JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Music (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/)
-   -   Racism against Japanese Music (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/3169-racism-against-japanese-music.html)

jrockfan101 12-29-2007 09:30 AM

I love Jrock

Im a BIG Direngrey fan, so is my best friend. So she let me have her Direngrey 04 Code of Vulgar [ism] tour DVD. My mom says it gives her a headake so I can't play it in the living room with the speakers on full blast (Its like being part of the show that way) She also says they look like girls.
But she dosent care as long as I don't play "it" around her. I also ended up chaseing down one of my friends for calling them 'Dir en gay'. Ofcorse she was only teasing but it wasn't funny, and I did not like it nor apreciate the particular wording.:mad: She knows hoe much I like them. Ps Not the same friend.

VisualKei 12-29-2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrockfan101 (Post 339475)
Im a BIG Direngrey fan, so is my best friend. So she let me have her Direngrey 04 Code of Vulgar [ism] tour DVD. My mom says it gives her a headake so I can't play it in the living room with the speakers on full blast (Its like being part of the show that way) She also says they look like girls.
But she dosent care as long as I don't play "it" around her. I also ended up chaseing down one of my friends for calling them 'Dir en gay'. Ofcorse she was only teasing but it wasn't funny, and I did not like it nor apreciate the particular wording.:mad: She knows hoe much I like them. Ps Not the same friend.

Heh... my mom does the same thing with my Hyde CD. She always says how annoying he is and calls him my "fairy boy". But there's no better music to cook to!

MaymeRachael 12-29-2007 07:33 PM

I have that same Diru cd...but my mom thinks it's cool...and my dad always asks if it's them ^_^'

DivineBled 12-29-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaicui (Post 116402)
im fluent in both chinese and japanese(semi fluent cuz ive been out of 日本 for so long)

same here.

Fielia 12-29-2007 07:42 PM

I haven't played japanese music to my parents but my mother has heard a couple of songs by Dir en grey. I haven't played Dir en grey to my parents because I know that they don't like that kind of music. But they have no prejudgments on japanese music. Most people in Finland doesn't have.

Some people have. That's mostly because the phenomenon that liking Japan and listening to japanese music is cool. Some people don't even want to get introduced to japanese music because of that.

Absutoth 12-29-2007 07:46 PM

I don't think it's racism against the music being Japanese but the type of music it is. I completely violently hate visual kei bands but I love Japanese drone, doom, black metal, grindcore, and death metal bands. I also hate j-pop too.

Shadowwolf 12-29-2007 11:05 PM

J rock is cool but you know theres always alot of closed minded ppl especially in the States. Americans really are closed minded. Not as much as the younger generation but I guess its just that ppl dont like change theyre prettty scared of it ju know?

forgotenmemory 12-30-2007 04:34 PM

Hey, I like it!

CrystalTear 12-30-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarumonoKyo (Post 71009)
My family and friends have been making fun of me for listening to Dir en Grey. They keep saying stuff like "how can you listen to that stupid jap music? you cant even understand it." then then mock it by trying to imitate a japanese person singing, but they aren't even speaking a real language.

My dad was the worst. But he didn't just get on about the music he was going full on about Pearl harbor and stuff like that.

Finally, yesterday i forced him to listen to my Dir en grey CD on my way home.
And guess what?

He fucking liked it o_o
People need to stop being racist about Japanese music.
And stop underestimating Jrock.
It is good, you just have to give it a chance.

I have the same problem. When I'm listening to Dir En Grey or D'espairsRay or whatever, and my dad walkes in he tries to imitate them -__-" And indeed, he doesn't even speak a real language.

But a few days ago I was listening to some slow song of Gackt, and he was like: "Esther... Who is this?"
"It's Gackt, why?"
"... N-nothing... It's quite nice.."

I was like: "HA! TOLD YA SOOO"

Absutoth 12-31-2007 08:08 PM

I want to know how does Dir En Grey even fit in j-rock? They've gone more metal lately. I'm about to classify them as death metal if not metalcore. It reminds me of Neurosis starting out as punk and ending up as an apocalyptic industrial doom band. I highly recommend this band and Isis too.