LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-01-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
If you're viewing it for the fighting styles, which there are plenty of, and if you're as knowledgeable of styles as you appear to be Tenchu, you'll have fun identifying them as there is a distinct one for each "element".
I don't really care much for the martial art content; I like the martial art theme. It's the fantasy that provides me with my entertainment. Yet realisticness is always a good thing.

Anyway, thanx for the response. I'm downloading the whole thing. I'll post back in a week and tell if I liked it or not when it's finished coming through.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-01-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I can't get over the fact that they didn't cast any Asians.

When you create a world inspired by Asian culture and mythology you should probably use Asian people.

I mean it would be like if they cast black people or asian people in Lord of the Rings. (Fantasy inspired by European culture and mythology)
LOL

I've seen that before, actually. With a black guy in a traditional fantasy theme world. But I can't remember where, yet it did seem out of place.

Also, I always have trouble in Final Fantasy telling if the characters are Asian or Whites, or half half? But I guess it matters less there, because the world is so unique.

I know this movie is based on Earth themes, yet is it actually set on planet Earth, or a mythical planet?

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#13 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
09-02-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I can't get over the fact that they didn't cast any Asians.

When you create a world inspired by Asian culture and mythology you should probably use Asian people.

I mean it would be like if they cast black people or asian people in Lord of the Rings. (Fantasy inspired by European culture and mythology)
I wish that they would've cast Dante Basco as Zuko and maybe that Gogo chick as Azula. They should've had an all asian cast. I'm pissed.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-02-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post

I know this movie is based on Earth themes, yet is it actually set on planet Earth, or a mythical planet?
The geography is clearly not the same (sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, I feel as if I am...) but it is more or less "Earth".

Quote:
I'm sorry... my familiarity with Asian cultures means that I won't be able to watch this without cringeing. (Unless they've radically redesigned the world in the movie that is)
Well, it is going to be different from the original series, or at least, that's what the promotional and set pictures seem to indicate.

Quote:
I wish that they would've cast Dante Basco as Zuko and maybe that Gogo chick as Azula. They should've had an all asian cast. I'm pissed.
Here we go... First of all, Dante Basco does NOT look as young as he used to. There is no way in hell he could pass for a teenager. And yes, simply because there were clearly Asian influences does not mean that it is necessary for an "all asian" cast. If you want to be culturally accurate, why would you cast Katara and Sokka (who appear to be Inuits) as Asians?

And as this series takes place in a fictional world, no one is "Asian" or "Caucasian" (Should I use that word? I heard it was racist) or "African American" or "Inuit". Their skin color is not what drove the viewers to like the characters. You know what? Aang doesn't look Asian to me. But then again, that's my opinion.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-02-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
"African American"
LOL

Yeah, they should have "African-Americans" in it...

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-02-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
LOL

Yeah, they should have "African-Americans" in it...
Probably just shoe-horning them in despite not one being present during the show. Political correctness
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-02-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Probably just shoe-horning them in despite not one being present during the show. Political correctness
Do you still have to call them "African-Americans" in fantasy world, or is "black" and "negro" acceptable?

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-02-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Do you still have to call them "African-Americans" in fantasy world, or is "black" and "negro" acceptable?
I normally refer to them as black, but a certain someone may be lurking around... As for your question, who the hell knows?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Yes, it is animated by Koreans,
75% of American cartoons are drawn in South Korea. It's not a trade secret these days compare to 13~15 years ago.

Quote:
but the story plot is American made.
Of very diverse sources. But this American cartoon still reminds me of an anime series called Fushigi Yuugi minus the borderline adult themes.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Kyedhen (Offline)
New to JF

09-02-2009, 12:33 PM

I thought Avatar was good. But isn't it Korean?