JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Patriotism - 08-21-2011, 01:23 AM

Is Japan a patriotic country?

I'd say I've visited countries at both ends of the 'patriot' scale, with the USA being most patriotic, and my home country of the UK being the least.
In America, you'd be pressed to just travel a few blocks without seeing an American flag flying somewhere, and finding someone who doesn't show at least a little patriotism for their country.
While in the UK, I don't really see anyone talking patriotically, and there certainly aren't many flags flying in my area.

When I was in Japan, I can't really say I saw much in terms of flags flying and such (the majority of flags I did see flying were those of other countries), yet sometimes I hear that Japanese people think very highly of their country, and are extremely proud to be Japanese.

Oh, where do you come from, and are you patriotic? As said I'm from the UK, and I would consider myself a minor patriot. I wouldn't go flying the British flag around, and I couldn't care less for the royal wedding really, but I do think the countryside around where I live, the environment around me, the achievements the UK has made and some of the absolutely amazing things to see and do here make me a proud Brit.
I'm seriously considering a holiday somewhere in Britain for my next trip rather than going abroad, and for me that's really saying something! :L
Sorry if I sound a bit like a tourism advert in this last paragraph ^^;
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-21-2011, 03:06 AM

I'm from the USA and while I don't wave a flag around I am a vet and am certainly proud of what American stands for..idealy anyhow, we tend to mess up alot, but generally we mean well.

To me the Japananese seem more proud of their culture and it's contribution to the world moreso than "patriotic" about thier "country". If that makes sense? Course that's just how I percieve it from over here and may have it completely wrong.

I can't say about Britain so much, I don't think they feel as British as they did back in WW2 if that's what you mean.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-21-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
To me the Japananese seem more proud of their culture and it's contribution to the world moreso than "patriotic" about thier "country". If that makes sense? Course that's just how I percieve it from over here and may have it completely wrong.
I think I know what you mean. When it comes to UNESCO World Heritage sites, Japanese seem to be really proud to increase their numbers.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-21-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Is Japan a patriotic country?

In America, you'd be pressed to just travel a few blocks without seeing an American flag flying somewhere, and finding someone who doesn't show at least a little patriotism for their country.
I don't know what part of the country you have visited, but I am from Chicago and I can't remember the last time I have seen a random flag being flown (random as in not a country holiday or at a sporting event). Nor do I hear how proud people are to live here. A lot of times, I hear it in jest, if anything. Then again, like I said, I live in a city... where all the liberal scum reside :P

Quote:
While in the UK, I don't really see anyone talking patriotically, and there certainly aren't many flags flying in my area.
I've lived in and have visited England many times. The English as a *state* seemed VERY patriotic; especially when it came to other people from the UK (i.e. vs the Irish). Other than that, I haven't really witnessed it much there either (but again, I was mostly in London, so who knows how the rest of the country feels/acts). Also, I have never seen so many flags displayed in my life during the world cup. Yes, a sporting event, but I am talking houses and cars COVERED in flags and such. It was actually pretty cool

Quote:
Oh, where do you come from, and are you patriotic? As said I'm from the UK, and I would consider myself a minor patriot.
I would not consider myself patriotic AT ALL and consider it a general sign of weakness. There is a difference in loving where you came from and taking PRIDE in it. I love my life, where I live and how I was raised. But that is because it will always be a part of who I am. I swear no allegiance and have an OBVIOUS interest in many other lands and cultures.

Last edited by dxr : 08-21-2011 at 05:43 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-21-2011, 04:51 AM

I have found that Japan is patriotic, but at the same time taught that being patriotic is a bad bad thing... So it causes this sort of strange internal stress.

People are naturally patriotic. There are degrees to it, of course, but people will naturally have a love of home, family, and as an extension - country. Whether they realize this is another subject altogether, but the natural tendency is there. This is a reason it is so common to see expats who thought they hated their home countries becoming extremely angry when someone else criticizes their native country.
When the culture supports patriotism, like the US, it is simply a normal thing and you see it a lot in the forefront.

