JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
orien90 (Offline)
New to JF

Foreigners in japan - 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM

How do the people generally react to tourists/foriegners in Japan? Ive heard that they dont really like to associate with 'non japanese' people. I dont know if its true, so I figured Id ask here. And I know ofc that some people like tourists and some dont. But I just thought in general; locals, at hotels/restaurant, clubs etc.
Hoping for some good replies : )
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Don't be surprised if this thread gets merged with another as this topic has come up before.

I would say in general I disagree with the notion that Japanese don't like to associate with foreigners. Of course there is a certain percentage of the population that don't but there are easily and equal number that have no problem with interacting with foreigners.

You won't likely find those that don't like foreigners in positions where they would have to. If this is something you are worried about, I would say "You have nothing to worry about."
(#3 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Some Japanese dislike foreigners just like some foreigners dislike Japanese. I found most to be very friendly though.
I would just caution foreigners about working for Japanese companies. They expect you to act like a Japanese worker even though you aren't.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM

I lived in Sapporo, Hokkaido, and I didn't have any issues with racism at all. Everyone seemed pretty nice.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-05-2009, 04:46 AM

I think the more accurate way to say it would be that "A lot of Japanese don`t like associating outside of the language they`re comfortable in - Japanese."

The majority of foreigners in Japan are tourists and cannot speak Japanese. Even most of those who aren`t tourists are short timers (1 year English teachers) and they also usually can`t speak much if any Japanese. So experience tells the average Japanese person that if they approach and start speaking to someone who looks like they aren`t Japanese - foreign language communication awaits. So unless they have some strong interest in improving a language they`re studying (99% of the time English), they`re not going to put themselves into that sort of stressful situation.

Once it was clear that I could speak Japanese fluently, I never had any problems associating with people or getting them to associate with me.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
02-05-2009, 04:49 AM

its not a matter of race, its a matter of how the person acts.

If a white male for example goes to japan and acts like a totally dick shouting gaijin smash and acting like hes gods gift to japanese women.

then yea not many people are gonna take to kindly to ya.

not saying EVERY one acts like that, it was just an example, so relax.

just know when you visit another country you represent the country you come from and you should act properly.

main reason why some japanese maybe "unkind to foreigners" is that SOME people dont bother to learn the customs or etiquette of japan, and consider them to be rude.

lets just toss up a random crazy scenario.

say i am from Country A

and you are from country B

I come to country B into your area and start throwing up peace signs and speaking loudly and taking pictures of every thing.

lets say in country B
the peace sign is the symbol for F' You
and speaking loudly in public is considered rude
and taking pictures of people is considered rude with out their permission.

You would associate all people from Country A are rude and generally be unkind to them.

see what i mean?

it really boils down to person.

im not sayin there is NO racism in Japan.

but Generally every one is very kind and polite.
and you have nothing to worry about, as long as you act accordingly

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-05-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think the more accurate way to say it would be that "A lot of Japanese don`t like associating outside of the language they`re comfortable in - Japanese."

The majority of foreigners in Japan are tourists and cannot speak Japanese. Even most of those who aren`t tourists are short timers (1 year English teachers) and they also usually can`t speak much if any Japanese. So experience tells the average Japanese person that if they approach and start speaking to someone who looks like they aren`t Japanese - foreign language communication awaits. So unless they have some strong interest in improving a language they`re studying (99% of the time English), they`re not going to put themselves into that sort of stressful situation.

Once it was clear that I could speak Japanese fluently, I never had any problems associating with people or getting them to associate with me.
Agreed. Pretty well said. It's not really the fact that Japanese people don't like foreigners, it's simply the communication barrier that they don't like.

(to sum up his post in one sentence ^ )

猿も木から落ちる
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-05-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
(to sum up his post in one sentence ^ )
これでも女なのだが?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ameerah (Offline)
New to JF

02-05-2009, 10:02 AM

I agree, I don't think it's only Japan that acts this way. Some people visit a country without researching it's culture, and get pissed when people are looking at them funny.

Nyororin you're right. Communication is the key, but some people are so ignorant that they assume the whole world speaks English, i've had people accuse Germans of being racist because they couldn't understand English, only they made up silly excuses like "They understand English, but don't want to respond". What a joke.

My best advice is, don't listen to what people have to say. Go and visit the place and have your own experience.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameerah View Post
I agree, I don't think it's only Japan that acts this way. Some people visit a country without researching it's culture, and get pissed when people are looking at them funny.

Nyororin you're right. Communication is the key, but some people are so ignorant that they assume the whole world speaks English, i've had people accuse Germans of being racist because they couldn't understand English, only they made up silly excuses like "They understand English, but don't want to respond". What a joke.

My best advice is, don't listen to what people have to say. Go and visit the place and have your own experience.
Well, thats what he is doing, researching

I agree with everyone. I've experienced both sides: Those who welcome me, and those who rejects me.

First, there are WAY more Japanese who welcome a foreigner than those who will reject it, at least in most "tourist centric" area, that is definitely the case.

Secondly, to the side that rejects me, well, they reject me not because they don't like me, the rejection came mostly from the assumptions (their assumption) that they won't be able to communicate with me.

Of course there will also be the case with random Yakuza who carried the great samurai spirit from the Edo time frame who believe in driving out the foreigners, but thats just a niche percentage

Housetek made a good point, when you enter someone's country, as long as you act respectful and stick to activities that is socially acceptable locally, you should be fine. Just don't do anything that will give reasons for people to hate you. One example, will be the incident at Tsukiji, they now banned tourist from entering Tsukiji, thanks to a few individual who decide to act like an idiot: Tokyo fish market bars tourists | World news | The Guardian

So, as long as you don't do anything outrageous to give people a reason to hate you, you should be fine