JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
lmfx (Offline)
New to JF

12-10-2006, 09:08 PM

I didn't read all the replies, but I heard that the castles in Japan were great. Anyone visit those before and like them?

My Top 5 Asian Honeys
BoA Kwon!
Hyori Lee
Song Hye Kyo
Miwa Oshiro

AND can't forget....
Aya Ueto
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

12-10-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmfx View Post
I didn't read all the replies, but I heard that the castles in Japan were great. Anyone visit those before and like them?
i only really saw Nijo castle; was really cool, but we couldnt take pictures inside ( TT_TT ) and walking around without shoes on, on the worn-down wooden floors started to hurt after a while; but the gardens were beautiful =3

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#43 (permalink))
Old
craigdesu (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Take me to Japan info site - 12-11-2006, 01:41 AM

Here is a web site that has all the info you need about Japan. There are links to the JR pass that was mention here. http//www.takemetojapan.com
You should get a 1 week pass, you will be able to travel all over the country with it,I believe they cost around $400 US
Have fun,
Craig
(#44 (permalink))
Old
tamago (Offline)
New to JF

12-11-2006, 06:05 AM

nijo was cool...

the kyoto temples are all the same..with i guess the exception of kinkakuji - which is gold plated...

if youre in kansai, you should make a stop at nara which has a ton of deer just chilling on the street..also, if you have time, hit kobe for the best beef youll ever taste in your life (my recommendation is a place called wakoku (和黒) basically in the same complex as the shin kobe station - which is accessible by shinkansen - my lunch was about 2500 yen [or about 20-25usd])

osaka is nice, but its hard to spend more than a few days there since there really isnt too much to do outside dotombori (a famous street in osaka with lots of stuff)...if youre really into castles, himeji is nice, its really out of the way (about 4000 yen total from osaka area), but its worth going to at least once i guess...

as for lodging in general, i highly recommend youth hostels...the best site i found for booking is here: Hostelling International
but be aware that they typically have curfews (usually 10-11pm)..so dont expect a nightlife...if you want to roam the city at night, youre better off looking for a cheap business hotel...ive heard of prices as low as 1500/night (in diminishing quality of course...)

id write about tokyo..but i wonder if anyone will read this and i didnt read the previous replies -_-
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Wakela (Offline)
New to JF

12-13-2006, 02:59 AM

I can't believe no one has mentioned Kamakura. It's only about an hour from Tokyo. Kamakura was the capital of Japan in the 1200s, so there are lots of ancient temples and shrines. Also while Kyoto is a bustling metropolis, Kamakura is a quiet, sleepy suburb. There are even hiking courses in the surrounding forest.

Regarding the rail pass, it's not worth it if you plan on spending all your time in and around one city. It starts to pay for itself when you take a trip, Tok to Kyot, for example.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Offline)
Tired Philosopher...

Send a message via Yahoo to SamuraiAlchemistNinja
Question 01-20-2007, 11:56 PM

Is Nagasaki worth seeing?

I'm pretty content with life right now....For the most part, anyway....Well, at least, I'm pretty sure I am....
(#47 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

01-31-2007, 05:42 AM

for temp phone: softbank formerly vodafone, has already a prepaid cellfone available. The unit ranges from 5000yen to 7000yen and then just buy a load of 2000yen and your ready to go...
(#48 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

01-31-2007, 06:24 AM

In Kyoto:
Hien Shrine - for me the best time to visit is during spring, the
flower ( cherry blossoms ) will be in bloom that time.
Otemon ( the big gate ) - the gate looks like a very big yen symbol , the name actually mean the "big gate"
Arashiyama - love it there especially during autumn and spring
Fushimi Inari Taisha - if you have seen the movie "Sayuri" or "memoirs of a geisha", this was the temple were she ran , the one with lots of gates.

Himeji area:
Himeji Castle -
Mt. Shousha - great area, like you were in old Japan. Here u can find temples , very old temples and resting place of the imperial family ( i think it was the Honda family ). This was also one the location for the movie "Last Samurai "

Mie -Ken
Ninja Village - in Iga-Ueno. dress up like a ninja and visit a ninja house.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
saikyo (Offline)
New to JF

02-02-2007, 04:46 PM

Hida Takayama is also a great trip in Japan!
Lots of culture and old architecture.

JapanNewbie.com

My iPhone is loaded with Japanese study Apps
Japanese Study Apps for iPhone
(#50 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2007, 12:08 PM

I wonder if the cherry blossoms will still be there by the end of March...

I heard that there's a silver temple in Kyoto and that it's nicer than the golden temple...I wonder if I could just scratch off the gold so I could stay for a month longer and not starve to death...