LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Japanese dads don't like ANYONE who dates their daughters. Being a foreigner doesn't have anything to do with it.
I think this could be applied to any father of any nationality.

Edit: But yeah, I think a lot of the supposed "racism" from Japan is just the language barrier, and overly arrogant foreigners assuming everyone should go out of their way to assist them.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-04-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think this could be applied to any father of any nationality.

Edit: But yeah, I think a lot of the supposed "racism" from Japan is just the language barrier, and overly arrogant foreigners assuming everyone should go out of their way to assist them.
Dads are dudes first.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Ramones1976 (Offline)

07-04-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
No i don't think its xenophobia

its more a fact of
you speak english,
they dont speak english
they speak japanese
you don't speak japanese

To be honest, British and american tourists are the worst type, they expect everyone to speak english to them in every country they visit. The gene of colonialism kicks in.

Although, i'm not speaking for all british/american tourists. Only some.

I agree...
Many people here expect everyone to speak english...
Personally it really irritates me...
I think what they actually said in the commentary of a Simpsons episode is right "when some americans like to visit other countries they tend to overwhelm people with their culture rather than taking in theirs..."

I saw a document recently about Japan and they explained when Japan unified in 1600, Japan closed its self off to foreigners, expelling foreign people, ideas, religions, and goods, except for Dutch and Chinese merchants until about the Meiji era (for about 250 years)...
I think I heard Japan's government, during the Edo period, feared foreign people, ideas and religions would harm the old ways and traditions, and cause Japan to divide again...

Last edited by Ramones1976 : 07-04-2008 at 03:47 AM.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

07-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Have you witnessed this? Do you have any examples of instances you've witnessed where blacks were being discriminated against and such?
ok not exactly discriminated but just not as accepted..
well i know some old ladies and they love americans, australians, etc but they have something against black people, not exactly sure why...
also, i went to harajuku once and some black guys were advertising for their shop out on the street. It could have been just because they were doing that but people (not all but many) were staying clear of them..

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
ok not exactly discriminated but just not as accepted..
well i know some old ladies and they love americans, australians, etc but they have something against black people, not exactly sure why...
also, i went to harajuku once and some black guys were advertising for their shop out on the street. It could have been just because they were doing that but people (not all but many) were staying clear of them..
Dude, I always tried to stay clear of those guys (same as outside the bars/clubs). It's not because I am racist, but because those guys will sometimes almost drag you into a club/store. And many don't stop trying just because you say "no thanks". I don't blame them since it's their job, but don't say ppl are racist for trying to stay clear.

なんでやねん!
(#56 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

07-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Dude, I always tried to stay clear of those guys (same as outside the bars/clubs). It's not because I am racist, but because those guys will sometimes almost drag you into a club/store. And many don't stop trying just because you say "no thanks". I don't blame them since it's their job, but don't say ppl are racist for trying to stay clear.
ok sorry.. but im just saying what i saw

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#57 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Sometimes almost drag you? No one has ever laid a finger on me.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2008, 03:40 PM

Millions? Thousands, perhaps. Well, I don't have the figures but the number has to be low -- especially in a country that tolerates zero immigration!

Nonetheless it's an uphill struggle. As a foreigner you have a harder time convincing tochan and kachan that you're "serious" -- if indeed you are. The Japanese widely believe that a foreigner is an option best suited for "batsu-ichi" and others viewed as "damaged goods." Not good enough for that most glittering of prizes, the young salaryman with good prospects.

I know quite a few of these "mixed" couples, and they either married over the protestations of their families or because the Japanese party suffered from some "defect" (as they see it), i.e. previous divorce, mental illness, poor health, etc.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-05-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
Millions? Thousands, perhaps. Well, I don't have the figures but the number has to be low -- especially in a country that tolerates zero immigration!
But the thing is, most of them don`t stay in Japan. I`d say that most of the couples end up moving out of Japan - usually that is an expectation of the non-Japanese side.

Quote:
Nonetheless it's an uphill struggle. As a foreigner you have a harder time convincing tochan and kachan that you're "serious" -- if indeed you are.
You write that as if there isn`t good reason for it. Face it - Most foreign guys in Japan ARE NOT serious. Most have some fun then go home to brag about their sexual conquests with hot J-girls. Obviously, it`s unfair to assume that everyone is like that... But it isn`t as if the belief isn`t based very firmly in reality.

Quote:
Not good enough for that most glittering of prizes, the young salaryman with good prospects.
I know I certainly didn`t have any trouble.

Quote:
I know quite a few of these "mixed" couples, and they either married over the protestations of their families or because the Japanese party suffered from some "defect" (as they see it), i.e. previous divorce, mental illness, poor health, etc.
I think that the biggest point with protests ends up revolving around the grandchildren. Whichever side is going to be out of immediate reach is going to protest. That certainly isn`t something limited to Japan. No one wants to be cut off in a way from their grandchildren.

Anyway - I know FAR more couples that ended in divorce... Or more like I know a bunch of former Japanese wives of foreign men who got ditched. Most of them as soon as they had a kid and priorities shifted from their husband`s sexual satisfaction to taking care of a baby.
The remaining marriages ended when suddenly the husband decided that even though he`d promised her and her family that they`d live in Japan - Come with him to live elsewhere or the relationship is over.
That doesn`t inspire a whole lot of confidence in the general Japanese population. In fact, I only personally know of 2 couples (other than us) who lasted longer than a year or two.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post

Nonetheless it's an uphill struggle. As a foreigner you have a harder time convincing tochan and kachan that you're "serious" -- if indeed you are. The Japanese widely believe that a foreigner is an option best suited for "batsu-ichi" and others viewed as "damaged goods." Not good enough for that most glittering of prizes, the young salaryman with good prospects.

Why would you think the number is so low? In my city of Portland alone there is more than one "Japanese school" where all the students are either 100% or 50% Japanese. I would say that 2/3 of the students are 50% Japanese and that is a few hundred kids. Like Nyororin said, most don't live IN Japan.

I am sorry to hear you two have had such a negative experience with mixed couples. I do know of a few that have gotten divorced, but on the other side I know some Japanese grandparents that love having an excuse to come to America and visit their grandchildren every year.

I think your attitude, Wasabista, is a little outdated.