obscureLOVE (Offline)
fiuuu <3

04-10-2007, 09:52 PM

does anyone have a really katana at home?^^
(#52 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
04-10-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscureLOVE View Post
i have a few modern reproductions....i wouldn't call them real, since they aren't handforged, and they aren't carbon steel (they're stainless)

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#53 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)
I wuvs Rikku the most! <3

Send a message via MSN to AoshiShinomori
04-10-2007, 11:19 PM

*sigh* I don't have a katana but I really want one! *Hopes OL-chan will get him one *

So continuing with education on swords, here is a special type of katana:

Shikomizue

The Shikomizue (transalates to Japanese prepared cane) is a Japanese concealed sword disguised as a cane or walking stick ( Watch out for them grandad's ). It was sometimes used by government officials in Japan in the Meiji period.

The name Shikomi-zue is actually the name of a type of mounting though. The sword blade was placed in a cane-like mounting (tsue), to conceal the fact that it was a sword. This mounting was used almost exclusively during the Meiji period, when the carrying of swords was banned. The blades used in these mountings were usually of poor quality.

This type of arrangement was most often used by period samurai who opposed the ban on openly carrying their swords but knew that open violation of the law often led to imprisonment and death.

Here are some pics!

Notice how the blade is straight and not curved...

And another one in beige

Shikomizue has appeared many times in Manga and anime. It has appeared a few times in the anime and manga series Rurouni Kenshin. It has also the weapon used by the fictional character Zatoichi, a blind bonesetter who is also an extremely talented warrior.

In another anime series, Bleach, Kisuke Urahara's zanpakutou is a shikomizue, when sealed. A similar sword is also used by Ukyo Tachibana from the video game series Samurai Shodown and Hibiki Takane from the The Last Blade.

Omae mo kanjite no ka... kaze no koe?
(#54 (permalink))
Old
obscureLOVE (Offline)
fiuuu <3

04-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshiShinomori View Post
*sigh* I don't have a katana but I really want one! *Hopes OL-chan will get him one *

So continuing with education on swords, here is a special type of katana:

Shikomizue

The Shikomizue (transalates to Japanese prepared cane) is a Japanese concealed sword disguised as a cane or walking stick ( Watch out for them grandad's ). It was sometimes used by government officials in Japan in the Meiji period.

The name Shikomi-zue is actually the name of a type of mounting though. The sword blade was placed in a cane-like mounting (tsue), to conceal the fact that it was a sword. This mounting was used almost exclusively during the Meiji period, when the carrying of swords was banned. The blades used in these mountings were usually of poor quality.

This type of arrangement was most often used by period samurai who opposed the ban on openly carrying their swords but knew that open violation of the law often led to imprisonment and death.

Here are some pics!

Notice how the blade is straight and not curved...

And another one in beige

Shikomizue has appeared many times in Manga and anime. It has appeared a few times in the anime and manga series Rurouni Kenshin. It has also the weapon used by the fictional character Zatoichi, a blind bonesetter who is also an extremely talented warrior.

In another anime series, Bleach, Kisuke Urahara's zanpakutou is a shikomizue, when sealed. A similar sword is also used by Ukyo Tachibana from the video game series Samurai Shodown and Hibiki Takane from the The Last Blade.
*giggles*
i won't one too i can buy you one and than you can buy me one back *smiles
deal?^^
(#55 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
04-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Katars are my favourite kinda weapon though ^_^ Yeah, the deal a lot ofdamage when you use three blades XD One more thing i wanna know though, is which class of warriors use them the most (as weapons)?

Oooo.. The shikomizue!! I've heard sooo much about it!! Thanks for posting it up, Ao-kun!!

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

04-11-2007, 11:31 AM

I walk around london with a samurai in my backpack.. just incase.. for self defence, ya know? I'd like to hang some samurais in my room for decoration, but alot of people come to my house everyday, so.. i feel kinda uneasy.

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
NewKatana (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to NewKatana
04-11-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscureLOVE View Post
I have 2 Katanas, 1 tiger sword, 4 ninja swords, and a dragon sword(just for looks).
plus I have 2 dagers and 2 knifes.

I was trained on the tiger sword, and on a tie chi sword but those are chinese weapons not japanese.

all together i have 12 sharp and deadly weapons hanging around my room. u got 2 feel safe when ur sleeping in there
(#58 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
04-11-2007, 12:35 PM

just to clarify....most people ASSUME that all straight katana are ninja swords...

ALL NINJA SWORDS ARE DOUBLE EDGED

thank you

moving right along, some samurai used straight, singleedged katana for stealth missions, because they could be worn on the back and removed quickly from their sheaths.

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#59 (permalink))
Old
obscureLOVE (Offline)
fiuuu <3

04-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKatana View Post
I have 2 Katanas, 1 tiger sword, 4 ninja swords, and a dragon sword(just for looks).
plus I have 2 dagers and 2 knifes.

I was trained on the tiger sword, and on a tie chi sword but those are chinese weapons not japanese.

all together i have 12 sharp and deadly weapons hanging around my room. u got 2 feel safe when ur sleeping in there
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i wont one too damn a adore katana's
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
(#60 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
04-11-2007, 03:14 PM

There is a style of sword called kage ryu in japan...and they have BIIIIG swords....

here's takamuku miyoji
Kage-ryu

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...