JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

Nyorori - 02-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Western people dont think like Freud (Father of Psychoanalysis) but Freud is important to understand western psychology.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-06-2009, 12:39 AM

I would much rather read your words than long quotes you copy and pasted.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-06-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknaizorai View Post
Tatemae / Honne concept is very essential to understand Japanese culture as any expert in the subject will confirm.

I am in graduate school and I am studying a Master in Asian studies plus my two years girlfriend is from Japan.

I am sorry challenging your status quo but I was trying to contribute constructively to this subject.
I don`t mind contribution. But I do mind that *you* are not the one doing the contribution - you`re simply mindlessly quoting passages.
Tatemae / honne is important - but not NEARLY as important as the western media and publications try to push it as. Seriously, it`s a concept present in ANY culture. Take away the fancy terminology - "Sometimes saying the truth would make things more complicated, so I`ll just go along with the flow until things look like they`d go in my favor. I sure hope someone picks up on the clues I drop so that will happen sooner." Not such a foreign or hard to comprehend concept now, is it?

It`s truly no different than dealing with someone you don`t like, while hoping they (or someone else around with the power to "rescue" you) will pick up the hint. Or accepting the food you don`t like, while staring longingly at the one you do. Elevating it with pretty names and presenting it as this mysterious foreign concept does no one any favors. Especially when you`re quoting from a text in regard to business that is 20 some years out of date.

And if you want to push and put up qualifications... *sigh* -
I`ve lived in Japan 10 years, married to a Japanese guy for 8 of them, have a degree in linguistics (language acquisition) and a degree in cultural studies. Both received in Japan at a Japanese university. Also, JLPT 1.

But I really don`t see how that has anything to do with pointing out that information pertaining to business dealings from a 20 some year old book isn`t really valid at the moment.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

Mmm - 02-06-2009, 01:06 AM

Before we run, we must learn to walk.

Basic concepts first. Dont assume that everybody knows about Japan here. There are first timers that read these posts out of curiosity. People from other countries.

We are learning together about Japan. Thats all it matters.

We are exchanging thoughts...are we on this together?

Freedom to think is essential element in learning process.

You can kick my Hara but I will stand for my thoughts.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

Nyorori - 02-06-2009, 01:11 AM

Not everybody thinks like you. You must respect other people thoughts.

What I said might be useless to you but for another person might mean a spark of curiosity and genuine interest in Japanese culture.

Respect is very important.

As long as I respect everybody, I can speak up my mind.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-06-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Basic concepts first. Dont assume that everybody knows about Japan here. There are first timers that read these posts out of curiosity. People from other countries.
This is exactly why I am saying that you shouldn`t be quoting 20 some year old books, which are not "basics" nor all that valid at this point in time.

If you want to continue to say they are, then I should be able to pull out some book from the early 80s about business practices in some other country and say it is valid. We all know that it`s most likely not.

I will go no further on this, but if you want to post "your thoughts" - post your thoughts. Not quote after quote with no original contribution.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

Nyorori - 02-06-2009, 01:14 AM

Very simply put...

Take a dictionary and define "Forum" and pay attention to the origin of that work in ancient history.

Do it
(#28 (permalink))
Old
thalia4 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Location: Somewhere in the world maybe JP. " A fatal attraction to CUTENESS" HL
02-06-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
its not a matter of race, its a matter of how the person acts.

If a white male for example goes to japan and acts like a totally dick shouting gaijin smash and acting like hes gods gift to japanese women.

then yea not many people are gonna take to kindly to ya.

not saying EVERY one acts like that, it was just an example, so relax.

just know when you visit another country you represent the country you come from and you should act properly.

main reason why some japanese maybe "unkind to foreigners" is that SOME people dont bother to learn the customs or etiquette of japan, and consider them to be rude.

lets just toss up a random crazy scenario.

say i am from Country A

and you are from country B

I come to country B into your area and start throwing up peace signs and speaking loudly and taking pictures of every thing.

lets say in country B
the peace sign is the symbol for F' You
and speaking loudly in public is considered rude
and taking pictures of people is considered rude with out their permission.

You would associate all people from Country A are rude and generally be unkind to them.

see what i mean?

it really boils down to person.

im not sayin there is NO racism in Japan.

but Generally every one is very kind and polite.
and you have nothing to worry about, as long as you act accordingly
Great Disscusion Housetek, good scenerio!

Abdc
*Quest Crew & Beat Freaks*
*Fan of the Cocky Guys & So real*
*GACKT FAN CLUB ME & VAMPIRE CLAN*
NARUTO FAN CLUB FAMILY
Me(sakura), Narutoluvr(misa),zachart(Ichigo),ariana,Silveremperial(sora)kiyuga(nara),sm ilexfreak7( vampire princess),xrachellex (Miyuki),rukamency,lulu,totorono,Auran,Orihimegirl,katchan6 (mello),Sakurasan, KittyKyo,drummachick
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-06-2009, 04:06 AM

Interesting words being spoken in here and I had wanted to post for a good while but Nyororin and Niknaizorai were rather much engaged in their discussion but it seems to have been settled now.

I would say this type discussion is quite tricky and honestly one of the most useful tips i can give is do not have a chip on your shoulder. Most would do good to remember that when you are in Japan YOU ARE IN JAPAN which means follow the rules even if they inconvenience because in the end its easier on you. So you get stopped by 3 different police officers who all ask for your passport or your alien registration card its not going to hurt you to take out and if you are caught without it then whose fault is it?

Profiling happens everyday in many different countries a Japanese police officer stopping you because you are a foreigner is no different than say a white cop pulling over a driver in the US because hes black or Latino or an Arab. I deal with foreigners everyday at my job and i will admit sometimes its gets a little frustrating and i will admit majority of the frustrating ones are Asian some Korean some Chinese some Japanese and some have a very large chip on their shoulder for not being citizens. My language partner is from Osaka and she is loving it here because of all the different type of people she gets to meet. She says should never get to meet this many different type of people in Japan she has not experienced any type of racism since she has been here except for the occasional why cant Asians drive comment but she laughs that off now.

I have been subjected to stares on trips to Japan because i was a foreigner and i completely ignored it because i knew they were not looking at me because they hated me (at least I hope not) but because i was different because i was foreigner. I have only been stopped once by the police and its was very routine Americans are use to seeing different races and creeds of people everyday its the norm and one of the things i love about this country. The percentage of foreigners in Japan is small some people could go years without seeing a foreigner in real life. But i am always puzzled when i get asked do Americans hate the Japanese. I mean thats a hard one to get to the meat about.

Show respect and learn the language this will make things easier on you if someone does happen to approach you. Its not always about race its about how you present yourself. If your going to be an ass then dont expect a Japanese person to associate with you or show you the time of day. If someone has had a bad experience in Japan then that sucks many foreigners have had a terrible time when visiting the US. I wish there would be a day where discussion like this wouldn't be nesscary for any country but we dont live in such a world where someone is judged on their actions only.

Do some studying and learn what you can do to make things easier on yourself in Japan you are going to stand out there is nothing you can do about that but you can at least be prepared just encase an incident does occur.

(#30 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-06-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would much rather read your words than long quotes you copy and pasted.
Seconded. Reading a person's post that quotes wholesale from a book is like a shirt box covered in icing. It may look like a cake, but it really isn't.

Quote:
Very simply put...

Take a dictionary and define "Forum" and pay attention to the origin of that work in ancient history.

Do it
Exercise for you: Look up "ignore" in the same dictionary. Do it. *I* am.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 02-06-2009 at 04:26 AM.