LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I guess so. The problem there was the HK and Taiwanese guests knew to wait in line, but the Chinese guests would just go to the front. As you can imagine, this caused a ton of problems, and they are still working on it.

My only personal experience was getting of a plane from Japan into Kansai Int'l at the same time a plane from China landed. So all these Chinese were trying to go through customs at the same time as the non-Japanese passengers from my plane. I was shocked to see families of people push to the front with thie passports out. There were a couple of US Marines (I think) in front of me, and one finally just put his arms straight out to not let any more pass. A couple of kids (encouraged by their dad) snuck under and to the front, but the Marine wouldn't let the father and mother cut in front. The kids were yelling (from the passport check booths) for their dad to hurry up, but he the Marine made it clear with his eyes he wasn't going before him. It was one of the strangest things I have ever seen, so I still wonder, how does an advanced society like China function if the people won't wait in line?
oh boy, i was in china this summer for a month. my worst experience there was actually waiting at a shanghai train station waiting to buy a ticket to Nanjing. me and my friend (chinese) waited for about 3 hours cos people kept pushing and people actualy started fighting. and from time to time. even the ticket sellers would take unannounced breaks because people were so rude to them etc etc. It was horrible. it reminded me of a third world country where everyone was fighting to get some food or something.

and from my experience of china. i wouldn't say its an advanced society at all. i'd say about 98% of them are poor with the lack of manners like other third world countried (ie, algeria, morocco, indonisia) etc etc. i say this cos i went to a lot of cities in china and even in the rich parts of the city, the onlyplaces that fealt like it was a good socieety was inside big hotels and big office plazas etc. otherwise., just outside these building its a battle to walk in a straite line wthout someone shoving you from behind to get in front of you. ( i guess its due to the population and many other factors. but i was shocked none the less)
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-22-2007, 08:19 AM

well i am half chinese and there are some things that i wouldn't mind seeing in china like the great wall for example. i won't die if i never set eyes on this country, but this does give me another reason to reconsider. besides, i don't really want to pay for a trip just to see a damn wall. i'm surrounded by four of them as we speak.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
10-22-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I guess you are just proving my point. Do you actually think "Americans tend to be a little too fond of themselves, like if someone dares mess with them they'll get their beloved government to set the army on their asses"? Seriously? The American people didn't ask the American goverment to go to war...it was quite the opposite. It's the American people who are embarrassed, ashamed and are begging our government to get us out of this war.

If you know they are stereotypes, why fuel them by spreading them?
Yeah right, he got elected TWICE because the American people don't support his beliefs... anyway, let's not turn this into a political debate. You just have to understand why you (assuming you're American) are seen this way, cause it's kinda obvious when one keeps making the same mistake over and over again despite having the truth stare them in the face... it shows how brainwashed some people are.

And I'm not spreading anything, I'm just telling you why these stereotypes about the Americans are going around so that you know it's not for nothing you have this reputation.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#44 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-23-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
well i am half chinese and there are some things that i wouldn't mind seeing in china like the great wall for example. i won't die if i never set eyes on this country, but this does give me another reason to reconsider. besides, i don't really want to pay for a trip just to see a damn wall. i'm surrounded by four of them as we speak.

raverboy
dude the great wall is totally amazing. i remember sitting on the coach on the way there... half an hour before we even got there i could start seeing like a snake going up and down and around the mountains... its truely WOW. and you know, the best thing about it is, going to the highest point (near beijing) and just seing the mountains and sceneray around. It's like mountain climbing but safer
(#45 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-23-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Yeah right, he got elected TWICE because the American people don't support his beliefs... anyway, let's not turn this into a political debate. You just have to understand why you (assuming you're American) are seen this way, cause it's kinda obvious when one keeps making the same mistake over and over again despite having the truth stare them in the face... it shows how brainwashed some people are.

And I'm not spreading anything, I'm just telling you why these stereotypes about the Americans are going around so that you know it's not for nothing you have this reputation.
I would argue that he wasn't elected the second time, but, like you said, no need to go into it. Look at his popularity rate right now and tell me that he represents the present beliefs of the American public. Clearly the damage he has done has reached all corners of the Earth.

