JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#111 (permalink))
Old
nisa (Offline)
dancing in the rain

Send a message via Yahoo to nisa
08-15-2008, 05:14 AM

Thanks, Jeshika!! I've been waiting so long to know about Curry recipe. Japanese Curry is so spicy, and I love it.. ありがとうございます

明日晴れるかな。。はるか空の下。。
(#112 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
Tempura - 09-06-2008, 09:05 PM

Ingredients:

* Tempura batter mix*
* Tempura dipping sauce*
* Prawn: raw and large
* Seafood: almost everything is possible
* Vegetables: pumpkin, carot, sweet potatoe, eggplant, and more
* Mushrooms
* and much more to try.

* This ingredient may not be available in Western supermarkets, but you should be able to find it in Japanese grocery stores that exist in most large European and American cities.

Preparation:

0. Prawn: Remove the head and the shell. Make little cuts on the inside of the curved prawn since they look nicer if their posture is straight.
1. Cut the vegetables in about 1cm thick pieces.
2. You can use whole mushrooms.
Mixtures: Cut various ingredients in small pieces and mix them together, eg. green onion, prawn and carots.
4. Mix Tempura flour with the amount of water described on the package. Do not mix it completely, but leave some small lumps in it.
5. Cover all the ingredients completely with the batter.
Mix also the mixtures made of the small cut ingredients with batter, and try to deep fry it together. Don't let them fall apart in all the pieces.
6. Deep fry at 180 degrees celsius. Be careful, and do not use wet ingredients because the water would react strongly with the hot oil, which may harm your skin or eyes.
When the Tempura pieces are beautifully golden, take them out, and try to remove as much oil as possible.

Serving and eating:

There are a few different ways to serve Tempura. Here are two of them:

* Serve the Tempura pieces on a plate, and prepare some bowls with Tempura dipping sauce.
* Tendon (Tempura Donburi): Put the pieces in Tempura dipping sauce, remove them, and put them on top of cooked rice in a bowl. (One bowl per person)

This is a really popular dish.
Anybody have alternate ways of making?

(from Japan-guide.com)

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question

Last edited by CarleyGee : 09-06-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Font Change
(#113 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Yakitori - 09-12-2008, 02:18 AM

Yakitori is grilled chicken speared on sticks. All different parts of the chicken, thighs, skin, liver, etc. can be used for yakitori. The following recipe shows one of the most popular kind which is prepared with chicken thighs and leek.

Ingrediants :

* Chicken thighs: without bone and skin
* Japanese leek (negi*), leek, or green onion
* Soya sauce
* Mirin* or sake*
* Sugar
* Honey or maple syrup
* Small wooden spears

* This ingredient may not be available in Western supermarkets, but you should be able to find it in Japanese grocery stores that exist in most large European and American cities.

Preparation:

Mix together 4 tablespoons of soya sauce, 3 tablespoons of sugar, a little bit of honey or maple syrup, a little bit of mirin and water, and heat it up until it's homogenous.
Cut the chicken thighs into about 3x2x2cm large pieces.
Put the chicken pieces into the already prepared sauce, and let it stand for a while.
4. Cut the leek or green onions in about 3 cm long pieces.
Spear three or four pieces of chicken and some leek on each wooden stick.
6. Grill them, or use the oven at 200 degrees celsius. (You may want to wrap the wooden sticks with aluminium foil; otherwise, they may burn off.)

Japan-guide.com is where I got recipe.
This looks delicious.

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

Ask me any question
(#114 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Korokke - Japanese Croquettes - 09-14-2008, 04:22 AM

Korokke - Japanese Croquettes

Korokke is not an original Japanese dish. There are many different kinds of korokke today, varying in their fillings. The recipe below introduces you two of the most popular kinds of korokke: white cream korokke and meat potatoe korokke.

Ingredients:

* White Cream Filling
o Butter
o Flour
o Milk
o Canned corn
* Meat potatoe filling
o Potatoes
o Ground beef or pork
o Onion
* Other Ingredients
o Flour
o Eggs
o Bread crumbs
o Korokke sauce*
o Japanese mayonnaise*
o Cabbage

* May not be available in Western supermarkets; but you should be able to find it in Japanese grocery stores that exist in most large European and American cities.

Preparation:

White cream filling:

Melt the butter in a fry pan and add flour.
Add the milk and stir until the sauce becomes homogenous.
Wait until the white mass is very viscose and add the canned corn.
Give the cream into a rectangular dish and put it into the refrigerator for several minutes where it should become more solid.

Potatoe meat filling:

5. Cook the potatoes and smash them.
6. Fry the ground meat with cut onions, and then remove as much oil as possible.
Mix the meat, the onions, and the smashed potatoes, and add a little bit of salt.

