JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
smallandmighty444 (Offline)
New to JF

need help with particle ni.........clear as mud........ - 09-20-2007, 04:37 AM

For me, particles are the most difficult aspect of the language for me to learn grammatically. I try to understand them and I end up more confused.
Another problem I have is that the definitions given to described how the particles are used is too complex for me. I have to "translate" the definition given into a simpler definition that I understand.

I have just started learning grammar in Japanese and as said earlier, Japanese particles are really hard for me to understand. Japanese grammar is already difficult enough for me, and the fact that I really struggle with this part of grammar the most, exacerbates things. One more note. I'm teaching myself Japanese. I'm not promoting the website. I need as many resources as I can with learning Japanese, and I've found the links to this website on the Japanese language to be very useful.

If Somebody could please give clarity on what these definitions mean on the usage of this particle, I would appreciate it. I'm currently taking notes on the particle ni. So I'll post the descriptions the website gives.

I would have put the link to the website there, but for some reason when I copy and paste the link to the website on my post, it doesn't appear on my post. If you like you can do this.

go to a website called about.com
Type in "particles in Japanese" (omit quotes) and press go.

OR: you can type in Japanese grammar in the search box. The link at the top of the page (it's in small letters in light blue and underlined) will take you to a new page that says Grammar/Expressions and then below that Lessons. Below that heading you will find a ton of links in light blue lettering that are underlined. Click on the one that says particles. There you will find a link in light blue lettering underlined that says "ni"; click on it.

Ni:

Location of Existence

"Ni" is typically used with verbs such as "iru (to exist)," "aru (to exist)" and "sumu (to live)." It translates into "at" or "in."

I am assuming this means (based on the context of the sentence) that
ni is used to tell where something is located (ex:the cat is under the bed, the vase is on the table)

DIRECT CONTACT:
"Ni" is used when a motion or action is directed at or onto an object or place.

I don't understand what this definition means at all. If somebody could give me a simpler definition of what this means, so that I can understand, that would really help. By simpler definition, I mean a less ambiguous description; a clearer description of the usage of "ni" with direct contact. What does it mean when it refers to using "ni" in direct contact?

DIRECTION:

"Ni" can be translated as "to" when indicating a destination.

I assume this means one of two things. Where you're going (or where you're not going, or where you went) or as the title says what direction you're going to get somewhere (north, south, east, or west).

Purpose

Again, no clue what it means with this usage of "ni". It doesn't give any description as to how the particle "ni" correlates with the usage of purpose. It just gives some example, which really doesn't help any. I am guessing when ni is used with purpose (unsure of what that really means) it's why you're doing something????

Source

"Ni" indicates an agent or a source in passive or causative verbs. It translates into "by" or "from".

Don't understand the definition given of how it's used with source. The definition given is too complicated for me to understand, and I need the above description "translated" into a definition I can understand.

There are only two requests I ask. You can give examples if you want, but that's not mandatory. When you give a definition as to how ni is used, please give a specific yet simple definition (one I can understand, but not so simple that it's vague).

Last edited by smallandmighty444 : 09-20-2007 at 04:54 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Taranee987 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Taranee987 Send a message via Yahoo to Taranee987 Send a message via Skype™ to Taranee987
Question Hmm? - 09-20-2007, 07:10 AM

Okey i'm not sure if i can help you translate but i can give you this link Web Japan : Top Page if you go to this page you got too.

Kids web japan there you will fin a beginner course in japanese for free and you can also learn how to write katakana, hirgana and kanji. I hope this can help you a bit on your way

I have self studied japanese for almost a year now this was the first page i started to learn japanese from i also watch lot's of anime whit japanese voices and mostly english sub/text ^_^ ne gambaruso (let's do our best)

Are you nice to people they usually are nice back
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Farox (Offline)
New to JF

09-21-2007, 09:25 AM

Hey, I'm currently studying Japanese in univeristy and have been for the past year, so far with the partical 'Ni' we've mainly been told that it can be used to replace the particle 'he' as in to go to places, e.g:

watashi wa tokyo ni ikimasshita
watashi wa tokyo he ikimashita

these to sentences have exactly the same meaning 'I went to tokyo'

Ni is also used with verbs where you sending and recieving and indicated who or what something is going to i.e:

Ms.Sato gave a book to Mr.Yamada - Satou-san wa Yamada-san ni hon wo agemashita

Mr.Yamada recievied a book from Ms.Sato - Yamada-san wa Sato-san ni hon wo moraimashita

I think with some particles they can be used in many ways that when learning the language you just have to accept them that they are there, we get told that particles act like the 'sign posts' in a sentence, I think with learning the particle you should just learn the verbs which usually go with it, thats how i seem to have done it really. Sorry not really much of a definition there, but hoped it helped a little.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Seiryuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2007, 01:13 AM

Wouldn't the last example use "kara" instead of "ni"?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-22-2007, 01:42 AM

Good point, Seiryuu. But the Japanese do say '(someone) ni morau' very often. I 'd say that we probably use 'ni' in that phrase more often than 'kara'. I am not saying that using 'kara' is wrong at all but to the Japanese ear, 'ni' sounds considerably softer.