But again, you generalize and stereotype. I need to understand why I am seen this way? It's obvious? I am brainwashed? I would never dare make a generalization about an entire country based on the motions of it's political leader. Do I think all Iranis think the same way as thier president? Of course not. French? Hell no. Do all Japanese have the same mind as their Prime Minister? Of course not. So why throw every American in the same bucket as Bush? I understand it's an easy route to take, but allow me to tell you that this is the minority thinking. And that many Americans are very aware (and embarrassed) by the actions of thier government, and, in turn, don't judge a person by what country they are from.

It's too bad that judging a person by what country they are born is still the norm in too many places. I hope some day that the "stereotypes about Americans going around" can be cast away with judging people by the color of thier skin or the kinkiness of thier hair.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-23-2007, 09:04 AM

MMM i agree with you, but the problem with stereotypes is that it isn't usualy just from the government. All the stereotypes that i tend to agree with (unintentionally) are the ones that american's that i have met give across. eg. most americans as soon as they hear my accent is english, they for some reason want to start a debate about which country is best and which english is better... because of this, i tend to believe that A LOT of americans are stubborn and think they are the best in the world.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Tristan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Tristan
Worse Dressed - 10-23-2007, 09:14 AM

It doesn't surprise me that, as Americans, we were ranked for being the worse dressed. After visiting Korea and Japan, I can honestly say we're overly casual with our dress style (not necessarily a bad thing!)
(#48 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-23-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
MMM i agree with you, but the problem with stereotypes is that it isn't usualy just from the government. All the stereotypes that i tend to agree with (unintentionally) are the ones that american's that i have met give across. eg. most americans as soon as they hear my accent is english, they for some reason want to start a debate about which country is best and which english is better... because of this, i tend to believe that A LOT of americans are stubborn and think they are the best in the world.
That is very interesting to me (and I am happy to talk on non-attacking terms) as that is completely the opposite of my experience. I do appreciate you speaking to your experiences (no doubt 100% true), and I will tell you mine.

When I lived in Japan, I had many chances to drink with English speakers from all over the world. It didn't take more than a few occasions of drinking with a few Brits, Aussies and others that is was clear that my presence as an American was not necessary. Our government was shit. Our beer was piss. Our people were too fat. Our kids were too stupid. After a few nights of drinking with my new "friends" I was about ready to hang myself. I had never felt so forced to defend my country (or concede its faults). It was strange to me, because here we all were in Japan, in a brand new country, with pluses and minuses, but my presence led only to continued attacks on America. It was like I had a target on my chest. So I quit hanging out with them.

I visited London a few years ago, and had a really stellar time. It was a real blast, and near the B&B I was staying in was a great pub. I would go there for a couple pints before bed, and met a couple guys who were real nice and we spoke for several nights in a row. Feeling comfortable enough I asked "So what do you guys really think about Americans?" and they said "For all the shit you get, every American who comes into this pub seems to try so hard NOT to be the 'ugly American' it is laughable" (including me). He then went on to say that Americans are too shy, and that Brits like Americans (Yanks, was his word) like Americans love Brits. With open arms.

I have no doubt you have met some loud-mouthed, asshole Americans. There is no shortage, but I don't think it is a distincively or above-average American quality.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-23-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
It doesn't surprise me that, as Americans, we were ranked for being the worse dressed. After visiting Korea and Japan, I can honestly say we're overly casual with our dress style (not necessarily a bad thing!)
It is just different. I live on the West Coast, and was shocked to see that you need to wear a collared shirt to go into a nice restaurant in Washington D.C. Although, it's probably more formal in D.C. than in Tokyo.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-23-2007, 09:33 AM

MMM, i totally agree with you, i've met lots of nice americans (one married my good friend who was english) that didn't judge me cos i was speaking in a british accent or what not. but unfortunately human nature (me anyway) seems to retain bad experiences more than good experiences thus many stereotypes are created (to make one feel better in a way).

You should also blame the media for creating stereotypes.. for example the "american kids are fat, stupid...... etc" in the news and the net i don't stop seeing stuff about this. for example last night i saw a clip on french tv where and american journalist asked people in the street "in terms of the war on terror, which country do you think is next to invade" Some of the answers were ridiculous, like some young boy and his mother both said FRANCE, and when they were asked to put a pin on the map to show where france was, they put it on Australia cos they changed the names of the countries.

This kinda media just encourages all the stereotypes.