In Japan, people have this same tendency to be patriotic... But patriotism was very strong during the war. After the war, it was presented as one of the reasons for the war, and put into the taboo box. Being patriotic came to mean being very right wing and wanting war in the public psyche. People seem to have been taught that it is better to behave as if they think very negatively of their country.

So you very rarely see displays of patriotism in Japan. The negative connotations of public displays of patriotism are just too large.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Yeah,I'm slightly moreso towards Wales but you can't help it sometimes.

I don't hate the UK,I think it's got potential which isn't always utilised.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

08-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Japan is not at all Patriotic!

Japan is proud on what they have achieved after two Nuclear Bombs have been thrown at their land. And every Japanese should be proud of their people on how things have changed since then.

It's similar to Germany basically. Before the World Cup happened here in Germany, we were very shy to show any kind of Nationalism in public.. like waving flags and so on.

It's just a blockade but has nothing to do, on not being proud to be a German or something like that. We certianly are proud as well, just like the Japanese on what has happened in our country since then and how everything has been rebuild and established in this World.

The USA however is Patriotic in a very, very bad way!! Because most of their Republican Patriots truly believe that America is the maximum and not only because they have won the war..
They fail to see the truth and what America really stands for.. kind of brain washed like the North-Korean society.
People need to wake up over there and take a deep look in what kind of a country they truly live in.
Unlike the North-Korean people, Americans actually can look beyond their borders.

The Second Bill Of Rights from Franklin D. Roosevelt was not applied in your country guys.. but instead in the defeated Axis Nations like Japan, Germany and Italy.

Think about that!

Think about all the Corruption and the Capitalism ruling your beloved land.

Last edited by BobbyCooper : 08-21-2011 at 10:59 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Japan is not at all Patriotic!

Japan is proud on what they have achieved after two Nuclear Bombs have been thrown at their land. And every Japanese should be proud of their people on how things have changed since then.

It's similar to Germany basically. Before the World Cup happened here in Germany, we were very shy to show any kind of Nationalism in public.. like waving flags and so on.

It's just a blockade but has nothing to do, on not being proud to be a German or something like that. We certianly are proud as well, just like the Japanese on what has happened in our country since then and how everything has been rebuild and established in this World.

The USA however is Patriotic in a very, very bad way!! Because most of their Republican Patriots truly believe that America is the maximum and not only because they have won the war..
They fail to see the truth and what America really stands for.. kind of brain washed like the North-Korean society.
People need to wake up over there and take a deep look in what kind of a country they truly live in.
Unlike the North-Korean people, Americans actually can look beyond their borders.

The Second Bill Of Rights from Franklin D. Roosevelt was not applied in your country guys.. but instead in the defeated Axis Nations like Japan, Germany and Italy.

Think about that!

Think about all the Corruption and the Capitalism ruling your beloved land.
Unless you live in America all your life, dont dare speak as you know us. Yeah, we are not the best place, but we are not that bad, thank you.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
08-21-2011, 11:42 AM

As much as I am annoyed by certain aspects of life here, I am very proud to be Scottish. I'm proud of everything I stand for, & will so my pride as a Celtic Football Club fan. I dont believe the Japanese are the most patriotic in showing their pride, but thats not to say they are not immensely proud of their country

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Bobby - this is a warning.

I do not really know or care if you are serious or a troll. That is not the point. Incessantly worshipping Japan is one thing, which while a bit annoying at times is not against the rules.

However, blatant bashing of any country, group of people, or individuals will NOT be tolerated. You have been banned twice already. Do not push the rules or you will find yourself with a much longer ban next time...

(Posted publicly as I have gotten a few pms about this, and want it made clear that I am not giving Bobby free reign to do whatever he wants. Do NOT turn this thread into a bash Bobby fest as has happened in the past.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.