the track, we will be stuck for at least 5 hours for investigation and such.. and most importantly, we are NOT allowed to leave!

Thats why I LOVE the japanese railway system. I was taking the Saitama train from Tokyo > Omiya, someone jumped infront of our train. We killed the dude instantly. Our train were stopped, and services resumed within 20 minutes......

I did some research, for 2009, on an average, all Japanese railway service is within 45 seconds of it operating schedule. Toronto is known for late trains, thats one of the attraction........
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-04-2011, 02:11 PM

I had actually never been on a passenger train before coming to Japan... And had only even seen one once. It was such a rarity that I actually remember it. We were stopped at a rail crossing, looked up at the train slowly passing by, and it had people on it.

Now it is hard for me to imagine not having the transportation options available that I have grown used to in Japan. Even in big cities in the US, it seems like the public transportation systems are just barely adequate - if that.

It is really a shame that passenger rail died out - I would have loved to have had the chance to take a cross country train trip... For me the journey is as much a part of the enjoyment as the destination itself so flying is really a bit depressing. I would love to at least have the option of a slower trip by rail and/or ship (without it costing a fortune...)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
It is really a shame that passenger rail died out - I would have loved to have had the chance to take a cross country train trip... For me the journey is as much a part of the enjoyment as the destination itself so flying is really a bit depressing. I would love to at least have the option of a slower trip by rail and/or ship (without it costing a fortune...)
Are you referring to outside of Japan?

The thing with the Japanese railway system is that its really elaborate, I mean you have access to some sort of Tracks (be it commuter train, high speed or subway) at almost every major intersection.

I only remeber Japan's winter as a kid, but don't remember what its like taking public transportation during winter. Was it also mostly on time? The reason I asked is that, Toronot's system suck... they always have an excuse:

- Winter time - Tracks are slippery, and the switches get frozen and need to be unfreeze manually (I am not kidding, someone walk out with a flamethrower)

- Summer time - Tracks are too hot and its expanded to beyond it safety operation guage, so trains need to travel slower..
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Are you referring to outside of Japan?
I was referring to the US specifically. I guess I should have been clearer...

Quote:
Was it also mostly on time? The reason I asked is that, Toronot's system suck... they always have an excuse:
I have never seen any real weather related delays other than typhoons and flooding. The trains are just as on time in winter, at least in my experience.

I have never heard of trains being delayed by temperature alone. I imagine that as the seasons happen every year without fail they have designed the tracks and system to be able to handle all but the most extreme conditions.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I was referring to the US specifically. I guess I should have been clearer...

I have never seen any real weather related delays other than typhoons and flooding. The trains are just as on time in winter, at least in my experience.

I have never heard of trains being delayed by temperature alone. I imagine that as the seasons happen every year without fail they have designed the tracks and system to be able to handle all but the most extreme conditions.
Our trains are always late, so they blame it on a recurring fatore - weather..

My favourite line is the Yamanote (For obvious reasons), and the Yokohama line...