LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-06-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi View Post
I was more so concerned with the budget for a hotel but as I've already booked it and paid for it with my credit card I'm ok on the rest. I'm not saying I'm going crazy and spending money everywhere, but I should have enough to have a good time.

This is what I got from another forum regarding a trip to Hiroshima.

now if that would be doable, 6 hours isn't a lot of time which is why i was thinking I might just stay the night if thats the case.
And according to this site, a regular (non-reserved) 1 way ticket on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hiroshima is 17,540 yen, 18,000 for a reserved seat. That's about $160 1 way, or $320 round trip. That's more expensive than a pre-booked flight between the 2 cities, and much more than the night bus.

By contrast, you can get to Nikko for about $15 1 way from Tokyo. And I've been to both Nikko and Hiroshima, and enjoyed Nikko more. Is Hiroshima really worth that much to you? Nara, Kyoto, Takayama, and many other interesting places are closer to Tokyo than Hiroshima...

Hiroshima Travel: Access, Orientation and Transportation

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
And according to this site, a regular (non-reserved) 1 way ticket on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hiroshima is 17,540 yen, 18,000 for a reserved seat. That's about $160 1 way, or $320 round trip. That's more expensive than a pre-booked flight between the 2 cities, and much more than the night bus.

By contrast, you can get to Nikko for about $15 1 way from Tokyo. And I've been to both Nikko and Hiroshima, and enjoyed Nikko more. Is Hiroshima really worth that much to you? Nara, Kyoto, Takayama, and many other interesting places are closer to Tokyo than Hiroshima...

Hiroshima Travel: Access, Orientation and Transportation
Thanks a lot for the link. I'm more so interested in visiting Hiroshima for its historical significance, but if its too much of a hassle I might have to skip it, but I'm going to try my best to make it. I might actually end up getting a JR pass because the more I'm thinking about its dawning on me that 10 days is quite a while to spend in Tokyo alone and in the latter part I'll probably be venturing out more than staying in the city.

Last edited by watashi : 01-06-2008 at 07:34 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
fz22gq (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2008, 09:46 AM

4 Yrs planning and you left it to the last week to find accomodation! Wow ... you're a lazier traveller than me. As long as you have bucks in your pocket you'll be fine. Trips to Hiroshima will be a stretch with you time limit though. Enjoy Japan, pack some warm clothes, it's cold here.!

It's all written here, everything i see and do in Japan, stop by for a look at ---->>>>The Duck in Japan
(#14 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Just been too busy with everything else really to give this trip the attention it needed, but its coming together.

Thanks for reminding of that as well. Currently here in NY its in the teens and 30's how cold does it get in japan at this time? Tokyo wise, since I'll be spending most of my time there. I have to do my packing tomorrow.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-07-2008, 01:42 AM

I'm pretty certain that Tokyo gets cold...probably not as cold as places like say Hokkaido, but definitely cold. To my knowledge, they get "normal winters" there. lol We haven't had real snow here in Richmond for the longest time.

Anyway, glad to see that you finally found a hotel and got everything together. I hope you manage to have yourself a really nice trip.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-07-2008, 04:19 AM

Yeah, its going to be a lot of fun. Still don't have much planned other than the Tokyo Auto Salon and roaming about in Tokyo, but I'll probably plan something out while I'm there. 1 more day before leaving!

As for the weather, when I check the forcasts for tokyo via bbc and other sources its showing me as it being in the 40's and 50's and calling for about the same during my trip which is like Fall temps here in NY so I'm packing not too much winter clothing, but am bringing some along just in case.

Last edited by watashi : 01-07-2008 at 04:21 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-08-2008, 04:06 AM

So tomorrow morning is D-day. Shipping out at 10:45 and scheduled to land in Narita at 5:00pm on the 9th.

Only have 1 issue of figuring out my best option to get to the hotel from Narita, which is steps from the JR Ryouguku Station.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by watashi : 01-08-2008 at 04:43 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-08-2008, 06:15 AM

I'm pretty sure there's a desk you can go to, to ask about that at the airport. I guess as long as you do end up on the JR line, you'll be fine. I guess you'd have to take that JR Narita Express. I hope you do okay, though. I think if I ever go, the trains'll get me. I get confused with the subways in NY whenever I visit, and those signs are in English. lol
(#19 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-09-2008, 05:27 AM

Watashi, please do not forget about this topic when you return from your trip. I really want to know how visiting Tokyo in the winter is really like since I may do that next year.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

01-09-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi View Post
I was more so concerned with the budget for a hotel but as I've already booked it and paid for it with my credit card I'm ok on the rest. I'm not saying I'm going crazy and spending money everywhere, but I should have enough to have a good time.

This is what I got from another forum regarding a trip to Hiroshima.

now if that would be doable, 6 hours isn't a lot of time which is why i was thinking I might just stay the night if thats the case.

if you are planning to visit only the sites in the city, the bomb dome, the peace museum and etc then 6 hours is doable. But it would be a waste if you will not visit Itsushima Shrin or Kure - where the Submarine museum is located. Besides Youth Hostel, Millions Hotel was the cheapest I could find around 3000yen per night. It was clean and comfy and its was near the the peace musuem so convenient.

Also if you are in Hiroshima, don't forget to eat the Hiroshima Okonomiyaki, its really good.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------