LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
But it's not pushed down your throat every year. You choose whether or not to participate or watch programs about it. And if it comforts some people I really don't see that as a problem.
No it isn't a problem indeed.
Wat I mean to say, as is said before, it's hard to ignore it because of the media and people that are constantly talking about it.

He drew a circle that shut me out --
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Look people, Americans celebrate losses as much as victories. Alamo, Little Big Horn, Pearl Harbor, BunkerHill. We memorialize everything, this whole country is dedicated to War, we are a modern day Sparta.

Arlington Cemetary explains the USA.
I don't think it is a celebration-- it is remembrance and commemoration.

For those wno don't want to know or even Care-- well- thats their choice.

Just typical of many human beings I guess.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-14-2011, 12:38 PM

koululover seems to be under the impression that being offended by something makes you right! well it doesn't! you and a lot of other people should learn this.

as for me, if anything this day should be viewed as the day the middle east got f**ked. the day people remember all the people that have been killed, tortured and humiliated by the events that preceded 9/11. people should remember this, a far more horrific act.
war is basically the same as terrorism, only on grander scale. somebody wants something and tries to get it with force.

i never did and never will shed any tears for 9/11.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Hi Evanny, you are a hard hearted person.

Perhaps you can inform us of the reason for that attack on America. and of course the aftermath.

No doubt there was a reason to attack America-- It's a pity there is not more talk rather than making war constantly.

I hate to see what is happening now in the Middle East. It is such a complex situation

Politicians make the laws and start the wars. I had never heard of Osama Bin Laden until 9/11.

It often is hard regimes that cause the disruptions. Also religion and the lack of women's rights.

and of course OIL.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

09-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNL View Post
If I had lost someone in a attack, I wouldn't want to remember such a terrible day..

I was awakened on September 11th by a phone call. I answered the phone, and immediately a screaming women was asking me if I was okay. I had no idea who she was, or why she was calling, and being half asleep, I assured her that I was fine. She went on yelling hysterically about the television and the airplanes, and other stuff that I couldn't make out. I told her again that I was find, and hung up the phone. As it turned out, her husband was one of those who worked in the World Trade Center. She was so hysterical that she dialed my phone number by mistake.

I then turned on the television, and saw one of the towers of the World Trade Center in flames, and listened to the news people talking about an "accident". But a few minutes later, a second plane crashed into the second tower.

The next call I got was from the police department (where I worked), telling me to report immediately. Before I could get dressed, I got a call from my Army Reserve commander, also telling me to report at the armory to draw weapons.

It is utterly and absolutely stupid not to be horrified daily by what happened that day. You can say that more people have died in the wars that followed, but then you have to do the logical math and understand that they are also casualties of September 11th. Then you must understand that the reasons you must take off your shoes or get your body scanned at the airport are because of September 11th. You have to understand that that a fundamental shift in the world's economies which has affected every person living on this planet occurred on September 11th.

Are people really so stupid as not to understand the significance of that day? I suppose so. My grandfather quite plainly said that the great majority of the people in the world are stupid sheep, chewing grass, and living inert lives. It's too bad that these stupid sheep don't understand what they are, and that they should keep their stupid sheep's mouths shut rather than to say stupid things on subjects of which they are ignorant.

If you have half a heart, and a fraction of a living mind, you should never forget September 11th, and you should never forget that it affected you, and still affects you to this very moment.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 09-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-14-2011, 04:51 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...are-train.html

Of course London had its 7/7 atack.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
as for me, if anything this day should be viewed as the day the middle east got f**ked. the day people remember all the people that have been killed, tortured and humiliated by the events that preceded 9/11. people should remember this, a far more horrific act.
war is basically the same as terrorism, only on grander scale. somebody wants something and tries to get it with force.

i never did and never will shed any tears for 9/11.
I agree. War = terrorism. What the USA does to the middle east is far worse than what the middle east does to the USA.
Also on 9/11 I've seen the events happening on TV. The only thing that was in in my mind was the word "wow" and I felt sorry for the victims, but after a few minutes watching I was already busy with something else. Just like you I never did and never will shed tears for 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Are people really so stupid as not to understand the significance of that day? I suppose so. My grandfather quite plainly said that the great majority of the people in the world are stupid sheep, chewing grass, and living inert lives. It's too bad that these stupid sheep don't understand what they are, and that they should keep their stupid sheep's mouths shut rather than to say stupid things on subjects of which they are ignorant.

If you have half a heart, and a fraction of a living mind, you should never forget September 11th, and you should never forget that it affected you, and still affects you to this very moment.
I won't forget 9/11. I just don't commemorate it. And sure things have changed, but it's not like it changed my life.. I mean, saying things like "everything has changed nothing will ever be the same again" Isn't quite realistic. Aside from people talking about it nothing affects me, unless I go to the airport.

And respectfully, I don't think your grandfather referred to people like us. Ignorance and indifference or just controlling your thoughts are different things. They have nothing to do with each other.

(#48 (permalink))
Old
sutekidane (Offline)
JF Regular

09-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post

Opening shoes and belts and inconveniences like that are least of the problems many fellow human beings face on this planet. Your grandfather said the right thing and your post proves that point. There is a long history behind 9/11, if you did not dig out the history and try to understand why it happened, then all those that sacrificed their lives did that in vain, I am sorry to say. Like someone said, if we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it and we are repeating it as we hit our keyboards.

Last edited by sutekidane : 09-14-2011 at 11:15 PM.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNL View Post
In my opinion, no we should not. It isn't important or anything to commemorate it. If anything it comforts people. But that's all.
Everybody is free to do what he wants, as always. But for me, feeling that negative energy once is more than enough. I don't need all those events pushed down my throat every year to remember what happend.
That's where I think you are completely wrong. All of these events have shaped all of our lives. You may not want to believe that, but it is true.

These are events that involved tough decisions and many lives lost. To now acknowledge that these events took place is not only short-sighted, but disrespectful.

It seems so many young people today like to live under the belief that the world didn't really exist before they achieved self-awareness
(#50 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That's where I think you are completely wrong. All of these events have shaped all of our lives. You may not want to believe that, but it is true.

These are events that involved tough decisions and many lives lost. To now acknowledge that these events took place is not only short-sighted, but disrespectful.

It seems so many young people today like to live under the belief that the world didn't really exist before they achieved self-awareness
I didn't say those events didn't change anything. Things like WW2 for example shaped our lifes. THAT was a big event. 9/11, in comparison, is almost nothing. I would almost say a footnote.
(I repeat, yes 9/11 is terrible and I feel sorry for the victims, but if you compare it with other events in history or the war today in the middle east then it's not big)

Believe me, you (people) don't know me at all. As a matter of fact almost nobody understands me in real life. People at my old school/schools don't understand me, my colleagues don't understand me and think I'm weird, my friends including my best friend don't understand me, many people I talk with about large and important issues or spiritual and paranormal things don't understand me. I know exactly why many young people have a completely different look at the world, but I don't know if it's appropriate to say. Anyway, the lack of understanding people towards us is something I've learned to live with.

Last edited by DragonNL : 09-14-2011 at 08:06 PM.