Deep Frying:

8. Form the meat potatoe mixture into hamburger like pieces with a diameter of about 6 cm and a thickness of about 1 cm.
Cut or form the white cream in pieces of about 2x2x4 cm. The rectangular dish should haven given the cream the desired form and makes the cutting easier.
Put one piece after the other first in the flour and cover all its surface. Then cover it with beaten raw egg, and finally with bread crumbs.
Deep fry the korokke pieces until they are beautiful golden.
12. Cut some green outer cabbage leafs in thin strings.

Serving and eating:

Put the green cabbage and the golden korokke pieces on a plate, and eat it with korokke sauce and mayonnaise.

General information:

In Japan you can buy single pieces of korokke warm in convenience stores and supermarkets. Because the preparation of korokke requires quite much effort, it's rarely done at home.

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

Ask me any question

Last edited by CarleyGee : 09-14-2008 at 03:56 PM.
(#115 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Jakopi Tofu - 09-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Jakopi Tofu is one of dozens of Japanese tofu dishes. It is tofu covered by a topping made of small chirimenjako fish and peanuts. It is a side dish that can be prepared within five minutes.

Ingredients:

* 2 blocks of soft tofu
* 40g of dried chirimenjako* (anchovies)
* 50g peanuts or almonds
* Green onions
* 10ml sesame seeds
* 5ml sesame oil

* May not be available in Western supermarkets; but you should be able to find it in Japanese grocery stores that exist in most large European and American cities.

Preparation:

1. Cut green onion and peanuts in small pieces.
2. Heat up sesame oil in a fry pan.
Add peanuts and chirimenjako into the pan.
After about two minutes, add the green onions and sesame seeds into the pan.
After friying for another two to three minutes, spread the Jakopi on the tofu and serve. Add soya sauce as you like.

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

Ask me any question
(#116 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Gyoza - 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM

Gyoza - Japanese style dumplins

Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish, which has become very popular across Japan. This recipe shows how to make the gyoza dough and the gyoza filling. The time consuming and difficult part of making of the dough can be skipped by buying premade dough pieces, which are available at some Japanese and Chinese grocery stores.

Ingredients:

(for 30 Gyoza)

* Dough:
o 170 mL water
o 200 g strong flour

* Filling:
o 200 g ground pork
o Cabbage
o Nira*: can be substituted by leek or green onion
o Leek or Green onion
o Garlic
o Ginger
o Sake*
o Soya sauce, salt, and pepper
o Sesame oil

* Dipping Sauce:
o Soya sauce
o Vinegar

Preparation:

Dough:

Mix the water and the flour to a dough that should not be sticky but as soft as an ear lobe.
2. Put a wet towel over the dough, and let it stand for several minutes.
Separate the dough in 30 pieces, and form each of them to very thin discs with a diameter of about 10 cm. The middle of each disc should be a little bit thicker than the edge.

Filling:

4. Cut some green, outer cabbage leaves, some green onion (or leek), nira, ginger, and garlic in very small pieces. The amount of these ingredients should equal the amount of meat. Do it as you like.
5. Put some salt on the cabbage, and let it stand for five minutes. Then press the water out of the cabbage pieces.
Mix the cabbage, green onion (or leek), nira, ginger, garlic, and the ground pork all together, and add some salt, pepper, soya sauce, sake, and sesame oil. Mix it all very well.

Making and frying the Gyoza:

Put some of the filling onto a piece of dough. Remember that the filling should suffice for 30 gyoza pieces.
Moisten the edge of the dough with water. Moisten only a semicircle, not all the way around.
Close the gyoza. While closing it, fold the edge about 6 times as shown on the image.
Put the gyoza on the table as shown in the image.
11. Fry the Gyoza in a little bit of hot oil until the bottom is brownish, then add water so that the gyoza are in the water with about half of their hight.
12. Keep the high heat and wait until all the water has vaporized. Then remove the gyoza from the heat.
13. Dipping sauce: Mix the same amounts of soya sauce and vinegar together.

Serving and eating:

Eat gyoza pieces after dipping them in the dipping sauce.

General information:

In China dumplins are usually eaten either steamed, fried or in a soup. Japanese gyoza, however, are usually fried. There are many kinds of fillings used, e.g. with different seafood instead of the meat, other vegetable, etc.

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

Ask me any question
(#117 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Okonomiyaki - 09-20-2008, 02:58 AM

Okonomiyaki is a mixture between pancake and pizza. "Okonomi" means "as you like". This refers to the ingredients.

Ingredients:

* Dough
o 300 g flour
o 210 ml water
o 2 eggs
o Cabbage
* Possible ingredients to put into/onto Okonomiyaki
o Katsuobushi*: Dried, shaved benito (katsuo)
o Aonori*: Green, dried seaweed.
o Leek or green onion
o Beef: thinly sliced or ground
o Pork: thinly sliced or ground
o Chicken: breast filets
o Octopus*
o Squid*
o Prawn
o Tuna
o Mushrooms
o and much more...
* Sauces
o Brown okonomiyaki sauce*
o Mayonnaise

Preparation:

Cut four large, green cabbage leaves without the hard, white core in thin strings (ca. 4 mm).
2. Mix the water, flour, eggs and the cabbage strings together.
3. You may now add more ingredients to the dough: e.g. seafood, cut in little pieces, ground meat, cut mushrooms, etc.
Fry the dough like a pancake in a small frying pan.
Before turning the okonomiyaki over, and while the dough is still quite soft, you may put other ingredients on top of the dough.
6. Turn the okonomiyaki.
7. When fried well, serve the okonomiyaki with katsuobushi, aonori, mayonnaise and okonomiyaki sauce.

General information:

Depending on the region of Japan, okonomiyaki is prepared in various different styles. In Hiroshima, which is especially well known for its Okonomiyaki, it is served with or on top of Yakisoba (fried noodles).

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

Ask me any question
(#118 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
09-20-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarleyGee View Post

Yakitori is grilled chicken speared on sticks. All different parts of the chicken, thighs, skin, liver, etc. can be used for yakitori. The following recipe shows one of the most popular kind which is prepared with chicken thighs and leek.

Ingrediants :

* Chicken thighs: without bone and skin
* Japanese leek (negi*), leek, or green onion
* Soya sauce
* Mirin* or sake*
* Sugar
* Honey or maple syrup
* Small wooden spears

Preparation:

Mix together 4 tablespoons of soya sauce, 3 tablespoons of sugar, a little bit of honey or maple syrup, a little bit of mirin and water, and heat it up until it's homogenous.
Cut the chicken thighs into about 3x2x2cm large pieces.
Put the chicken pieces into the already prepared sauce, and let it stand for a while.
4. Cut the leek or green onions in about 3 cm long pieces.
Spear three or four pieces of chicken and some leek on each wooden stick.
6. Grill them, or use the oven at 200 degrees celsius. (You may want to wrap the wooden sticks with aluminium foil; otherwise, they may burn off.)

Japan-guide.com is where I got recipe.
This looks delicious.
Better yet >.>''
1. Omit the Honey. There's already sugar there AND the Mirin. Adding honey just Americanises the dish.
2. It's better of you baste the chicken while cooking it over a flame or charcoal.... just letting chicken marinate for a few minutes isn't going to do anything but leave you with tasteless chicken >.>'
3. Yakitori means shiny chicken =3
not "skewered chicken"
4. Recipe TOTALLY omits the soaking of the skewers in water for atleast 30 minutes prior too cooking in order to prevent scorching of the wood >.>
5. Don't use "SOYA" sauce. it's bad for you. Instead opt for a more natural "soy" sauce ^_^
6. American supermarkets now a days are a bit better equipped with foreign ingredients than your recipe suggests >.>'

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#119 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

09-20-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:

Korokke - Japanese Croquettes

Korokke is not an original Japanese dish. There are many different kinds of korokke today, varying in their fillings. The recipe below introduces you two of the most popular kinds of korokke: white cream korokke and meat potatoe korokke.

Ingredients:

* White Cream Filling
o Butter
o Flour
o Milk
o Canned corn
* Meat potatoe filling
o Potatoes
o Ground beef or pork
o Onion
* Other Ingredients
o Flour
o Eggs
o Bread crumbs
o Korokke sauce*
o Japanese mayonnaise*
o Cabbage

Preparation:

White cream filling:

Melt the butter in a fry pan and add flour.
Add the milk and stir until the sauce becomes homogenous.
Wait until the white mass is very viscose and add the canned corn.
Give the cream into a rectangular dish and put it into the refrigerator for several minutes where it should become more solid.

Potatoe meat filling:

5. Cook the potatoes and smash them.
6. Fry the ground meat with cut onions, and then remove as much oil as possible.
Mix the meat, the onions, and the smashed potatoes, and add a little bit of salt.

Deep Frying:

8. Form the meat potatoe mixture into hamburger like pieces with a diameter of about 6 cm and a thickness of about 1 cm.
Cut or form the white cream in pieces of about 2x2x4 cm. The rectangular dish should haven given the cream the desired form and makes the cutting easier.
Put one piece after the other first in the flour and cover all its surface. Then cover it with beaten raw egg, and finally with bread crumbs.
Deep fry the korokke pieces until they are beautiful golden.
12. Cut some green outer cabbage leafs in thin strings.

Serving and eating:

Put the green cabbage and the golden korokke pieces on a plate, and eat it with korokke sauce and mayonnaise.

General information:

In Japan you can buy single pieces of korokke warm in convenience stores and supermarkets. Because the preparation of korokke requires quite much effort, it's rarely done at home.
tonkotsu sauce works wonders on croquettes
>.>

(#120 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

09-20-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:

General information:

In China dumplins are usually eaten either steamed, fried or in a soup. Japanese gyoza, however, are usually fried. There are many kinds of fillings used, e.g. with different seafood instead of the meat, other vegetable, etc.

Funny....

Fried dumplings are called gyoza....
Steamed dumplings are called shumai....
>.>'''
In Nihongo of course =3